+287

From a practical standpoint, fear is used to keep you safe and alive. So it's interesting why most people are afraid of public speaking, amirite?

tenleyks avatar Life
8 4
The voters have decided that tenleyk is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Public speaking draws attention to yourself which, in survival terms, can put a target on you.

@Deathkitten Public speaking draws attention to yourself which, in survival terms, can put a target on you.

It's not that every crowd is full of assassins, it's that if you were a small mammal and made a ton of noise in a forest full of predators, you're pretty well fucked.

You mean you DON'T make a habit of speaking in front of a crowd full of assassins? Gee, that sounds like a dull life...

Everything doesn't necessarily have to boil down to an insinctive stand point. A fear of embarrassment would petrify me in front of a large group of people, and it is not linked to any survival instinct, it only indicates that I have certain expectations for myself.