+551

The point of the video Kony 2012 was not that we all need to protest and donate to stop something that's been going on for years. The video is an experiment of the internet's power. To see if we can make this video go viral and spread the word to show congress that the special unit deployed to Uganda to stop Joseph Kony (ONE person committing these crimes) needs to finish their mission. The point is that you can make a difference with just a like, a comment or a tweet, amirite?

KateJoseph28s avatar
31 125
The voters have decided that KateJoseph28 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I honestly hate it when people say "Sharing or tweeting something doesn't change anything". Well guess what- I heard about KONY2012 through a Facebook post, so I shared it and am now buying the package. My money is going towards the cause because someone else raised awareness. It does change things.

Montanas avatar Montana Yeah You Are +40Reply

This probably the best post about KONY2012 that i have seen.

HopeImrites avatar HopeImrite Yeah You Are +35Reply

No...the point was to stop a horrifically evil man who is making children viciously mutilate other human beings. If it was shown that tweeting helped accomplish that goal, then yes, it showed that in the process.

aclw123s avatar aclw123 No Way +29Reply
@aclw123 No...the point was to stop a horrifically evil man who is making children viciously mutilate other human beings. If...

yes that was what the video was about, but the mission of the video is to spread the word about who he is and what he does and stop him by convincing congress that the special unit deployed to stop him needs to continue their work.

KateJoseph28s avatar KateJoseph28 Yeah You Are +10Reply
@KateJoseph28 yes that was what the video was about, but the mission of the video is to spread the word about who he is and what...

But it shouldn't be president Obama's responsibility, it should be uganda's.

As I was watching it it seemed a little be... Weird but it portrays these Africans as defenseless and in need of the "foreign hero" to help stop it.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't stop it, but the bandwagons who share it and don't really care much about this event other than that sharing and retaeeting will make them seem like a better person.

TalkingRices avatar TalkingRice Yeah You Are +6Reply
@TalkingRice But it shouldn't be president Obama's responsibility, it should be uganda's. As I was watching it it seemed a...

Since he's currently in hiding, uganda needs the US forces' help to locate him, they don't have the technology.

@aclw123 Since he's currently in hiding, uganda needs the US forces' help to locate him, they don't have the technology.

1 thing that pisses me off is when people don't research and rely on the video as the sole evidence.

Is America supposed to help achieve world peace because we have "advanced technology"

It would help, but do they really need the help? If the country cannot stand on its own, us intervention would only lead to some foreign conflict

TalkingRices avatar TalkingRice Yeah You Are +3Reply
@TalkingRice 1 thing that pisses me off is when people don't research and rely on the video as the sole evidence. Is America...

Every country should do what they can to achieve world peace, but that's just my view.

HopeImrites avatar HopeImrite Yeah You Are +7Reply
@TalkingRice but we are not the world police.

you know what, I'm in model UN and this is something we talk about a lot in discussions. How the US thinks they need to solve all of the world's problems. I don't always agree with it, but for this I do because we can help out a country with less resources and technology.

KateJoseph28s avatar KateJoseph28 Yeah You Are +1Reply
@TalkingRice model UN?

model united nations, we get into discussions and hold mock committees like the UN, we discuss world issues and how they can be solved and each person represents a country

KateJoseph28s avatar KateJoseph28 Yeah You Are 0Reply

When you talk about him like that, it reminds me of when my parents used to scare me with tales of the Boogey man

I already knew about Kony years ago and no one listened, it's a band wagon thing now. It's popular to support this cause so people flock to it. The organization itself is laughable, the goals and aspirations of that organization though are well meant.

@Sturminator I already knew about Kony years ago and no one listened, it's a band wagon thing now. It's popular to support this...

Well aren't you fucking special?

Kony was better when he was UnDeRgRoUnD. None of the small amount of friends I told cared. Guess it's HOPELESS.

Surprisingly, people have a choice of whether or not they should get involved. If you don't get involved, it doesn't matter. There's plenty of other people who are. You're just one person and nobody will give a fuck if you don't have the time or money to do anything to support it. I found out about it a couple of days ago and wondering whether or not I should get the bracelet for it.

