+181

I don't understand the opposition to the soda ban in NYC. Portion sizes have steadily increased in America for decades. Obesity and obesity related diseases have skyrocketed here in relation to that fact. But when someone steps in and attempts to remedy this that's an example of the government going too far? Come the fuck on Americans. Reducing portion sizes isn't the problem here. The fact that they ever even reached those sizes is the real atrocity, amirite?

Cuban_Bs avatar
1 60
The voters have decided that Cuban_B is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1726711

It's not the actual fact of a ban on those sodas. It's just the idea of having a limited freedom and heightened government control over our lives. Today, it's soda...what will the next day be? Where does it end? That's why people are against it.

@1726595

I don't blame you, I would think that's a sentiment largely shared. One time when I was a waitress, a family from Germany came in to the restaurant I worked at and they were astounded at the plate sizes. It's not just drinks here, it's everything. It really is ridiculous.

Cuban_Bs avatar Cuban_B Yeah You Are +8Reply
@1726595

You can't drink more than 16 oz? A medium McDonald's cup is already 32.

INB4 "we should be able to make our own choices." True, we should. But I think we are at a huge disadvantage when a lifetime of gargantuan portions have severely altered our perception if what acceptable servings even are.

Cuban_Bs avatar Cuban_B Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Cuban_B INB4 "we should be able to make our own choices." True, we should. But I think we are at a huge disadvantage when a...

Also, I realize soft drinks are just one small aspect of this problem. But I think it's possible that this could start a chain reaction. Possible, though admittedly, maybe not probable.

Yeah it's kind of a win-win. People who are on the go but compulsively buy huge drinks won't be able to get their hands on as much at a time as easily, and people with more self control that are more fit and active can just order more than one and get refills.

GiggityGoo22s avatar GiggityGoo22 Yeah You Are +4Reply

Instead of banning it, just make it more expensive. Then idiots who still want to drink this crap can, but america will make a profit. Simple.

The opposition is that the government is making choices for us. This is America, the land of freedom. IF I want a bigass soda, I'll buy one!

I feel like the same things are just being repeated in different ways, so allow me to address them once again.

This isn't about the government banning unhealthy food. Hell, really this isn't about the government limiting unhealthy food. If you want to drink 64oz of soda, go to the store and buy 64oz of soda. Indulge.

This is about a return to sensible serving sizes. That's it. Nobody's freedoms are being restricted, and frankly I think that argument is a bit laughable.

As far as this being about personal choice, yeah it is. But the thing is you were all children once and you grew up in a world where these portions were normalized and gluttony exalted. And it's likely that you all will have kids and the cycle will continue. It's not just practical adults suffering, it's children. Record numbers of kids are having to deal with the repercussions of distorted food sizing and just overall unhealthy foods. Little kids should not be contracting diabetes at these rates! I realize that this is not the sole cause, but you cannot deny it's a very strong contributing factor.

Cuban_Bs avatar Cuban_B Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Cuban_B I feel like the same things are just being repeated in different ways, so allow me to address them once...

I don't find the argument laughable at all, actually. If anything, I would find it concerning that anyone thinks of it that way.

This argument is about the government banning unhealthy food, because that's just what they are proposing: a BAN on large drinks. Exactly. I want the freedom to choose to drink a 64 oz soda. Just as you already have the freedom to choose a smaller size. If you go to the theater, no one is making you choose the gigantic popcorn and the gigantic drink.

This is also not an argument concerning the welfare of children (won't somebody PLEASE think of the children!). Parents who let their kids drink a ton of soda may also be the same ones who let them have cheetos and chocolate bars for breakfast, and then come home from school to play wii while eating a Bic Mac and chips. You can't ban all those things. The root issue is the parent. Not the large sodas, or the chips, or the candy.

@amiwhite I don't find the argument laughable at all, actually. If anything, I would find it concerning that anyone thinks of...

How many times do I really need to repeat myself? NO FOOD/DRINK IS BEING BANNED. The size is changing AS IT DAMN WELL SHOULD. This needs to happen, our sizes are fucking ridiculous. With over 30% of Americans being obese, I really can't take anybody defending keeping our portions just as they are seriously. It's not just junk food, either. When larger portions were normalized in restaurants, that transferred over to larger portions at home. If I remember correctly, the average dinner plate back back in the 80s was like two inches smaller than it is today. It doesn't matter if kids (or people) aren't just eating junk food, their eating more. Just all around more. And again, I know it's not the only cause but fuck man, America is the fattest country for a reason.

