+222

If you don't understand the underlying principles, science can require just as much faith as religion, amirite?

Essems avatar
6 9
The voters have decided that Essem is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

It does't require faith...it requires you to educate yourself so that you can understand it. There's a big difference

@It does't require faith...it requires you to educate yourself so that you can understand it. There's a big difference

Yes, but until you do educate yourself, you believe that the universe was created in the Big Bang, for example.

Essems avatar Essem Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Essem Yes, but until you do educate yourself, you believe that the universe was created in the Big Bang, for example.

I know what you mean, but that still doesn't mean it requires "faith".

I would not be able to solve a Calculus III problem, but I don't have to have "faith" until I learn how, I just need to have enough humility to realize I'm too dumb atm to solve it

Flamewar inbound

Yes, but it's a different kind of faith.

@AntiJokeChicken Yes, but it's a different kind of faith.

Well it's the same faith, just faith in a different thing is what I meant to say.

It is for us non-scientists. Like, I am just blindly believing there are so many electrons in every atom. Or whatever..

Science:
"Science is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe."

Religion:
"The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods."

Belief and evidence aren't quite the same. At all, really.

@AdonisBatheus Science: "Science is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable...

Don't get me wrong, I believe in a scientific rather than religious view of the world, I'm just saying that you or I probably don't understand the science behind astrophysics, so if you (or I) hear about a supernova occurring, or an exoplanet being discovered, we just believe that it's there (or that it occurred).

Again, just to clarify, I am an agnostic atheist. I'm not trying to bash science in any way.

Essems avatar Essem Yeah You Are +1Reply