People flock to celebrities. They flock to trends, and memes. They don't flock to important causes because fuck important causes. The public doesn't care for them. They want to IGNORE the depressing shit and they want to keep to their celebrities and stupid fucking memes and pointless social lives so that they can achieve this disgusting selfishness of happiness and self-fulfilled glory. The people who don't care for Kony continue to not care.

I mean even brainless teenagers have morals and emotions. Hell, that's what our society keeps yelling about. Morals. All over the fucking news with abortions and all. I'm pretty sure people actually care this time.

@AdonisBatheus Well aren't you fucking special? Kony was better when he was UnDeRgRoUnD. None of the small amount of friends I...

Well of course there's a moral line in this kony shit, but what the video proposes "turning the pyramid upside down" it was like the occupy movement, lots of ambitious goals and claims, but is it really achievable?

People do it for a sense of power, "ooh we can make congress do something"

@1659160

That I guess is right, but the occupy movement is more we want power, because their aims are REALLY unclear. and also

"That's the really beautiful thing about people is that they come together and do what they can to make the world a better place,"

I don't think the majority who link/tweet the video care, of course there was a moral line crossed in that video, but the support has been tainted with the phonyness of conformity. People are liking it just to act like they're a moral person, blah blah blah. in essence- bandwagoners

TalkingRices avatar TalkingRice Yeah You Are -2Reply

1. Chill out. If you can't argue your point without swearing, don't bother. It practically invalidates your opinion.
2. The whole point of what I was saying was to elaborate on how I would be rather surprised if the majority of the people claiming to be huge supporters of this cause were still talking about Kony in a few weeks.

I wouldn't be surprised if the excitement and dedication to this cause fizzled out within the next couple weeks. That's the way our society works. I'm sorry if my opinion offends you, but you must not misconstrue what I'm stating into me not supporting the cause to take down Joseph Kony and the LRA. Thank you.

@Sturminator 1. Chill out. If you can't argue your point without swearing, don't bother. It practically invalidates your...

1. No it doesn't. Get over it, fucking prude.

2. Well after looking into it a bit more, the whole thing seems like a scam, what with only 1/3 of the profits actually going to the cause. I don't think I'll be donating, but I will be silently supporting that Kony gets killed.

Your opinion doesn't offend me. I just disagree with it. And I'm a pretty cynical fuck so it's rare I actually defend the masses. If it fizzles out then so be it and people are jackasses, but at least I know there's a chance that we can actually turn off reality TV shows for a second and look at the problems in the world.

I think the reason people can listen now is because they see theres something they can do about it. The video shows people they can just spread the word to stop whats happening and thats not exactly band wagon jumping because if you're talking about it you're spreading the word, you're helping. But people who have no clue what this is and haven't watched the video and are just tweeting #kony2012 or #stopkony are a bit irritating.

KateJoseph28s avatar KateJoseph28 Yeah You Are +5Reply
@KateJoseph28 I think the reason people can listen now is because they see theres something they can do about it. The video shows...

This I agree with. You see, my facebook has been flooded with Kony 2012 and the video, but no one is bothering to actually state their feelings or beliefs regarding all of this, it feels like they are following a cause mindlessly. At least it's a good cause I suppose.

But that's one of the problems. People feel that ALL they have to do is post a link about it and the problem is solved. Montana was right when she said that it's great and all and it has led people to donate, but 1) most aren't doing anything about it, and at this point most people know about it, and 2) A crap load of the money donated isn't actually spent on stopping this guy. It goes to spreading awareness, which i guess you could say will indirectly stop Kony, but when 60% of the money is just being spent on new videos and stuff, it seems pretty bureaucratic. So yes, the idea is good, and I understand the whole "a tweet can change the world," but there is soo much more you can do to support the cause. And if a tweet or a facebook post is all you can give, fine, I understand, but most of these middle class kids can reach into their pockets and donate.

TLDR?: People can do a lot more than they are to help the cause

@yay_im_wrong But that's one of the problems. People feel that ALL they have to do is post a link about it and the problem is...

