+239

Oh. So Kony rapes kids, now? I'm from Toledo. Did you know Toledo has the 3rd highest human trafficking rates in the world? Yes. The world. Millions of teens are abducted and forced into prostitution. Right here in my own city. Every 1 in 6 american women are sexually assaulted. That's just reported rapes. Most rapes go unreported. I don't care about Africa right now because we need to fix ourselves before we fix other countries. amirite?

sixfeetunderthestarss avatar
16 70
The voters have decided that sixfeetunderthestars is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

You say it like you have to stop helping Uganda in order to fix problems here.

@HopeImrite You say it like you have to stop helping Uganda in order to fix problems here.

No I didn't. I'm saying we need to help ourselves before we help other countries. We just got out of one war, by doing this were probably gonna start another. Can America really afford that?

@sixfeetunderthestars thats not English!

I know but I wanted to be "that guy" who posts dumb sayings =P It's the motto of the Royal Navy "If you wish for peace, prepare for war."

It would be wise to fix things here. Why send troops and money to Africa, when we are this messed up?

@It would be wise to fix things here. Why send troops and money to Africa, when we are this messed up?

Because not supporting Uganda doesn't mean that we're going to fix our problems here.

If we had more support for the Second Amendment and abolished the drug war, shit would be going pretty goddamn well here.

I live in Portland Oregon, number one for human trafficking. I support kony 2012 100%.

@Pug I live in Portland Oregon, number one for human trafficking. I support kony 2012 100%.

Idont want to sound like a noob, but what exactly is human trafficking?

@mchalla3 Idont want to sound like a noob, but what exactly is human trafficking?

It's basically selling people into slavery. Thousands of children are sold as sex slaves in America alone.

pikabeaus avatar pikabeau Yeah You Are +1Reply
@mchalla3 But... Slavery has been illegal since 18something!

Murder has been illegal for centuries. Something being illegal doesn't stop a criminal.

pikabeaus avatar pikabeau Yeah You Are +6Reply
@pikabeau Murder has been illegal for centuries. Something being illegal doesn't stop a criminal.

If this is common knowledge (in Ohio), shouldn't someone have done something?

@mchalla3 If this is common knowledge (in Ohio), shouldn't someone have done something?

That's the thing. No one in power really seems to care. Everyone says, "Oh, that's terrible!" but no one actually does anything about it. Should they? Hell yeah! But human trafficking is hard to police. These people spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to cover their tracks. A lot of the children they sell are the children born to illegal immigrants and the children without birth certificates or SS numbers. These children go unaccounted for. As far as the US is concerned, they don't even exist. There are very few ways to prove they exist until they're found, and then it's usually too late.

pikabeaus avatar pikabeau Yeah You Are 0Reply
@pikabeau That's the thing. No one in power really seems to care. Everyone says, "Oh, that's terrible!" but no one actually...

That sucks. A lot.

Hey, maybe somebody can make a high quality, well edited video on it to spread awareness?

@mchalla3 That sucks. A lot. Hey, maybe somebody can make a high quality, well edited video on it to spread awareness?

Spreading awareness doesn't do much good when so many people already know about it. It also does very little good when there are no pictures or names of the missing children or the people who sell them.

@pikabeau Spreading awareness doesn't do much good when so many people already know about it. It also does very little good...

But wouldn't the illegal immigrant parents know the name? or are they too scared to speak out because they are illegal?

@mchalla3 But wouldn't the illegal immigrant parents know the name? or are they too scared to speak out because they are illegal?

Either they're too scared to be deported or they're the ones who sold their children. Though usually it is the grandparents as opposed to the parents who sell children.

@mchalla3 Thats terrible. So what can be done?

Right now? Nothing. It's just one of those grim facts of life.

@mchalla3 Can't we spread awareness like the Kony video?

What good does awareness do if you don't know who you're looking for?

@pikabeau What good does awareness do if you don't know who you're looking for?

Then how can the UN (I am assuming they are the ones who created this statistic) know that Toledo has such a high rate of human trafficking?

@mchalla3 Then how can the UN (I am assuming they are the ones who created this statistic) know that Toledo has such a high...

Because there are some reported cases of human trafficking that they can base statistics off of. The cases that are reported are looked into right away, but like most kidnappings, finding them is easier said than done. Awareness only does so much for these people. Things like these crimes are just a fact of life. We don't have to like it, but we have to accept it for what it is.

@1659650

How is it a scam just because it doesn't COMPLETLEY solve a problem? The video was made to raise awareness so congress could take action. So just because he is one of twelve we shoudnt attempt to find him and correct his crimes? I guess I just see it as bugger picture. I think the bottom line is some crazy shit is going on, and we should do what we can to stop it.

@How is it a scam just because it doesn't COMPLETLEY solve a problem? The video was made to raise awareness so...

