+309

I know that many people will disagree with me on this, but I don't understand why the whole 'gay rights' thing is still an issue. I'm not going to say the Bible condones homosexuality, because it flat out doesn't. But at the exact same time, the Bible does not condone sinning, and every single person I've ever met is a sinner. Gay or straight, equal rights should be a given, at least in America. Jesus said, let anyone who is without fault throw the first stone & I'm definitely not without fau... amirite?

heythereilikeurhairs avatar Religion
6 101
The voters have decided that heythereilikeurhair is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Religious texts are irrelevant to legislation in non-theocratic nations.

@DanielJames Religious texts are irrelevant to legislation in non-theocratic nations.

That's simply not true. If a nation holds to a moral belief, even if that moral belief came from a religious text, it is acceptable for the law to reflect that moral value.

Personally, I believe in legalizing gay marriage. I just wanted to clarify the difference between a non-theocratic government and an atheistic government.

@pantherfanatic That's simply not true. If a nation holds to a moral belief, even if that moral belief came from a religious text...

Laws can certainly reflect morals seen in religious texts, but the reasoning behind the law cannot be "because it's in this religious text," it must be "because practical reasons X, Y, and Z."

@1688697

Little known fact: people existed before the Bible.

LinksLegionaires avatar LinksLegionaire Yeah You Are +11Reply
@1688314

Ok, if you really didn't understand: The Bible or other religious books shouldn't be considered when it comes to making laws in nonreligious countries.

@1688314

Were you purposely trying to sound like a moron? Haha

What the Bible says doesn't matter anyway. Didn't our ancestors come here to flee religious tyranny in the first place?

@pikabeau What the Bible says doesn't matter anyway. Didn't our ancestors come here to flee religious tyranny in the first place?

OP's reference to the Bible was just a response to a big argument against gay rights. She was saying that they're right, the Bible is against homosexuality. However, the Bible also says other things that more attention should be paid to rather than hating gays.

@swimlax OP's reference to the Bible was just a response to a big argument against gay rights. She was saying that they're...

My belief, from a religious point of view is that yes, God hates homosexuality. It says in the Bible that homosexuality is a sin and it also says God hates sin. However, that is not the only sin. Everyone sins. That's the bottom line. So while God may hate homosexuality, he still loves the homosexual, as he still loves every sinner. So who are we, as sinners, to pass judgement on another for their sin?

It genuinely boggles my mind that there are still people up in arms about LGBT people, it really does! It's just so... normal, and harmless.

Chous avatar Chou Yeah You Are +12Reply
@Chou It genuinely boggles my mind that there are still people up in arms about LGBT people, it really does! It's just...

Really though, being gay is not as big of a deal as they make it out to be. It is so normal to me I can't imagine a community without gays.

@BowBowBow Really though, being gay is not as big of a deal as they make it out to be. It is so normal to me I can't imagine a...

You can't imagine a community without gays? I've never even seen an openly gay person in my life...

@YeahIAm You can't imagine a community without gays? I've never even seen an openly gay person in my life...

Holy crap, where do you live?! Yeah, growing up my parents had gay friends, and since like 7th grade I've known I had gay peers.

If people are born gay, then God made them that way. I don't see why he would purposely make them like that if he was going to send them to hell. God wants everyone to go to heaven, after all.

God loves everyone, gay or not. So why can't we?

@1688850

That's where I start to not understand.

I've never made a conscious choice to become straight. I've never looked at a male and said, I'm going to be physically attracted to them. That's why I don't understand it when people say gays choose to be gay. If they're gay, the likely been that way ever since they hit puberty.

sparesecondss avatar spareseconds Yeah You Are +9Reply
@1688880

Then, by that logic, shouldn't we all have some sort of latent "tendencies" in us that would choose our sexuality if we gave into them? Because if only future gays had them, then they would have been born with it.

sparesecondss avatar spareseconds Yeah You Are +4Reply
@1688880

I don't think I was born gay. I have no idea what "made" me like girls. There are plenty of theories, and some theories may be true for some and not others, but your theory seems a little too simple. And it's somewhat offensive to boil down the relationships that so many hold dear to nothing more than lust and tendencies.