I see what you're saying, but the point of the video was to drum up support and get the word out. While the money may help, the donations are definitely not something you need to do to help the cause.

If it's being a "bandwagoner" to start caring about a cause once you hear about it, then so be it. I'm not going to get angry that millions of people are actually getting excited about bringing justice to a horrible situation.

The real problem with Kony 2012 is that it makes the mission seem simple: "Kill Kony, problem solved". But there are a lot deeper problems than one man or even one regime. It serves justice to kill this guy ASAP, and I'm all for that. But let's not be naive; actual GOVERNMENTS in Uganda, CAR. DRC, etc. are committing the same war crimes and atrocities to their people as Kony is. The problem can't be solved in one year through one advocacy campaign. Invisible children has good intentions, and they are getting people to care. That's good. If Kony is killed this year, that's awesome. But child soldiers will remain, and bad governance will remain.

I agree, i don't like that people all of a sudden "care" just because a celebrity cared. Honestly, if it had NOTHING to do with celebrities and it was all up to people, i highly doubt half the people act like they "care" would actually care. The experiment was flawed because for example, Justin Bieber tweeted about it and he has how many followers? A billion. Alright so I think just about all of his followers would care about something if HE cared about it. That's not the power of media, that's the power of popularity & fame. If it were solely up to society itself, then I would believe it worked.
Also, I too have known about this for years, over 10 years in fact and more like me and a large group of my college friends (when i found out about it) have tried to make a movement about it but it did not work, yes we did attempt to spread it over the internet and it didn't work too well, probably because things such as Facebook & Twitter were not too popular back in the day. It just frustrates me that people are following TRENDS not because of the goodness of their hearts.

That's all I wanted to get out there.

I'm noticing that a lot of my friends that are talking about this have no idea what they're even saying. It's like you watch a 30 minute video and suddenly you're the best social activist. They only know the surface of what happens. Why? Because they don't truly care about the organization or cause. Seriously, your own president will be signing the "Trespassing Bill" effectively criminalizing your right to protest. This is the dissapearance of the First Ammendment, and no one's saying anything. Where is the love for our own country?

@TheBroadwayAudition I'm noticing that a lot of my friends that are talking about this have no idea what they're even saying. It's like...

I love this. I concur with you, people don't truly care because if they truly cared they would have taken an interest on Africa and found out about this years ago then tried to make a movement about it. Bravo, love this comment.

Yes, that was definitely the sole purpose of their video.

"Let's show how powerful the internet is by creating a video about an evil man that does horrible things to children. We already know this video is going to go viral, because we have psychic powers, and will therefore show how powerful the internet truly is. By the way, we don't actually give a fuck about Kony, this is just an experiment."

I'm the kind of guy who ordered a StopKony bracelet. But before I did that, I read their entire financial statement to make sure they're legit. I have no life.

runnerdudes avatar runnerdude Yeah You Are +21Reply

I just want to make a few points that many of you have already heard and to those that haven't, this will probably make me sound like an asshole to you all, but:

First of all, of the $8.3 Million that Invisible Children spent in 2011, only about $2.8 Million (roughly 31%) actually made it to Uganda, and that amount was likely further whittled down by the government, meaning the actual children got much much less. In contrast, Invisible Children spent about $2.8 Million just on the filming and producing the Kony movie (and movies like it). Essentially, they spent more charity money making a movie about their charity than they actually gave to the children.

Now, the goal of this video isn't necessarily to bring in money to go directly to the children, but to help indirectly by pressuring the US government to get involved. And that's great... except for one thing. I gather that most of you are Ron Paul supporters, yes? And what has been his rallying cry throughout his entire campaign? "No policing the world."

@Kashish I just want to make a few points that many of you have already heard and to those that haven't, this will probably...

Think about what IC wants and decide if that is what you want. They want us to basically use our military to fix Africa. I think everyone can agree that what Kony has done is absolutely horrific and it should be stopped, but do you really want us to get militarily involved in Africa?

I'm not saying you shouldn't support Kony 2012, but I am saying that if you choose to do so, you should do some additional research and figure out what exactly it is that you're supporting, because all of the information needed to determine that is not going to be found in this video.

