+556

So the US government is pissed off about low test scores? Here's an idea- stop cutting educational funds. amirite?

Angry_Muffins avatar
12 33
The voters have decided that Angry_Muffin is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Or take an idea from china and make it so education matters the most. I'm not saying I like school but I think teachers are pussys these days and kids need to go to school to learn. If you don't do well, then you go to trade school. Unrelated but since I'm on a roll, the idea that all kids should go to college is ignorant. Some people aren't meant for college. Those people need to learn trades through apprenticeship an they can make a good living doing that.

@Matt_the_Jew Or take an idea from china and make it so education matters the most. I'm not saying I like school but I think...

My mum always says this, because at my school at every assembly they talk about how important it is to go to university etc etc, but there's a need for trade jobs, so if everyone's forced to go to university then there won't be enough people to be builders or electricians. University is not for everyone.

Now here's someone who sees where I'm getting at. For plenty of kids (including my self when I was in school) school was important, but it frustrated me to see it pushed to the side by too many. Including the government.

Angry_Muffins avatar Angry_Muffin Yeah You Are +5Reply

Or you could study and do what you're supposed to do. More money does not always equal better education.

@SnobbyDrugAddict Or you could study and do what you're supposed to do. More money does not always equal better education.

One person won't curve our test scores. Kids won't get motivated that easily. "Hey guys, we gotta beat china, so lets all study!" kids would be saying to other kids " Man, i'm not studying, someone else will probably do well enough to cover me"

Ethans avatar Ethan Yeah You Are +8Reply
@Ethan One person won't curve our test scores. Kids won't get motivated that easily. "Hey guys, we gotta beat china, so...

And now we're onto the fact that most Americans are lazy, laziness leads to obesity, obesity leads to health problems, health problems means unhealthy country, then U.S. population is cut in half, and the recession ends because there are more jobs available.

@Exploding_Chickens And now we're onto the fact that most Americans are lazy, laziness leads to obesity, obesity leads to health...

Way to be overly dramatic. Just kidding! I was thinking today we should just randomly drop bombs randomly, saying they're meteors. Thus, the world would be back in order! Yes, I'm psychotic.

Ethans avatar Ethan Yeah You Are +1Reply

Alternatively, a significant decline in jobs occurs because, after the rapid de-population of the U.S., many businesses fail because they no longer have enough customers.

a_fetuss avatar a_fetus Yeah You Are 0Reply

Exactly. I hate when people assume that buying more expensive things will make students learn better. Of course, when it comes to teaching them about technology, schools need the latest, but not every class needs a $1,000 "Smart Board" or computers at every desk.

I wonder if instead of spending tax money towards newer classroom technologies, students would learn better if we gave them better rewards for their achievements.

@1689597

school printers and copiers never work....

ravensrules avatar ravensrule Yeah You Are +4Reply
@ravensrule school printers and copiers never work....

My school has several rented (because they cost more than your car) xerox machines open to the student body that work like a charm. I never use my printer at home anymore because I can print everything I want at school

@StickCaveman Exactly. I hate when people assume that buying more expensive things will make students learn better. Of course...

Yes! My school just got a new building, and every classroom has a smartboard. The only class I have that actually uses it is math. All the others use it once in a blue moon so they can say they use the smart board.
I do disagree with your rewards plan though. I don't feel it's fair to kids who can try very hard and not understand a concept.

@sighcantthinkofaname Yes! My school just got a new building, and every classroom has a smartboard. The only class I have that actually...

They aren't going to be payed in the working world for a job they can't do...unless they're on welfare

Not trying to be a dick or offensive (I'm probably failing) but that argument sounds slightly communistic

@WinniethePooh They aren't going to be payed in the working world for a job they can't do...unless they're on welfare Not trying...

Right, but in the working world if they're doing poorly in a job they find a job that suits them better. School is supposed to be more level than the real world.
Plus some parents force their kids into higher level classes than they should be in. My school tries to get more kids into AP classes because they get more money for it. I don't really think they should miss out on stuff because of it.
Plus there's the whole "Why should we be paying them? They should WANT to get better grades" argument.

@sighcantthinkofaname Right, but in the working world if they're doing poorly in a job they find a job that suits them better. School is...

Wrll I don't think the school system should reward them for grades at all...my parents pay me to get A's and that's it. and I'm just very principled in that I don't believe anyone should reap benefits for something they don't do.

@WinniethePooh Wrll I don't think the school system should reward them for grades at all...my parents pay me to get A's and that's...

Hah, when I was a kid and my friends got payed for grades I asked my parents if they could do that. My mom was just like "Yeah right"
I don't think that they should get rewarded for something they didn't do, I just don't think they should get rewarded. I mean, they should want to get good grades, and if they don't I'm not sure rewards would help them. In my school we have a big problem with people skipping, and while we've been improving it's a big reason we weren't testing well. I must admit I've skipped class before, and have wanted to a bunch of times. In those times I don't really care if I get a reward for showing up or not, it isn't worth it. I just feel like all it would do is cost the school money.

Note: This is just based on where I live. It's a really mixed school, but we have a high population of poor kids. Kids who only eat regularly on school days, because my school offers free lunch. I'm also in Florida, and we're last in funding. So, it may work in a richer school, but definately not in mine.

Not exactly the way you said it, but yeah. Throwing money at something actually does nothing. It's the way we are educated. There are magnet schools in the U.S. with no more funding than other schools, but with much higher test scores.

How about some better food for the kids. Cafeteria food is shit!

Well son nothing is that simple.

shmads avatar shmad No Way +9Reply

This is the exact reason why I can't stand Chris Christie. I understand that he's trying to cut down on our debt, but how is attacking education doing a damn thing? Maybe these big shots should take a cut from their own overly-fat paychecks instead of attacking everyone else.

add more funding to schools = more school jobs = need better qualifications = better teachers = improved test scores = end of recession, since jobs are opening up for teaching and other educational fields = improved life style = USA beats China....maybe...

ravensrules avatar ravensrule Yeah You Are +2Reply
@ravensrule add more funding to schools = more school jobs = need better qualifications = better teachers = improved test...

I thought the reason why China has higher test scores than the US is because over there, if you don't test high enough in what we'd consider first or second grade, they'd kick you out of school and make you work at a sweat shops from a young age. Then they only let their smartest kids go on through high school and universities. In that case, the US has a lower chance of beating China because we let anyone, of any intelligence go through school, and in China it's their best of the best taking those tests. Idk, though. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In what way does more funding=more jobs? Also, more job openings would mean less qualifications needed because the jobs would be less exclusive. Also, test scores would not mean the end of the recession because there's no way to say that it would open more jobs. It's not that simple. USA is already beating China economically and the goal is to not let them beat us. Of course if you mean in test scores, you can put that right after improved test scores, which will not be reached on your chain.

Throwing money at the problem won't fix everything. Plus we kind of have trillions of dollars in debt.

Yes we have trillions in debt and just because there is money doesn't mean the problem is solved. This post is one sentence in a debate that can go on forever.

The point is some schools have no money to spend. Being a teacher in some parts of the country is not going to be worth it because of how little they will be paid. I've met hundreds of people at college and not one wants to be an educator.

Trade jobs are important an sometimes pay better than a job with a college education. Ex: welders where I live can get paid $16 to $20 an hour.
Thanks for the video TheresAnAppForThat.

Angry_Muffins avatar Angry_Muffin Yeah You Are 0Reply

But then that will take away money from the hard working citizens so then they won't afford to pay for their child to go to public schools.