+159

Some people say that people with certain mental disabilities should be respected too because the only emotions they can feel are happiness and love and friendship. This is ridiculous. Dehumanizing someone only distances them, amirite?

shelbmes avatar
3 6
The voters have decided that shelbme is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Are there really people who think the mentally handicapped are only capable of positive emotions? Seriously? That's a load of bullshit.

They're human beings with complex emotions and mental processes just like any of us. They shouldn't be spotlighted or treated any differently just because they learn at a slower pace or what have you. The best thing you can do for people with special needs is treat them just like anyone else.

monstrositys avatar monstrosity Yeah You Are +3Reply
@monstrosity Are there really people who think the mentally handicapped are only capable of positive emotions? Seriously? That's...

Exactly. I've seen multiple posts here about, like, how great their cousin with Down's is because they're never sad or whatever and they don't seem to realize how condescending they sound.

shelbmes avatar shelbme Yeah You Are +2Reply
@shelbme Exactly. I've seen multiple posts here about, like, how great their cousin with Down's is because they're never sad...

My sister has Down's... trust me, she gets sad. And mad. And annoyed. And bratty. And all those other normal emotions.

monstrositys avatar monstrosity Yeah You Are +2Reply
@1704246

It's really interesting that you have both perspectives of the topic. It's okay to feel bad for someone, as long as you don't go around declaring that they have no feelings.

shelbmes avatar shelbme Yeah You Are +1Reply

I don't like the idea of shoving mentally handicapped people in this jail full of rainbows and happiness.

If they don't go out and experience the world for themselves and adapt to it, they're going to grow up stupid. Even worse, they might start using their handicap as an excuse to not do anything (see also: Chris-Chan).

AdonisBatheuss avatar AdonisBatheus Yeah You Are 0Reply