+276

I don't understand how people see Romeo & Juliet as romantic. It's a story about two underaged children who disobeyed their parents direct orders and ended up killing themselves over one another even though they had known each other for roughly two weeks, causing (presumably) years of mental grief and suffering to all of their loved ones that they selfishly disregarded in their retarded quest for...love? It's pretty fucking retarded, amirite?

Francoiss avatar
13 43
The voters have decided that Francois is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1688970

Absolutely. In fact, I think that is the biggest point of the play. Their families' petty hatred and other failings destroyed them--after all, Romeo's parents never knew what he was up to beyond the fact that he was wandering around in a melancholy daze, and Juliet's father was very controlling (there are some hints that he was physically abusive.) They were driven to find connection and individual expression outside of their families, but because those families were feuding with one another, their attempt at love collapsed. The pain which was felt at their death was not the children's fault, but the parents'. That's what makes it a tragedy: petty old hatred led to the demise of many promising young lives.

Well I suppose it's the idea of throwing away everything and anything for the one you love that is romantic. They were children, young and reckless. They made foolish, hasty decisions due to their naive ideas of love and paid heavy consequences because of them. Rather than "pretty fucking retarded", I think it's an interesting premise and the innocence is actually rather admirable since it's a love untainted by harsh reality. The purity of their love is very beautiful to me even if it did cause them to make stupid mistakes.

But that's just me. Since I'm not so innocent myself anymore, I think that sort of purity and innocence is especially beautiful :)

acisseJs avatar acisseJ No Way +11Reply
@acisseJ Well I suppose it's the idea of throwing away everything and anything for the one you love that is romantic. They...

its not love though.. it was lust he was "in love" with rosaline because she was prettiest, until he saw juliet who was prettier. if someone prettier than juliet came along he would have dropped her in a second, in my opinion at least

@maura17 its not love though.. it was lust he was "in love" with rosaline because she was prettiest, until he saw juliet who...

It is love though. A very very innocent kind. That sort of teenage love where nothing seems to have flaws. I'm not saying it's a deep, passionate love. There's a serious difference between adult love and childish love, but both are forms of love.

I really couldn't have used the word 'love' more haha

@hahaimright I don't know if innocence is the right word though considering they had sex

But they were still innocent. Innocent with their views about love and life, thinking that everything can be solved so easily, when in reality, things are much more complicated. They were naive. Is naivete not a form of innocence?

@CherrieBee And not just that. They actually went and got married based on nothing but looks/lust.

I think where Romeo is concerned, you are right. However, I believe that Juliet did genuinely have feelings for Romeo (or at least, she thought she did). Juliet was only 14 after all, and very naive. You could compare her to all those teenagers today, who are convinced that they are madly in love with someone, but completely go off them within a couple off weeks.

Also, if you know how to read Shakespeare, it's filled with dirty jokes. Especially that nurse, her mind definitely lives in the gutter.

Two days is a more accurate amount of time.

Thanks for expressing my exact thoughts, that was cool to read.

Ram27s avatar Ram27 Yeah You Are +8Reply

Anything can sound good or bad with the right argument. I personally would consider Romeo and Juliet to be more of a lustful tragedy than a story of romance. However, I understand how flattering it would be for a guy to fall head over heels in love after only a few days. I also understand that this genre of play would greatly appeal to the audience that it was written for.

I'm pretty sure they are underaged just because we live in 2012. Back then, it was normal to get married young...

@AppAwesome I'm pretty sure they are underaged just because we live in 2012. Back then, it was normal to get married young...

Yes, Juliet's mother actually says to Juliet that she was married and had already given birth to Juliet when she was her age. I can't remember when, though.

This post is like walking up to Shakespeare and slapping him in the face...

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Yeah You Are +6Reply
@Skr3wBall This post is like walking up to Shakespeare and slapping him in the face...

Not really. Shakespeare himself didn't consider R&J to be a love story.

@boxtop Not really. Shakespeare himself didn't consider R&J to be a love story.

Oh... then it's like throwing a moderately soft object at his face?

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Yeah You Are +25Reply
@Skr3wBall Oh... then it's like throwing a moderately soft object at his face?

Shakespeare might have been making the point that love is often times not real and can lead to trouble. If this is true, then he would have agreed with this post.

@Skr3wBall A FRIENDLY HANDSHAKE THEN!?

Even if OP managed to effectively outline the play, he/she didn't exactly complement it either. It could have done the story more justice.

and didn't they have sex somewhere in that storyline?

@Ram27 Nah, just the movie.

No, it's in the play too. It's just not written in an obvious way.

@boxtop No, it's in the play too. It's just not written in an obvious way.

I remember the part where she wants it to be night so Romeo will come and fuck her, but I guess Shakespeare is him and it's probably hidden somewhere, yeah.

Ram27s avatar Ram27 Yeah You Are +2Reply
@and didn't they have sex somewhere in that storyline?

Well, they do get married...one would assume that sex was entailed there.

@Well, they do get married...one would assume that sex was entailed there.

One could also assume that their loins being joined meant they were having sex. From what I hear, being married actually means you never ever ever have sex.

It was a relationship that lasted 3 days between a 13 year old and a 17 year old and resulted in 6 deaths. It was like a facebook relationship nowadays.

Romeo was also a lot older than Juliet, and was "in love" with another girl days before meeting her.

I love Shakespeare, don't get me wrong. Just not this play.

The play was actually over the course of five days. Plus I hate how Romeo kills Tybalt, afterall he is Juliet's first cousin. If I was Juliet I wouldn't be able to forgive him.

aquagal1017s avatar aquagal1017 Yeah You Are +1Reply
@aquagal1017 The play was actually over the course of five days. Plus I hate how Romeo kills Tybalt, afterall he is Juliet's...

Yeah, Tybalt kinda killed his friend after Romeo, because he didn't want to start a conflict, purposefully ignored Tybalt's insults, a cause for great shame in that time period, and his friend wanted to defend his honor. What a dick move, Romeo...

The creepiest part is that Juliet is 13.

The story happened over a 5 or 6 day period if you read closely...