I kind of feel like too many people look at homosexual relationships and think of us in a "Them vs Us" manner. But when you compare the relationships, the only thing different is the genders of the people involved, so the same thing that causes homosexuality must cause heterosexuality, it's just each person's subconscious psychological perspective of that cause that determines whether or not they will be gay or straight or somewhere in between, but because of the need to reproduce, most people end up heterosexual. <--- My theory
I don't know the cause, and really I do not care what the cause is because it won't change anything. But I know the fact that why I'm with my girlfriend has nothing to do with lust, it has to do with love. Yeah, it's different than most, but that doesn't mean it doesn't deserve respect. Saying "lust and tendencies" holds no respects.

@1689070

I think every relationship is different. You can't pin it all on lust and tendencies. Maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic, but caring has to come into the equation for most people.

Your comment only came off as disrespectful because of what I am so used to people telling me about my own life and how I'm just some lustful person who should just ignore her homosexual tendencies. Every time I see "lust and tendencies" joined together like that, my mind jumps right to that disrespect. When you're a lesbian living in the Bible Belt of Alabama, it's hard to imagine that a Christian wouldn't think less of you for being you. Not that all Christians are the same, it's just all the ones where I'm from are the same.

My main thing is why do people say it doesn't mention anything about "homosexuality being a sin" in the bible. When it most certainly DOES, how can a christian just flat out not see that when it's clearly written in verse? I'm not agreeing with anything the bible says (I'm an atheist) but I just don't get how christians can pick and chose and refuse to believe things their own bible says.

@1689139

The act of thinking and acting with another man as you would a woman is a sin. So how is it okay to be gay at all? because if you are gay then you are thinking homosexual thoughts, and that's a sin. Just like thinking of another person while married is a sin.

@1689139

So you can be gay but can't act on it? That seems unfair.

@So you can be gay but can't act on it? That seems unfair.

You can do whatever you want. What CherryBlossom said is that while being gay is not a sin, acting on it is. That doesn't mean you can't do it...

Why would it be a sin to be something you can't help?

@heythereilikeurhair You can do whatever you want. What CherryBlossom said is that while being gay is not a sin, acting on it is. That...

I mean can't as in if you don't want to go to hell for sinning. Why would it be a sin to act on something that you can't help? That's repressing who you are, leaving out an important experience and part of life, and I think that's sad, and it seems unfair.

@I mean can't as in if you don't want to go to hell for sinning. Why would it be a sin to act on something that you...

You could say that about anything though. " I'm a gambler so if I stopped I would be repressing who I am" "I'm an alcoholic" etc, people can't help being these things either but they can repress the acts...Your sexuality doesn't have to define you.

I'm not saying it's exactly the same. But I'm just replying to your comment with how I view it :)

@heythereilikeurhair You could say that about anything though. " I'm a gambler so if I stopped I would be repressing who I am" "I'm an...

You can't compare being a gambler or alcoholic to being gay, they're completely different things. I know you're not saying they're the same but they're so different that it wouldn't be valid to compare them at all.

I agree with your post I just don't agree with that part of CherryBlossom's comment, or that viewpoint in general.

I didn't have time to read every comment, so this has probably been said before, but the fact that "Marriage" is a religous term means two things.

1. It adds one more argument for the religious people that gays are considered "sinful" and therefore should not be allowed to marry.

2. It means that the government shouldn't be allowed to enforce it, i.e. "Seperation of State and Church"

I'd like to see Credetemi respond to this one.

Why is it that all religion posts have an insane amount of comments?

Big_Bosss avatar Big_Boss Yeah You Are -1Reply
@Big_Boss Why is it that all religion posts have an insane amount of comments?

I think the question should be why do they still have an insane comments. We've been through this a thousand times before.

Axolotls avatar Axolotl Yeah You Are +2Reply
@1689051

Aye, but I feel like people on this website have had this specific conversation way too many times. We should find something else to argue about.

