-162

If your child was at the cusp of the age cut for school, you would hold them back a year so that they could have the academic benefits of being older, more mature, and more developed than the others, and the social benefits of being the first to see PG-13 movies, first to drive, and first to legally drink, amirite?

0 30
The voters have decided that this post is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

It's funny how this post has a negative score, but all the comments disagreeing with it are downvoted, while all the ones agreeing with it have been upvoted.

@cherryblaster It's funny how this post has a negative score, but all the comments disagreeing with it are downvoted, while all...

Maybe because not everyone agrees with OP's reasons for holding their child back, even if they agree with the statement. If that makes sense.

My brother's older than everyone while I'm the younger than everyone in my school.
Trust me, being held back truly does have its benefits.

iceeselenawizs avatar iceeselenawiz Yeah You Are +10Reply

It depends on the kid. I was sent to kindergarten when I was three, because my parents thought I was ready. A friend of mine who was born the day after me didn't go to school until the next year. Not because he was dumb, but because his parents didn't think that he was ready to be at school yet.

@PurpleMonkeys Whoa, where I live you don't start kindergarden until age five.

Here it's 4, but I was born in December so I was 3 the whole year.

@PurpleMonkeys So then now are you younger than everyone in your grade?

Yep. It especially sucks because I'm at university now and everyone's going out drinking which I can't do because I'm 17.

My parents were put in this situation and chose to put me into school instead of waiting a year. I think that was one of the best decisions they've made, even though I'm younger than nearly everyone in my grade and some people in the grade below me. I am definitely not immature compared to my peers: I am one of the most responsible and "adult-like" in my grade. Also, my academics certainly haven't suffered. I am currently ranked at the top of my class, exact placement to be determined at semester, and am actually bored in school because I am not being challenged enough. As for the driving thing? Doesn't bother me, although that's probably because my boyfriend can legally drive me everywhere. Really, it's a choice that should be made based upon the individual child's maturity level, demonstrated intelligence, and overall readiness to attend school.

@CaitiAnn My parents were put in this situation and chose to put me into school instead of waiting a year. I think that was...

I'm the same way. I was bored all through elementary and middle school, and I'm only being challenged now since I'm hard classes in high school. I seriously can't imagine how bored I would be if I had been held back. I think I would've become one of those kids who is smart, but just doesn't try.

@Fred_Weasley I'm the same way. I was bored all through elementary and middle school, and I'm only being challenged now since I'm...

See, I am in hard classes is high school but am still bored, so much so that I don't have to try and have become a bit lazy.

I mean you can't really back this up definitely. I'm by far one of the youngest in my grade, but I'm actually very smart compared to everyone (not assuming or bragging, just based on class rank). But there is the obvious drawback of driving, movies, etc. It's half dozen one way, 6 another.

I don't know if anyone else has read the book 'Outliers' by Malcolm Gladwell, but it explains why kids who are older when they start school are a lot more likely to do well. This isn't just in kindergarten or first grade but for years later. It's the same reason as to why very few of the best hockey players were born just before the cutoff for kids' hockey. The oldest players on a team have a huge advantage, as do the oldest kids in a first grade class.

no, putting them in a year early would put them a year ahead.

@Juliaface no, putting them in a year early would put them a year ahead.

Academically ahead of other people their age yes, but putting them in early would make them one of the youngest in their class.

@Funnyplants Academically ahead of other people their age yes, but putting them in early would make them one of the youngest in...

Ahead of everyone their age. Getting college opportunities before the peers who share their age

@Juliaface Ahead of everyone their age. Getting college opportunities before the peers who share their age

as a kid who was on the 'cusp' and was held back, i have to say it was one of the best decisions my parents ever made. since i was a scrawny child anyway, the extra year gave me a little time to grow so i was as tall as everyone else. i also did get the benefits of driving earlier/seeing movies earlier so tht was great too lol

Cgymnast7s avatar Cgymnast7 Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Cgymnast7 as a kid who was on the 'cusp' and was held back, i have to say it was one of the best decisions my parents ever...

We can just agree to disagree. It sounds to have worked for you but I don't think it would work for me

I'm one of the youngest in my grade (9th) and I won't be able to drive until the second semester of my junior year while some kids already have their permit. It's not fun.

If I thought that my kid was mature enough to handle school, I would put them in there young. But if I thought it might be another year before they were socially and intellectually able to handle school, go right on ahead and wait.
My friend was born right before the cut off date and her mom held her back. She wasn't ready to be in school yet. Some kids are.

my parents made me go to pre-first which is between kindergarten and first grade. I used to hate the fact that they did it but now it's not too bad, because I am always one of the first people in my grade to do something.

i skipped a grade, and i kinda like it. i'm the youngest one so it makes me seem a lot smarter then the rest of the kids and i like it when people say "you're still_!"

Then I would be a grade younger, so nope. And I find that most people who do that regret it.

I really don't want my daughter to be one of the first developed...

Does anyone have any...Christian porn I can look at or something to make me stop thinking about my hypothetical daughter's boobs?

I second the driving thing, I was born in may, not too bad..but a buncha my friends have their licenses now....and it sucks =/. Hold your kids back, maybe even 5 years, they'll be the coolest 5th grader when they take their friends out to parties and whatnot

aclw123s avatar aclw123 Yeah You Are -5Reply

'you would hold them back.' just think about that or a second...Your own child..

@Chewbanshee 'you would hold them back.' just think about that or a second...Your own child..

What's the problem with holding them back a year before they go to school? I wouldn't for any of the op's reasons but I would if I didn't think that my child was mature enough to handle school

Not gonna lie, the judgmental tone about something so ordinary made me burst out laughing.

Courage_Wolfs avatar Courage_Wolf Yeah You Are +6Reply