Comment.

Okay, guys, everything's all better now.

Ram27s avatar Ram27 Yeah You Are +10Reply

The reading I have done about the Invisible Children organization disgusts me. I can see that some of the information I'm getting may be one sided, but so is the information Invisible Children is giving out.

Kony puts the infant in infantry. What Uganda do about that?

@OnePenguin Kony puts the infant in infantry. What Uganda do about that?

Actually, since 2004, the average age of those kidnapped is 18. So the video didn't give you up to date info.

The problem I have with this whole campaign is that people are only supporting it because it's the popular thing to do at the moment. I know so many people who are apathetic to pretty much everything and now all of a sudden they're jumping on the activist bandwagon. I'm not saying it's bad to try to raise awareness now, and I'm not saying that everyone who supports this normally doesn't care about anything. And of course doing this is better than nothing. But as soon as this is over, a lot of the people who were so vocal about this cause will go right back to not caring about it or anything else going on in the world.

@foryoublue The problem I have with this whole campaign is that people are only supporting it because it's the popular thing to...

Chances are, there are people in his army who are going to step up when or if he is killed. And if not, what's the alternative for the children? Returning to abject poverty and starvation is probably just as bad, if not worse, than their current situation, and most likely as soon as the bullet's through his head people are going to forget about this. There are millions of children being exploited in many forms throughout Africa and this isn't going to change that, but I think that activism should be focused at reducing the poverty and famine that led to this situation, not at killing the people who take advantage of it.

And invisible children knows this, and uses it as a part of the huge machine that is their entire campaign.

It SAYS in the video "The next 27 minutes are an experiment"

@swimlax It SAYS in the video "The next 27 minutes are an experiment"

Yeah but people arent taking into consideration what that experiment actually is.

THANK YOU! Anyone who watches (or even just heard about) the video can say "Yeah its about this evil guy named Kony... so on and so forth" but if you actually pay attention you can see the point of the video is to convince to spread the word and drum up support. Clearly its working...

Kony's hiding spot officially puts Waldo, Anne Frank, Carmen San Diego, and Osama's hiding spots to shame.

Please, watch this, this is EXACTLY what I'm trying to represent.

@Sturminator Please, watch this, this...

I agree with this guy in that supporting Invisible Children is wrong. DONT buy their products, DONT donate to their organization, pretty much do not give your money to them in any way. If you wanna make a difference, use the contact forms they have on their website to contact the various celebrities and politicians about your concerns with the issue of the LRA's exploitation of children in Africa. Getting straight to the source of change is more effective than posting bullshit posters and buying pretty bracelets and t-shirts.

I posted this on another post about Kony, but it's still relevant. Just keep in mind that I am joking.

I'll agree that invisible children is sketchy(VERY. SKETCHY.). And I'll also agree that it's sad how many people were just ignoring Kony and the LRA until this fad came about. But honestly, the greatest thing about this whole KONY2012 thing is this - PEOPLE ARE NOTICING.

People all around the world, not just in the U.S. are becoming more aware of who Joseph Kony is, and what he does. And if we are actually able to have the word Kony thrown around like Karadshian, think of what else social media can do. I know, it sounds cliche. But the more this spreads, I kind of feel proud of technology.

GryndStones avatar GryndStone Yeah You Are +3Reply
@GryndStone I'll agree that invisible children is sketchy(VERY. SKETCHY.). And I'll also agree that it's sad how many people...

YES! Yes, yes, yes!! Exactly what I'm trying to say.

"PEOPLE ARE NOTICING."

No one can deny this, Kony has been trending on twitter for 3 days now.

"if we are actually able to have the word Kony thrown around like Karadshian, think of what else social media can do. I know, it sounds cliche. But the more this spreads, I kind of feel proud of technology."

See what we can do!? :)

KateJoseph28s avatar KateJoseph28 Yeah You Are +3Reply

My only problem with Kony 2012 is that this has been going on for a very long time, and Kony is not the only person doing this. It's nice that the issue is getting noticed, but what about the kids under service by other war lords?

