+276

If a man and a woman honestly only had sex once they were married, and only with each other, and remained faithful, there would be a lot less problems in this world. amirite?

danieljc2008s avatar
6 46
The voters have decided that danieljc2008 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

It would stop like 4 problems. Teenage pregnancy, adultery, cheating, divorce because of cheating. These aren't even big problems when you look at starvation, dwindling resources, pollution, etc. They're pretty petty problems and the world wouldn't be that much better without them.

Dameequas avatar Dameequa No Way +11Reply
@1701875

That might be the worst solution to hunger around the world that i have ever heard. And I've heard "Let's just make them eat each other."

@1701903

I would expect the population to be only slightly smaller, though.

@1701994

Polygamous relationships are okay in some cultures though. And while it's true that a lot of people are born to unwed parents, it's an extremely low number when you really look at just how big our population is and how fast it's growing.

@1702004

Okay, that's a believable statistic, but it's only in the US, which is not the most populated country, most crowded country, or holder of the fastest growing population. Even without that, I think the population would still be soaring world wide.

@1702004

I think the phrase "born out of wedlock" is silly and it seems to be saying that adults can only have babies unless they're married. Some people may not have the money to be able to get married, but are happily in a long term partnership, yet their child would still be called a "baby born out of wedlock" as if it's a bad thing.

Sorry that was really random and nothing to do with the post, but reading your discussion was more interesting than commenting on the post, and the phrasing you used caught my eye.

@Cedz I think the phrase "born out of wedlock" is silly and it seems to be saying that adults can only have babies unless...

... I sorta feel like if we were simply the product of evolution, we wouldn't have this problem, or marriage wouldn't be applicable in any sense of the word. Do animals have STD's? I'm... genuinely wondering that.

danieljc2008s avatar danieljc2008 Yeah You Are -4Reply
@Dameequa It would stop like 4 problems. Teenage pregnancy, adultery, cheating, divorce because of cheating. These aren't...

And there would be less/no STDs, less single mothers, and people would be more committed to their partners (brain releases less and less oxytocinthe bonding chemical the more people someone screws)

PenguinsFlys avatar PenguinsFly Yeah You Are +16Reply

What about the people that don't want to get married?

Also an honest and thorough understanding of sex, contraceptives, and stds would solve the same problems.

@What about the people that don't want to get married? Also an honest and thorough understanding of sex...

Perhaps. The thing about sex is that it's the deepest form of communication and togetherness that we have as human beings. Sexual intercourse brings about something called a soul tie, which brings those engaged in the act closer together. Its no wonder its said that the two shall become one flesh. And if those people aren't in a committed relationship, they run the risk of emotional pain. Not saying that married people don't divorce or go through emotional strain, but married people make a promise to stay together before each other and the world.

danieljc2008s avatar danieljc2008 Yeah You Are -1Reply
@danieljc2008 Perhaps. The thing about sex is that it's the deepest form of communication and togetherness that we have as human...

Two unmarried people could make the same commitment. And you're making the assumption that everyone is monogamous. What will make you happy won't necessarily make someone else happy. And everyone experiences emotional pain, not just couples. But even if two people are risking it, so what? Every relationship I've ever had I'm glad of. Good stuff went down along with some bad, and I wouldn't change that.

Having said that, sex means different things to different people. Maybe you'll experience the soul tie you spoke of, and that's great. But sex doesn't have to be meaningless just because two people aren't married or in love. Sorry, but it sounds like you're projecting your ideals onto everyone else and that really doesn't work.

True story: This is how things were in China in the 1970's and 80's. Sometimes (let me repeat that-- SOMETIMES) when a husband first took his wife to bed, he wouldn't know which hole to use, or was so bad at sex that it caused the woman great physical pain. Then, of course, she would be disinclined to have sex. This led to an increase is spousal rape and domestic violence as a result of sexual frustration in the marriage.

I'm sure there were other factors, like inadequate sex-ed classes. Although arguably, we also have that problem, given the 'abstinence only' education programs that are being used in some areas.

Edit: Preemptively, I am not arguing the opposite, that people go around and sleep with everyone they meet. But a having safe sexual encounters with a few partners before marriage is entirely reasonable.

@1701968

All valid points, and of course the Chinese information blackout had a lot to do with it.

I'm not trying to claim that all hell would break loose if no one had sex before marriage. I'm just trying to point out that there are potential ramifications, and that the world is not as simple as OP would like to think.

What about gay marriage? Two people who love and are committed to each other who aren't allowed to marry in some contries.

I'm not really sure how much of a difference that would make in the "world."

@Cpt_McMuffin I'm not really sure how much of a difference that would make in the "world."

It would stop.....adultery. Maybe teenage pregnancy. But those aren't even huge issues when it comes to global problems.

@ScottyD It would stop.....adultery. Maybe teenage pregnancy. But those aren't even huge issues when it comes to global problems.

Yeah, and adultery isn't a big deal at all in a lot of countries. "Remaining faithful" is extremely subjective, seeing as in a lot of cultures people can have multiple spouses.

@1701907

What I meant was that adultery goes on, but no one really cares. It's still called adultery, but it's not such a horrible thing in those places. But fine, let's say we stopped all adultery. I'm sure all of the enslaved laborers and starving children would be very, very happy.

@itube It would probably lower the spread of AIDS in Africa too.

It would lower the spreads of just about every STD. But I'm going to assume people can still get divorced, so they wouldn't disappear completely like I saw someone say. If Divorce wouldn't be allowed then we're setting ourselves back a few hundred years to when the Church controlled it and women were stranded in abusive relationships where the men had all the power legally.

What if you never have sex until you're married, then find that you and your spouse are sexually incompatible? That's going to have a big effect on the marriage. Your hypothetical world is harder to achieve than you might think.

@danieljc2008 Define 'sexually incompatible', please.

There are many ways to be sexually incompatible. For instance, if one partner's libido is much higher than the other partner's, it can cause a lot of problems. It's just as hard to have sex when you're not in the mood as it is NOT to have sex when you ARE in the mood. And then, if one partner has kinks he or she needs satisfied, and the other partner isn't willing to satisfy them, then once again, there is a problem.

It's hard to define, but if you ever find out you're sexually incompatible with someone, you will definitely know.

I don't think it's that easy.
Plus, I sure as hell wouldn't be happy in that situation.

@danieljc2008 Why not?

I don't want to be with the same person my whole life. I like being with different women, sounds bad, I know.

@kerouac I don't want to be with the same person my whole life. I like being with different women, sounds bad, I know.

I don't think the post is saying that this is what should happen, or even possible, but there would be a lot less problems.

LittleReds avatar LittleRed Yeah You Are +1Reply
@1702094

I just wanna know why the world thinks that if an idea is 'old', its invalid. -sigh-

danieljc2008s avatar danieljc2008 Yeah You Are +2Reply

I don't there would be a LOT less problems in the world, and I think any problems that would arise could be solved in better ways, like sex ed.