+607

Telling your child to not talk back is the verbal equivalent of chaining your opponent to a wall, stabbing him repeatedly, and saying "Ha ha! I sure won that fight!" amirite?

Miss_Courage_Wolfs avatar
55 46
The voters have decided that Miss_Courage_Wolf is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1730530

Id like to ignore most of this comment and focus on the last part. Wtf?

@1730530

I think the point is that children should be taught when to talk back rather than to not talk back at all. You know, how to argue and things like that.

@1730530

That's one of the best stories I've heard in a long time.

@1730530

Sounds like a pretty bad experience to me. Hope your parents came around and accept you for who you are now, Originality_is_Dead

Myranias avatar Myrania Yeah You Are +11Reply
@1730530

The first time I read that I was like came out of what...

Mhmmms avatar Mhmmm Yeah You Are +3Reply

My dad and brothers told me not to "talk back" or give them attitude a lot starting when I was five years old. This included talking at all, or ever changing the tone of my voice.
Now people make fun of me for having a monotonous voice and being antisocial.

I believe that parents have every right to tell their children not to talk back, but there are boundaries.

This reminds me of people that will get in an argument and give their side of the argument and say "that's all I have to say. I'm done with this argument" and then refuse to listen to your side of the argument.

Blake11royss avatar Blake11roys Yeah You Are +38Reply
@Blake11roys This reminds me of people that will get in an argument and give their side of the argument and say "that's all I...

I occasionally do that to my younger sister (usually when she's been fighting with our even younger sister), because she gets very emotional and unreasonable when she's upset. I do it to make them stop fighting, and to tell her to stop picking on the sister that's four years younger than her. Also, she's one of those types who always has to get the last word in, so... yeah. It's easiest that way.

Oh, and upvote because Rainbow Dash.

I was allowed to talk back as long as I cut the attitude and didn't raise my voice. I was a good kid, but my smart mouth used to get me in trouble.

@_Jojo_ I was allowed to talk back as long as I cut the attitude and didn't raise my voice. I was a good kid, but my smart...

My parents used to get mad when I calmly said what I thought of the matter and why. I wasn't even allowed to share my thoughts (and never in a rude way, I was too scared of my parents to do so) or opinion.

Myranias avatar Myrania Yeah You Are +8Reply

That's when it becomes unfair. I think once I told my mom it was unfair not to let me talk back, and that's when she said I could as long as I was respectful. Sometimes it didn't work just like when they tell you you won't get in trouble if you tell the truth.

I can't even talk when I'm getting yelled at or I get accused of raising my voice. Then my dad gets mad when I don't say anything during a fight. My parents give me headaches.

SmartSpoons avatar SmartSpoon Yeah You Are +12Reply
@SmartSpoon I can't even talk when I'm getting yelled at or I get accused of raising my voice. Then my dad gets mad when I...

Same... but it all gets better as soon as you get a place of your own :) unless you get an annoying partner x_x

Myranias avatar Myrania Yeah You Are +2Reply

Whenever my mom is talking sternly to me, if I present my case one of the following happens: she says "watch it", she glares at me so intensly I feel like she's strangling my soul, or she says "I'm not going to argue about it" even though everyone knows that's a lie. But I'm not a complete dumbass; I know when to hold my tongue.

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are +10Reply

Comparing a child's rule to a fatal torture... Sheesh you people.

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Yeah You Are +8Reply

We don't even realize how often parenting can be considered abusive, and psychologically damaging. Sometimes parents are way out of line with what they tell/ask of their child, and we as a society should not encourage submission to abuse, especially if it comes from the people who are supposed to help you thrive.

Being a parent doesn't automatically give you entitlement. You have to earn it with appropriate treatment of your child.

At first I read it as talk "black".. wasn't really sure what to make of that. But yeah talk back.. that makes more sense.

I hate it when my parents say I'm always trying to get the last word in. They're trying to get the last word just by saying that.

Slendermans avatar Slenderman Yeah You Are +3Reply

Eh, I have two older siblings. Both of them are extremely sassy and always talk back to my parents.

When I was little, my parents assumed I would be the same so before I even argued, they told me to not talk. Now whenever my dad is angry, I just shiver and wait it out.

It's most irritating when my dad does this. I make sure to speak calmly and at least somewhat respectfully (on the flip side, it's usually him raising his voice and possibly throwing in insults) but it seems like the very fact that I dare to speak my own position and argue my side pisses him off. Also, I think he does it because he knows I'm often right. But then again, he can be a very stubborn and illogical man when he loses his temper. :/ I hate how I have to be the adult in these situations, because he acts like a child.

Well that is if your opponent is equal. Parents aren't equal to their children. Parents > child.

@Well that is if your opponent is equal. Parents aren't equal to their children. Parents > child.

That's a little harsh, saying a child is somehow less that his or her parents. I don't see how they are any different than each other; they're both humans therefore both equals.

Reverse psychology, man. My parents tell me not to talk back, and I do just that with my voice raised a little higher.

God I'm immature. :U

Adoreas avatar Adorea Yeah You Are -31Reply
@1730526

It's reverse psychology if for some reason his parents wanted him to talk back.

@1730543

The likelihood of what the situation was is irrelevant. I'm just saying it could very well have been an example of reverse psychology

@1730550

And I can disagree with reasonable certainty. It doesn't mean anything. Unless adorea gets on and corrects one of us (Probably you so they end up being right) younger allowed to think it's not reverse psychology and I'm allowed to believe you're probably wrong

@Adorea Reverse psychology, man. My parents tell me not to talk back, and I do just that with my voice raised a little...

No shit you're allowed to BELIEVE that. That doesn't mean you disagree with reasonable certainty.