@caleb My only problem with Kony 2012 is that this has been going on for a very long time, and Kony is not the only person...

It's not that we've completely forgotten about them, there's people out there fighting for them too. if anything was learned from Kony 2012, it could be that speaking out on an issue AND taking action against it, causes results. Since you care so much for these other children what are you doing to help?

@It's not that we've completely forgotten about them, there's people out there fighting for them too. if anything...

Well to help I could definitely post a facebook status about it. That would "raise awareness." And then other people would post the same thing, probably without researching it. I could even go as far to donate to Invisible Children, a company that makes a ridiculous amount of money, and uses a total of 30% of it to help their cause. Do you think that would be enough?

I'm glad the Kony video was made. At least now people who watch it will know there's more than just the stereotype 'starving children in Africa.'

It's nice that we're finally beginning to use the internet to its full potential more frequently. For instance, this from a few months ago. http://zd.net/wD47px

@It's nice that we're finally beginning to use the internet to its full potential more frequently. For instance...

I love that story. One of the pages i liked on FB posted that and its one of the few things that i have seen that has restored some faith in humanity. Side note: Hes is definitely one of the most badass people to walk this planet

HopeImrites avatar HopeImrite Yeah You Are 0Reply

It's not the governments' job. Its' not the country's job. It's the world's job, as human beings.

@1659233

thank you!

While the makers of the Kony video have indeed done an excellent job of modelling how effective the internet can be to pursue just causes, claiming their intention was to model that power rather than stop Kony is highly insulting to them and it should be obviously wrong.

The fact that it's only one person committing these crimes makes it even harder to find him. Finding and killing a single person can take a very long time

@Meagan The fact that it's only one person committing these crimes makes it even harder to find him. Finding and killing a...

which is why the video is here, to help the mission continue rather than abandon hope.

@KateJoseph28 which is why the video is here, to help the mission continue rather than abandon hope.

Was there ever a chance that the mission wouldn't continue? Our people are still in Uganda helping them. It's not like nothing is being done.

@Meagan Was there ever a chance that the mission wouldn't continue? Our people are still in Uganda helping them. It's not...

Yes, thats why people are supporting the cause. America is set to withdraw the troops in the near future. The massive support is to show that they should stay until this man is captured and/or killed.

HopeImrites avatar HopeImrite Yeah You Are +1Reply

Kony must feel horrible have the whole internet after him.

DavidSedanos avatar DavidSedano Yeah You Are 0Reply
@DavidSedano Kony must feel horrible have the whole internet after him.

But I'm sure he's fine with enslaving children and turning them into an army, it's the Internet getting at him for sure.

@Sergio But I'm sure he's fine with enslaving children and turning them into an army, it's the Internet getting at him for sure.

I'm sure he is fine with enslaving children. Do you think he hates doing that? "I don't kidnap children and force them to fight for me because I'm a power hungry asshole. I do it because I don't have a choice. It's very troubling"

@Brettward95 I'm sure he is fine with enslaving children. Do you think he hates doing that? "I don't kidnap children and force...

No, I was saying if he is ok wig enslaving children, he doesn't care about what people on the Internet think either.

@Sergio No, I was saying if he is ok wig enslaving children, he doesn't care about what people on the Internet think either.

Well you see, I'm pretty sure they were joking when they said that and I'm pretty sure it's not that he would care about offending people on the internet. I think he would care that the entire world wants to kill him because that creates an extremely dangerous situation for him.

The main problem I have is how the video never states a feasible plan for capturing Kony.

So he wants for troops to be sent in? Okay, that just means troops will be killed. The UN sent a team of US-trained Honduras Special Operations soldiers to capture or assassinate him in 2006. Not a single one survived. If we send troops, it's going to be like Somalia and Black Hawk Down all over again.

We watched it in media studies class for this exact reason.

Kaitlyns avatar Kaitlyn Yeah You Are 0Reply

That's what I wanted the point to be, since I publicly oppose IC, but, unfortunately, what it should be isn't enough to make that what it is.

@shorkian That's what I wanted the point to be, since I publicly oppose IC, but, unfortunately, what it should be isn't...

