+330

It doesn't make sense when scientists say it needs to be so and so degrees to sustain life, for all we know, there could be creatures living on some superhot planet that would freeze to death if they came to earth, amirite?

mydaddidntpullouts avatar
7 22
The voters have decided that mydaddidntpullout is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

That's why we use the term, "known life".

@Astronaut_Will That's why we use the term, "known life".

The term "known life" is irrelevant in the concept of a planet having the ability to sustain life. Known life is the life that is known. Life on other planets is unknown.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +14Reply

Scientists don't always do that, and obviously OP isn't referring to the moments when they do.

Emperorerrors avatar Emperorerror Yeah You Are +1Reply

Yes. I agree, I've thought about this a multitude of times. Also things like water is needed. Sure, they're needed for life on Earth, but millions of lightyears away the requirements are almost definitely going to be vastly different. It only takes basic reasoning to realize that life that far away isn't even imaginable to us.

Emperorerrors avatar Emperorerror Yeah You Are +4Reply
@1700065

Alright, how about the majority of life on other planets isn't even imaginable to us.

@1700115

Ah, well, still :p

Emperorerrors avatar Emperorerror Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Emperorerror Yes. I agree, I've thought about this a multitude of times. Also things like water is needed. Sure, they're needed...

So what is this basic reasoning? The same laws govern physics and chemistry no matter where you are in the universe, and the same types of matter exist so it can be expected to behave in at least similar ways.

@MartellusBoss So what is this basic reasoning? The same laws govern physics and chemistry no matter where you are in the...

What I'm saying is, the chance of having the similar kinds of life forms created on another planet millions of lightyears away is extremely low. More than likely, other reactions leading to life would take place, and the environment would also be different, leading to vastly different life forms.

Emperorerrors avatar Emperorerror Yeah You Are +3Reply
@1700112

'IQ of 187'
Run-on sentence and comma splices
Thinks his IQ level is even remotely relevant to the comment

@1700324

That's a conjecture. I might be jealous if I had any reason to believe it were true, sure.
amirite.net/713763/1689841
amirite.net/713648/1689406
amirite.net/713648/1689708
amirite.net/713648/1689822
None of these were posted from your phone. Also, you're continuing to brag about your intelligence.
My comment on your arrogance was just as relevant as your comment on quantum physics. Why did you feel the need to mention your proficiency in calculus?

@1700112

I'm probably in way over my head here, but here goes:

Quantum tunnelling is a violation of classical mechanics, which is no longer considered definitive. It is explained in quantum mechanics through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, so is it really a violation?

And now we're back down to my question. No matter where it is, matter is constrained by the same laws, so why is logical to believe that life elsewhere will be fundamentally different than life here?

Exactly. Even on Earth we have bacteria living in all sorts of extreme environments. Who's to say that a more complex life form couldn't have evolved and do the same elsewhere?

Cuban_Bs avatar Cuban_B Yeah You Are +3Reply

Actually it does make sense because we're talking about the temperature of the planet Earth and it's inhabitants. Humans need it to be in a certain temperature range for sure, that's why it's dangerous to get a 105 degree body temperature when you're sick because you basically start cooking yourself and breaking down your cells.

shmads avatar shmad No Way +1Reply
@PurpleGumDrop But "life" doesn't necessarily mean humans, for all we know.

Yes that's why scientists use the term "known life" as I think someone above was trying to say, so that narrows it down to just Earth's organisms

shmads avatar shmad No Way +2Reply
@shmad Actually it does make sense because we're talking about the temperature of the planet Earth and it's inhabitants...

We're not talking about planet earth and it's inhabitants, we're talking about creatures anywhere and scientists saying the conditions on that planet would have to be earth like, but for all we know if they came to earth they'd freeze to death because they were living on a super hot planet.

Also, does any one know why random words in posts and comments are blue and underlined and take you to weird sites?

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Frank_n_Furter We're not talking about planet earth and it's inhabitants, we're talking about creatures anywhere and scientists...

Oh I see what you mean, but I think scientists mean that for there to be life there needs to be water which can only exist in Earth-like conditions, but of course outer space is one of those things in science that we just are not certain about so yeh and also I've never seen blue words in comments so I'm not sure but they might be advertisements oops sorry i like run-on sentences

shmads avatar shmad No Way 0Reply
@shmad Oh I see what you mean, but I think scientists mean that for there to be life there needs to be water which can...

But what if there doesn't have to be water? What if they hydrate with something that would be toxic to us because evolution made their bodies equipt for that? For example, on earth there are worms that have evolved to live in a lake with what would normally be toxic levels of some type of poision (I'm pretty sure it started with an a) and they breathed in a different type of gas? Scientists can't use life on earth as a basis for life on all planets, because they could have evolved differently. There are animals here able to live in -60 degrees F and in hydrothermal vents in the ocean. So it's impossible to say something could or could not live on another planet if it didn't have earth like conditions because no life anywhere else has ever been observed.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Frank_n_Furter But what if there doesn't have to be water? What if they hydrate with something that would be toxic to us because...

Yeah I know that's what I'm saying, that's some shit we don't know about yet and it could very well be out there

shmads avatar shmad No Way -1Reply

I have thought about that and have thought that there might be an organism that lives on, let's say the sun, that would freeze to death on earth, but there is no evidence that says otherwise, If there becomes alternative livable climates I'll change, but we dont have any proof, So I'm just going off of what I know, and carbon dioxide? Plants, genius, haha:p

well, actually, no. if a planet is much too hot, all organic materials would vaporize. life cannot form without organic materials. unless life can form from solid rock, this is not possible. you could argue that i never know, but you also never know if a 90 foot tall leprechaun plays an ocarina in his tutu at the core of jupiter, while eating cotton candy made from star plasma, but that is highly unlikely. Archaebacteria can survive at very high temperatures, but with no liquids or organic materials, nothing could.

@well, actually, no. if a planet is much too hot, all organic materials would vaporize. life cannot form without...

But the "what-ifs" aren't as drastic as your leprechaun scenario. Who is to say there is no life form billions of lightyears away that doesn't need water, but instead lives off of, say, carbon dioxide? There are many planets that could support them, while also not living up to our earthling Standards of Life.

PurpleGumDrops avatar PurpleGumDrop Yeah You Are 0Reply