Axolotls avatar Axolotl Yeah You Are -1Reply

"Lev. 18:22, "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."
Yeah I went there - quoting the bible. I'm not religous but I travel a lot and the bible's the only reading material in hotels. It denouces sinning too, but Jebus died for that so its all good. I'm trying to be the smartass here, but I think you really ought to read thr source material first. Digressing from that, the reason anti-gay movements are still a thing is because some people in charge don't have empathy for others.

@SetUp4Sarcasm "Lev. 18:22, "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination." Yeah I went there -...

That isn't about sex at all actually! What Leviticus actually meant was that a man should not treat a man as his inferior, because treating a man as a women was wrong. Back then a women belonged to a man whether he was her father or husband. Having sex after their marriage meant that she was now his "property". And besides if we were to place Leviticus in effect we would have to killed all unmarried, non-virginal women, divorcees, and people who mix fabrics. So pretty much no one can preach Leviticus without being a hypocrite.
(I know you weren't preaching Leviticus and you're not religious, but I was just putting this out there before anyone did use Leviticus as an argument.)

@Dameequa That isn't about sex at all actually! What Leviticus actually meant was that a man should not treat a man as his...

I forgot to add in that the word “lie” at the time was meant to convey respect, not sex.

Homos are all going to hell, so I say let them live with the little joy they'll ever have here on earth.

@Homos are all going to hell, so I say let them live with the little joy they'll ever have here on earth.

Homosexuals are going to hell?

I'm straight but I'll meet them there. A god that will damn an innocent person to an eternity of hell just for the different chemical balances in their brain is not a god I'll ever want to worship.

@1688853

It's not chemical imbalances? Isn't that what makes us produce hormones that make us want to reproduce?

Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

@Homosexuals are going to hell? I'm straight but I'll meet them there. A god that will damn an innocent person to...

They're not innocent, they sinned the moment they engaged in homosexual activity.

@They're not innocent, they sinned the moment they engaged in homosexual activity.

Like I said, if they're going to hell, I'll be right there next to them. I'd rather support them than your god.

@1688780

No, it is the decision of God, which is clearly shown in the Bible. That is, of course, if they don't repent.

@1688845

Right, but we can't make them repent (if we did, God would know it wasn't legitimate), and not letting them marry won't change that. Actually, my guess is not giving them rights just makes them angry and reject God even more.

That suggests that homosexuality is a fault, which it isn't. You're trying to say, everyone sins, so let them sin. You're saying homosexuality is wrong. But it isn't.

@1688634

I don't really agree with the post, because I think allowing sinning and condoning it are different things for the church, but yes it is fairly misdirected.

@Tim5o That suggests that homosexuality is a fault, which it isn't. You're trying to say, everyone sins, so let them sin...

From a religious standpoint, yes it is wrong. It says so in the Bible. But it is not the only sin. Every single person on this earth has sinned. I'm not going to judge another person for their sin when I am not free from sin myself.

@Tim5o It still implies they did something wrong, which they didn't. That's why religion is wrong.

You can say it isn't wrong all you want, but that doesn't make it true. If you do not believe in the Bible, then fine. You have the right to do so. If you do not think homosexuality is wrong, then fine. You also have to right to do that. And I also have the right to say that you are wrong, which you are.

@Tim5o Excuse me? What is going on here? Am I being outnumbered by religious homophobes?

What's this? A moron with lame comebacks?

Actually, I am not homophobic. If you would pay any attention to what I have been saying, you would see that I have no right to judge anyone else for what they do.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm What's this? A moron with lame comebacks? Actually, I am not homophobic. If you would pay any attention to what I...

But that's where my point is, you're saying you can't judge them, even though they are doing wrong. I'm saying they aren't doing wrong at all. And yeah, I'm insulting religion. Boohoo. Religion is nothing but trouble.

@Tim5o But that's where my point is, you're saying you can't judge them, even though they are doing wrong. I'm saying they...

So, it is ok for you to judge me for my religion and say it is nothing but trouble, but it is not ok for someone to judge you based on who you choose to like? You sound like a real winner.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm So, it is ok for you to judge me for my religion and say it is nothing but trouble, but it is not ok for someone to...

