-64

Atheists: you think god is something kids should eventually grow out of believing in, like Santa amirite?

saxybandgeeks avatar
1 25
The voters have decided that saxybandgeek is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I don't like to play down other people's intelligence. This post makes it seem like athiesm is the "right" choice.

For me, it wasn't a choice. I grew up in a religious family. We went to church every Sunday. I eventually realized I was missing something everyone else had - faith.

It's just a matter of who you are and what you believe in. I'm not even religious, but this is sort of offensive. You don't need to be a child to be religious.

I thought more atheists were open minded than that. I'm personally an atheist and I could care less what other people believe in.

names avatar name No Way +12Reply
@name I thought more atheists were open minded than that. I'm personally an atheist and I could care less what other...

Some people find the idea of no God illogical too. Just because something doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean someone with an opposing view has a childish view. I'm offended by this post and I don't even believe in God. It's just difficult for me to understand how some people can think this of other people's beliefs.

Santa's a definite fabrication and children's tale, though. There's no proof for or against a higher power

Javvies avatar Javvie No Way +1Reply

I don't particularly care what others believe. I just find the idea of a god illogical

saxybandgeeks avatar saxybandgeek Yeah You Are 0Reply

I strongly disagree with this and I'm not sure what the logic behind it is.

Eh...I don't really know how to vote. Because while I do think that there is a mountain of obvious evidence against God/religion, I can certainly see why someone would choose to ignore that and be a believer. It must be a very comforting thought. That, and an entire belief system about the origin of the universe isn't something you just grow out of.

@AtheisticMystic Eh...I don't really know how to vote. Because while I do think that there is a mountain of obvious evidence against...

It's not really so much evidence against God so much as lack of evidence, which is where faith starts to come in.

How is there a "mountain of obvious evidence against God"? The whole concept of God is that it is an all-powerful being that requires faith. There's not any evidence that God exists, but I don't think you can prove or disprove the existence of God conclusively.

Although wonder poorly, that statement is accurate. Although there is no evidence against god, there is evidence for the existence of an universe that could have arisen and continues to exist even without interference from a higher entity such as the god described in the abrahimic religions. There may very well be a god/gods/god like entities buy they are not necessary for the current scientific model of the world to be congruent and pasimoneous.

lanas avatar lana Yeah You Are +3Reply

"Mountain of obvious evidence against" makes no sense. There isn't a single shred of evidence against. Unfortunately for believers, there is also none FOR God/religion. Arguing about or considering either options as fact is a fallacy.

Additionally, in the scientific method, there can never be evidence against anything. One cannot prove a negative.

lanas avatar lana Yeah You Are +2Reply
@1734420

From this post and your comments on it, you just look really condescending.

@1734420

Really? I dont have a problem with that at all

saxybandgeeks avatar saxybandgeek Yeah You Are -2Reply

Atheists vs Religious

Round 1

FIGHT!

I don't personally believe in God, but I think religion serves a purpose. Yes it causes a lot of problems, just like a lot of things in life, but it also helps people. There are a lot of people who have improved their lives, and others lives, due to religion. They're using it the way it should be used. It's the people who take that belief, and turn it into a shield for their persecution and hatred that need to grow up and move on.

I think that as a kid you aren't able to think as critically as you are when you're older so that is why many people become atheist once they are no longer a kid. Because as a kid, you will generally just accept what you are told. But as an atheist, I don't think that every kid needs to grow out of religion, they can believe whatever they want. But if they are to become atheist, the most likely time is when they can first begin to think critically, so as a teenager.

AllSmiiilesss avatar AllSmiiiless Yeah You Are +1Reply

My mom did stop believing in God at the time she heard Santa wasn't real...

I say they should be allowed to believe what they want for as long as they want. (And I am also an atheist)

Mays avatar May No Way 0Reply

Way to steal a very unoriginal, overused joke.