+208

When someone speaks in an overly intellectual manner, you can't help but feel that they naturally wouldn't speak that way, and are only speaking that way to come off as smart and impressive. Really they just come off as pompous, amirite?

Frank_n_Furters avatar
9 9
The voters have decided that Frank_n_Furter is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

You can tell when someone is using big words as a show. It doesn't come as naturally and eloquently as it would with someone who regularly speaks using an extensive vocabulary.

@_Jojo_ You can tell when someone is using big words as a show. It doesn't come as naturally and eloquently as it would...

I didn't use it as a show. I never looked it up in a dictionary and really did think it meant something along the lines of like all high and mighty or someone who wanted to impressive, or something like that from the context I've heard it used in.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Frank_n_Furter I didn't use it as a show. I never looked it up in a dictionary and really did think it meant something along the...

I didn't mean you. I was referring to the same people your post was. I don't consider pompous to be a big word at all. To be to honest, though, its usage in your post did feel a little awkward.

I'm kind of weird like this. I randomly throw a big word into my everyday vocabulary because at the moment it's the only one I can think of to accurately describe what I'm trying to say. It's really random though because everything else I'm saying will sound really stupid and all of a sudden "authoritarianism" right in your ass. Unless I'm really mad and debating someone. Then I go into douchebag smart guy mode. I feel bad because afterward I realize I just completely belittled someone and crushed what they were trying to say. (not so much on this site as on facebook. the average user on here is actually intelligent) It's why I try not to get into too many debates on facebook anymore.

@1696543

This isn't about you, this is about Sheldon Cooper. Get over yourself. And if you had "verbal-linguistic intelligence" you would know not to say someone who is reading your responses and writing back is illiterate. And if you had any logic, you'd know that 1 ad homien insults get you know where and take away your credibility, and 2 that when someone says you possess a negative quality, the quality they commented on isn't a reflection of their own qualities. But you are so right. I am SO uncomfortable and threatened by smart strangers on the internet.

@1696543

How long did it take you to google all them big words? No one talks like that unless they're trying to prove something. Like you, right now, trying to prove you've got a level of literacy that most internet users are threatened by so they try to knock you down a peg to somehow make themselves less of an idiot. Maybe you are better than the rest of us, but hey, the rest of us have got friends because most of don't run around calling people idiots that are threatened by our superior intelligence for not having huge vocabularies and using them on purpose to appear holier than thou.