+260

It's confusing at first when names aren't really pronounced how they're spelled, like Sean, Leonard or Juan... amirite?

tenleyks avatar Language
1 30
The voters have decided that tenleyk is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Juan is pronounced how it's spelled. It's a Spanish name so it follows Spanish phonetics.

seen, leo-nard, and jawaun.

@Andy seen, leo-nard, and jawaun.

Really? I'd say they were Shawn, Len-nard and Huan.

I used to think "Erica" was pronounced like "eh-REEK-uh." I still think that that sounds like it could be a name.

My last name is 6 letters long and only has one vowel. I couldn't even begin to pronounce it phonetically. Damn you Slavic heritage.

@Thumper My last name is 6 letters long and only has one vowel. I couldn't even begin to pronounce it phonetically. Damn you...

SAME HERE DEAR GOD

except i'm pretty sure I've a welsh last name. and 11 letters. still a lack of vowels though and even I'm not sure how to pronounce it.

tyreeshajoness avatar tyreeshajones Yeah You Are +2Reply

people have the opposite problem with my first name, four vowels & one consonant. It's always interesting hearing people's attempts at pronouncing it.

Louis from One Direction.

@MacaroniSalad Louis from One Direction.

My friend who is a "Directioner" was wearing an "I love Louis" bracelet today, and I said "oh, is Louis your favorite?" without thinking that Louis is pronounced Louie, and she actually got pretty offended.

Inb4 cool story bro, tell it again.

goodtimes avatar goodtime Yeah You Are +3Reply

Yeah, I've seen people get offended. I do love One Direction but it's not like other people should automatically KNOW how to pronounce their names. I'm annoyed that I'm downvoted, my comment was relevant.

My name is Leonard. Even i'm not sure whether it is suppost to be lee-oh-nard or le-nard. I goes either way I guess

My name is relatively easy to pronounce as long as you know the c is pretty much an s.

Oh, and Persephone! I thought that was pronounced like Purse- a - fone.

cookiedoughs avatar cookiedough Yeah You Are +3Reply

I used to think Niall was pronounced Neil.
and Erin was "eeee-rin"
and Rhys was pronounced "rice"

Apparently Aaliyah's quite popular in America but I don't know anyone with that name as I'm English and it's not so well-known here. I thought it was pronounced A-liar for ages, but apparently it's A-lee-uh.