Yeah, especially when that religion tells you to judge those who "choose" to like the same gender. But actually, it's not a choice, if you didn't know.

@Tim5o Yeah, especially when that religion tells you to judge those who "choose" to like the same gender. But actually...

Actually, the religion says do not pass judgement on others. At all. For any reason. That is God's job, not ours. Before you insult a religion, make sure your facts are correct.

And actually yes, I did know. I am a psychology major, we have discussed this in class. I, unlike you, gather correct information about a subject before blatantly arguing for or against it. Personally I do not have a problem with homosexuals.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm Actually, the religion says do not pass judgement on others. At all. For any reason. That is God's job, not ours...

I'm not trying to debate, all I'm saying is that there is nothing wrong with homosexuality. Since you seem to agree with that, that would suggest the bible is wrong.

@Tim5o I'm not trying to debate, all I'm saying is that there is nothing wrong with homosexuality. Since you seem to agree...

I said I do not have a problem with homosexuals. After I repeatedly said that from a Biblical standpoint, it is, in fact, wrong. Homosexuality is a sin but I am not going to judge someone for whom they love.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm I said I do not have a problem with homosexuals. After I repeatedly said that from a Biblical standpoint, it is, in...

So, you don't take this religious standpoint then? Do you agree that the religious standpoint is wrong?

@Tim5o So, you don't take this religious standpoint then? Do you agree that the religious standpoint is wrong?

No, I just spent the past few comments saying that it is correct. I also think it is correct that we are not to pass judgement on others for any reason, which is why I am not going to hate someone simply for being homosexual when it does not affect me personally. I do not agree that the religious standpoint is incorrect.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm No, I just spent the past few comments saying that it is correct. I also think it is correct that we are not to...

So you believe they are sinning? You don't judge or discriminate against them, but you still think it's wrong.

@Tim5o So you believe they are sinning? You don't judge or discriminate against them, but you still think it's wrong.

It is a sin, yes. But I am not going to personally hate them for it because it does not affect me. I'm not sure how to make myself anymore clear, but you are talking in circles.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm It is a sin, yes. But I am not going to personally hate them for it because it does not affect me. I'm not sure how...

I understand what you're saying, it just makes no sense. You know it's not a choice, yet you still say it's a sin. I understand you're not going to hate them, which is good, but you're still saying they're sinning by being born a certain way. If they were created that way, wouldn't it be God's doing? So wouldn't that mean God made them sin? So why call it a sin at all?

@Tim5o I understand what you're saying, it just makes no sense. You know it's not a choice, yet you still say it's a sin...

Acting upon it is a sin, sir. And unless you have new information, I am done with this conversation. I have given you my thoughts and my reasons, and there is nothing left to say. You are grasping at straws that simply are not there.

@Tim5o Yeah, straws being your brain.

Good comeback, sir. I must applaud you on your utter brilliance and eloquence.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm Good comeback, sir. I must applaud you on your utter brilliance and eloquence.

Clearly you didn't want to have a logical discussion, so I went with name-calling. Yes, it was immature of me. I'm sorry.

@Tim5o Clearly you didn't want to have a logical discussion, so I went with name-calling. Yes, it was immature of me. I'm...

I was all for having a logical discussion. However, I felt the logical discussion was complete because I stated my points, backed them up, and then it was up to you to figure it out without me having to explain it ten different times.

This post isn't homophobic at all, and none of these comments are homophobic, and 'religious homophobes' is your argument?. Lol, don't get mad because no one agrees with your opinions.

What I'm saying is that from a Biblical point of view, it most definitely IS a fault. Your opinion is something else entirely.

@heythereilikeurhair What I'm saying is that from a Biblical point of view, it most definitely IS a fault. Your opinion is something...

I don't think a religious viewpoint should be considered in lawmaking anyways. But yeah, I get what they're saying.

Fuck the Bible, its gay

@1688543

I thought so as well. Anonymous speaks with such eloquence, it is hard to deny his compelling argument.