+494

If you won the lottery at 18 you would still go to college, amirite?

Astronaut_Wills avatar
2 26
The voters have decided that Astronaut_Will is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1662451

I'd probably take tons of classes that I will never need like Greek Mythology.

Astronaut_Wills avatar Astronaut_Will Yeah You Are +8Reply

The lottery won't get you very far unless you have knowledge about economics and basic money saving. Even then, the lottery really isn't THAT much these days.

notmuchnotmuchs avatar notmuchnotmuch Yeah You Are +6Reply
@notmuchnotmuch The lottery won't get you very far unless you have knowledge about economics and basic money saving. Even then, the...

lets look at a lottery that gives $1mil a year for 25 years, and you put it in a bank and don't touch it with 3% interest. after one year you'd make $30 000 dollars in interest, (keep in mind $45 000 is the average salary in the US), If you managed to live on this $30 000 over one year then you'd have $60 000 in interest for the second year, which is easy living for a single person. By the end of the 25yrs assuming you only live off the interest you'd be making $750 000 a year just in interest. AND that's just if you stick it in a bank account you could make much more than that if you invest it.

Saigots avatar Saigot Yeah You Are 0Reply
@notmuchnotmuch Basic money saving. That's what I said.

well I was more referring to the fact that lottery's are still A LOT of money these days, I agree about the skills, so many people win the lottery and end up bankrupt.

Saigots avatar Saigot Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Saigot well I was more referring to the fact that lottery's are still A LOT of money these days, I agree about the...

Yeah. I was referring to the people that go out and blow all their money and end up worse than before.

notmuchnotmuchs avatar notmuchnotmuch Yeah You Are +1Reply

I've honestly thought about this, and I'd probably just use the money to continue to pay for my school so I can graduate without any debt, considering veterinary school is pretty damn expensive. People that quit their jobs and radically change their lives when they win the lottery are usually the ones that end up wasting it all within a couple years.

Stepharoos avatar Stepharoo Yeah You Are +6Reply

I'd be going to music school instead of going pre-med

@I'd be going to music school instead of going pre-med

That literally made me sad to read. You should go to music school anyways. Being poor and happy is much better than "doing well" and sad. At least to me.

Astronaut_Wills avatar Astronaut_Will Yeah You Are +9Reply
@Astronaut_Will That literally made me sad to read. You should go to music school anyways. Being poor and happy is much better than...

You've probably never been poor. If your job doesn't allow you to provide a decent life for yourself, eventually you'll start hating it.

@You've probably never been poor. If your job doesn't allow you to provide a decent life for yourself, eventually...

How about we not jump to conclusions about other peoples lives that we know nothing about.

Astronaut_Wills avatar Astronaut_Will Yeah You Are -2Reply
@Are you poor?

Now I'm more of lower middle class. But my childhood was much worse.

Astronaut_Wills avatar Astronaut_Will Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Astronaut_Will Now I'm more of lower middle class. But my childhood was much worse.

I take that back. I'm about average middle class right now.

@Astronaut_Will I take that back. I'm about average middle class right now.

But you were a child. Obviously it wouldn't have effected you as much. Imagine how your parents felt knowing that they couldn't provide as much as they wanted for you. You think they'd be satisfied with a job in that situation? If they're kids were suffering, the bills couldn't be paid, living from pay check to pay check, etc. Could you really be happy with a job if that were the case?

@But you were a child. Obviously it wouldn't have effected you as much. Imagine how your parents felt knowing that...

If I was doing what I love to do then yea. We would struggle but we would get by. Just look at the Wesleys. Yes from Harry Potter. There are families like that.

@Astronaut_Will If I was doing what I love to do then yea. We would struggle but we would get by. Just look at the Wesleys. Yes...

Using a fictional family kinda weakens your argument. This is the real world. You're honestly telling me you'd pick doing what you love over providing for your family? You shouldn't be a parent anytime soon.

@Using a fictional family kinda weakens your argument. This is the real world. You're honestly telling me you'd pick...

Well since I'm 19, you're right. And since I will probably be a teacher. Yea. I'll do what I love an not have a family until I'm ready for one.

Astronaut_Wills avatar Astronaut_Will Yeah You Are +1Reply

Yeah, I'd go to college, cause I'd finally be able to afford it.

It kinda depends. I'd probably audit some classes I'm interested in and that can help me invest my money so I could make more, but I don't think I'd get a degree.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +1Reply

Hm, i'd really would have to think about that one.

HopeImrites avatar HopeImrite Yeah You Are +1Reply

I'd use that money to go to my dream college and get a degree in whatever I want and then I'd buy my parents a new house and stuff they sacrificed to support me. If I still had some money left over, I'd probably use it to travel or build my dream house.

I would go EVENTUALLY but not right away. I would take a break from school for a few years.