+135

If Catholic businesses don't have to pay healthcare costs for contraception, then I can start a religion that is morally opposed to taxes and have a tax-free corporation, amirite?

AtheisticMystics avatar
6 14
The voters have decided that AtheisticMystic is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I am going to join this religion, as long as that is our only belief.

bluedreamers avatar bluedreamer Yeah You Are +9Reply
@bluedreamer I am going to join this religion, as long as that is our only belief.

I can make it a part of the religion I'm making up with my friends. There are animal Gods, and they don't require you to worship them or anything. The only rule pretty much is "Don't be a dick"

@sighcantthinkofaname I can make it a part of the religion I'm making up with my friends. There are animal Gods, and they don't require...

Make it support gay marriage heavily. Then tell the government that making it illegal is against you religion.

@LittleRed Make it support gay marriage heavily. Then tell the government that making it illegal is against you religion.

That sounds like a great idea! In fact, I'm going to suggest that gay marriage is more holy.

I thought that churches already don't have to pay taxes?

@I thought that churches already don't have to pay taxes?

I think it's just property taxes, but I could be wrong.

contraception isn't a right of the government, taxing is. Please don't make thoughtless posts

@contraception isn't a right of the government, taxing is. Please don't make thoughtless posts

This isn't about rights of the government, it's about how far we are willing to take freedom of religion. Yes, taxation and contraception are different in that regard, but the point still stands. If they have freedom of religion that excuses them from providing contraception, do I have freedom of religion if my religion is against taxes? How far does freedom of religion go?

@AtheisticMystic This isn't about rights of the government, it's about how far we are willing to take freedom of religion. Yes...

as far as possible without it infringing on the rights of people or the government. being provided with contraception by your job's healthcare isn't anyone's right, and if you want healthcare that provides you with contraception, then don't work for a catholic business

@as far as possible without it infringing on the rights of people or the government. being provided with...

So the rights of the government trumps religious freedom? If that's true, why don't churches pay property taxes?

@AtheisticMystic So the rights of the government trumps religious freedom? If that's true, why don't churches pay property taxes?

yes, but there aren't many government rights that effect religious freedom. And there are numerous government restrictions that try to limit government intervention as much as possible. Churches, as well as nursing homes, museums, cemeteries, schools, hospitals, libraries and dance studios, do not pay property taxes because they're all non-profit institutions

@yes, but there aren't many government rights that effect religious freedom. And there are numerous government...

I don't consider churches non-profit. They make money and spend it on the church.

@AtheisticMystic I don't consider churches non-profit. They make money and spend it on the church.

so do nursing homes, museums, cemeteries, schools, hospitals and dance studios... you don't consider them non-profit? And either way, you can consider what ever you want. Churches are non-profit, and that's why they don't pay property taxes

@so do nursing homes, museums, cemeteries, schools, hospitals and dance studios... you don't consider them...

I wasn't aware that other institutions like cemeteries didn't pay property taxes.