Anytime i talk about this topic with my friends who haven't heard about it, I tell them that while the video is great, there are much better charities that do more than Invisible Children and to support them instead.

@HopeImrite Anytime i talk about this topic with my friends who haven't heard about it, I tell them that while the video is...

There are. But that has nothing to do with the post. While people are still somehow amazed that the internet can do this, that's not what this was about. We tried showing how strong the internet can for internets sake with SOPA, but even that didn't get this big.

@shorkian There are. But that has nothing to do with the post. While people are still somehow amazed that the internet can do...

I know it really didn't have anything to do with the post. You said that you are publicly against IC too. I wasn't trying to get say you were wrong or anything.

Kony is NOT in Uganda. The video clearly stated that he was there when the group met Jacob and then he moved up the west coast of Africa. If you're going to be an advocate for something it's important that you know all the details. You make everyone else who supports the same cause look bad when you don't even know facts that were pointed out so simply.

Public masturbation. That is all.

The great unwashed is not that bright. I think Bush Admin. would've been netter off had they used the same techniques of propaganda to brainwash people into giving him the power to go after Saddam Hussein. Bush Admin wanted to go after Saddam, so they set up a false flag operation with hope that people would yield all power to them in fear. The Obama admin uses the same tactic: soften people up at the grassroots to persuade them to support whatever the government wants them to support. Convince people that someone needs to be done away with before the government goes after him. All it takes now is for something terrible to happen to the US. The CIA will just blame Kony and the people will willfully give the government power to do whatever they want to the dictator. It's the same tactic that America used to take us to war with Iraq, just executed a different way. If Obama stood on stage and, himself, declared that he wanted to go after Kony, smart people wouldn't give him enough power to send even one soldier over to that country. So he uses the Internet, a shadow organisation, and a savvy CEO to soften people up.

@The great unwashed is not that bright. I think Bush Admin. would've been netter off had they used the same...

This is the craziest conspiracy theory I have ever read. If you even watched the video, you'd know that it's not plausible.

@Sarah This is the craziest conspiracy theory I have ever read. If you even watched the video, you'd know that it's not...

It sounds crazy, but it's true. The world is crazy. Seriously. It's fucking crazy. So, obviously, anyone who tries to describe it will be seen as crazy. The Kony stuff is nothing but propaganda. Propaganda is designed to do one thing: convince a lot of people to do something by appealing to basic things they all have in common. If I say: "We all want peace", it isn't propaganda until I say "Now give me the power to make it happen." That's just an example template that all propaganda is designed from. Start with a common goal, get people onboard, then go about accomplishing the goal in whichever way you see fit. I may be wrong, but I'm almost 30 and I think I've seen enough of the world to understand that there is an entire part to it that people, particularly youths and young adults, don't pay much attention to because they are taught that rational ignorance is normal insofar as everyone appears to agree on what's important or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_ignorance

The invisible children have been a big deal at my school for years. Every year we raise money for the cause and people who are a part of the charity and people who have been saved by it come to my school. It kind of bothers me that this is such a big bandwagon thing all of a sudden when I've known about it and done something about it for years.

sydnaynays avatar sydnaynay Yeah You Are -4Reply
@sydnaynay The invisible children have been a big deal at my school for years. Every year we raise money for the cause and...

People coming together and supporting a good cause bothers you? To probably around 90% of the people that have seen it is the first time they have heard about him. Its no different than you hearing about it and supporting it.

HopeImrites avatar HopeImrite Yeah You Are +2Reply
@HopeImrite People coming together and supporting a good cause bothers you? To probably around 90% of the people that have seen...

Or i could've just read that wrong and you meant that its bad that its taken this long to get notice. Its pretty late for me.

@HopeImrite Or i could've just read that wrong and you meant that its bad that its taken this long to get notice. Its pretty...

I meant that it bothers me that it's taken so long to get noticed. Although now that it has been noticed, I'm glad that there is finally (hopefully) going to be some action toward stopping it.

sydnaynays avatar sydnaynay Yeah You Are 0Reply