It's a scam because Invisible Children spends more money on advertising than it does actually helping people.

pikabeaus avatar pikabeau Yeah You Are +18Reply
@We get scammed every fucking day, at least some good comes out if this.

But we could do this exact same thing without them asking for our money. They could just tell us to advertise and print off specific posters as opposed to asking us to buy their kit. The same video, but without the "buy our kit" ending would have garnered the exact same results. People would still be spreading awareness without having to pay a dime and we would see the exact same results.

pikabeaus avatar pikabeau Yeah You Are +4Reply
@pikabeau But we could do this exact same thing without them asking for our money. They could just tell us to advertise and...

Ok so where will they get the money to buy supplies, resources and food for there cause. Supplies does not equal banners and bracelets, but like books for school etc. Where will they get the money to get people to and from country to country. How will you pay your workers. Nothings free. And no one ever said 100% of proceeds go to the kids
Now im not saying they aren't wrong for taking so much money and such, but come on do you really think they just came up with this plan to get money.

@Ok so where will they get the money to buy supplies, resources and food for there cause. Supplies does not equal...

Kony2012 isn't trying to fund sending people to Africa. It's trying to raise enough awareness so the government will send people to Africa. There will be no money out of Invisible Children's pocket for Kony2012 other than the money they spend to advertise.

pikabeaus avatar pikabeau Yeah You Are +2Reply
@1660351

You do, you just don't realize because it seems normal. You might even be scamming yourself.

I said "some" good. They're doing more good than bad for those people.

@mchalla3 Advertising = raising awareness, which = "actually helping"

Raising awareness hasn't become helping people until recently when the troops were sent in. Now raising awareness is helping people because it will convince congress to keep troops there.

Crimes like that happen everywhere. Its important to help wherever you can. It doesn't matter what city, state, or country the criminal you catch is from as long as he/she is caught. And sharing the Kony video spreads it all over the world, not just the US. Even if it is a scam, this crap is still happening and maybe when more people realize it more children can be helped.

I live near Toledo, and it's horrible the amount of crime that goes on there. Not even on the human trafficking part, either, just in general. A pizza guy was just stabbed in the head because a pizza was delivered cold... it's fucked up.

Back to the subject, yes, I believe we need to help other countries TO AN EXTENT. But America can't keep it's nose in it's own business sometimes and it just gets us into trouble. And this kind of stuff goes on everywhere, not just Uganda. People are just aware of this specific place now.

@Adria I live near Toledo, and it's horrible the amount of crime that goes on there. Not even on the human trafficking...

i like on the east. After hearing about the rates I got instantly paranoid walking home. Especially since last ear there was a serial rapist raping kids on their way to school.

@Adria East Toledo is pretty much Hell.

I live in better neighborhoods though. Like really close to Oregon.

@sixfeetunderthestars I live in better neighborhoods though. Like really close to Oregon.

Oh, alright. Yeah, that's fine then. But actual East Toledo is just horrible.

@Adria Oh, alright. Yeah, that's fine then. But actual East Toledo is just horrible.

Yeah my dad wants really wants to move, but I'm sad because I have all my friends here. But well be in a safer neighborhood.

Wait, Toledo, Ohio? I didn't even know it was that bad... And I'm right by there in Northwood. O.O

Then tell people! Raise awareness, find out what you can do, and understand the steps. Yes, we should be more culturally aware, but just because we didn't know these things doesn't mean we don't want to help. That's why the kony video worked, on me at least, because it raises awareness to a problem I didn't know, or forgot about, and gave me their proposition plan and showed me how I can make a difference toward congress.

www.joyfulheartfoundation.org
It raises awareness and helps the victims. Check it outt.

I SAW THIS ON YOUR FACEBOOK AN HOUR AGO.
:p

I don't agree that we need to fix all the problems here before we try to help out other countries. However, I do find it somewhat irksome that everyone is so eager to hop on the KONY bandwagon because it's easy and everyone's doing it. People who actually want to stop suffering in the world wouldn't wait until it popped up on their facebooks. They would protest injustices such as what is going on in Toledo as well.

What OP doesn't understand is thats not about sending our whole military there, it's about 100 American soldier/consultants who are currently there, providing aid and knowledge/tactics to Ugandan forces so that the Ugandan army can take out Kony. These American soldiers are only to engage in combat out of self defense.
The thing in Toledo is that those are multiple, well hidden, and very organized rings, that are harder to get rid of than you would think. Kony's child armies are organized, but not much beyond that. It's just that Uganda does not have the tools and knowhow necessary to be rid of this guy. And that is what the U.S. is providing. And no we aren't "fixing" another country. We are aiding one. Actually multiple because Kony's army is moving to different areas. Read up a little bit more on it and u might actually learn fully about our involvement in Uganda. Because I garuntee you it's not the US starting another war.

I wouldn't doubt that.

@Fyre_Arro I wouldn't doubt that.

Yeah. This is just trending. I still don't care about Africa.