Look, we obviously aren't going to agree on this. I know people are viewing this as a slippery slope leading to less "freedom" but I just don't see it that way. I think it's fantastic and about damn time. So we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Yes, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, because how many time do I have to say that I don't give a DAMN how unhealthy it is, it's for PEOPLE to regulate and not the GOVERNMENT. PERIOD.

Fuck that. The government shouldn't tell me how much I can and can't drink. That's not their job. If I want to drink a fucking 200 oz soda, I'm not hurting anyone. I don't care if you think it's disgusting or unhealthy, because that's not the point. Lots of things are unhealthy. Lots of things are (in my opinion) disgusting. But you can't tell Americans what to do.

I want to say bring on the downvotes because lots of people have gotten voted down, but I don't want people to think I'm trying to use reverse psychology.

Maybe if thye made smaller portions cheaper than large ones, gram for gram, but keep it so that you can't order 2 small ones and make a large.

I live in NYC, and maybe I haven't been paying attention, but there has been no uproar over this here. it seems like the real angry people are the ones who will not be affected. Here in the city, I think many of us really support things that are healthy. Our anti smoking and anti obesity ads are insane (sometimes graphic) and they are seen constantly on TV and on the subway. I trunk most people were okay with the bamning of trans fat in our restaurants, and I feel that many of us are liberal and don't call every government I interference socialism. I don't have a problem with the ban, just like I was happy when they outlawed smoking in many public areas.

@I live in NYC, and maybe I haven't been paying attention, but there has been no uproar over this here. it seems...

People smoking in your vicinity harms YOU, without it being your choice. Me drinking a big gulp won't.

Still slightly different. If trans fats are unhealthy, no one is going to say, "well, it's my choice whether or not I want to order a trans fatty meal." Also, if trans fat was present in restaurant food, the restaurant in question is not going to offer a menu of the burger with the trans fat, and the burger without. You'd have to eat the burger with the trans fat. By restricting the use of trans fats, you are gaining a health benefit and not really losing much freedom of choice, unless you'd prefer a heart attack.

Now if you go to a restaurant and order a drink with your food, you have the ability to order a water, snapple, soda, diet soda, etc. You can order a small, medium, or large too. So these are not items that are being forced on you with your meal, and you can choose whichever one you want.

Good health practices are learned from the people around you or through an interest of your own, not by the government making your decisions for you.

I guess that is just where we disagree then. :) For one thing, I don't necessarily think that a majority vote = the right vote. For another, maybe people won't care about something like this specifically, but it sets another precedent. I'm not all 'government conspiracy they're all out to get you, ahhh!', but who's to say that next they won't ban something else that would affect you more, or that would cross a more serious line of freedom or freedom of choice? In my view, I would rather stop any infringement of choice, even a small one, to A) protect that choice, and B) stop the idea from snowballing.

I don't associate myself with any political party, but I value my freedom to make my own decisions regarding my health. And yes, of course, we are free to see things differently here.

It's funny too, because I have always been a big soda drinker. Big in that I drink a lot, not that I am overweight, haha. But I recently have almost eliminiated it from what I drink, because I am trying to eat a healthier diet. Even so, I still absolutely oppose the idea of the ban.

I get what you're saying about smoking, but we also banned trans fat in restaurants. It's your choice to eat trans fat, but no one here was really upset about that. People don't get how liberal and progressive we are here.

That's an understandable viewpoint, but I take it you're closer to the libertarian part of the spectrum while I'm closer to the authoritative one. There's nothing wrong with that.

I completely understand that, and it makes sense. I guess some people would find it easier and helpful to let the government make decisions like that for them, and if the majority of NYC is okay with that, I don't see the problem.

I kind of want some soda now.

While I think no one should be drinking the sodas, and the size of them ARE atrocious, the fact of the matter is, the government shouldn't be allowed to make that decision for us. They aren't letting us make healthy choices, they're making the choice for us. Obesity is a life-threatening condition, but it hurts the people who indulge in the habit, not those around us. It's not like smoking, where everyone around them suffers; only the one who is gorging themselves is risking their life. Therefor, the government, so long as the habit doesn't endanger others, should let it be. America is losing the only thing that's set us apart: freedom. Eh, my rant's done.

I think that every now and then there should be some form of regulation. As pointed out before the regulation of soda sizes is only limited to restaurants. The thing is children grow up thinking these portions are normal, which is sad. True, it is up to the parents to help teach them otherwise. But let's be realistic... How many parents actually teach this? Although I agree with the people that are saying "it's my choice," i also feel it important to point out that there's a reason America is the most obese country in the world. While I realize the subject of obesity isn't contained to the idea of having large portions of soda, it does however offer insight to what some Americans may think is normal or acceptable on a daily basis. Some of us have self control and some don't, these laws apply to those people who choose to lead unhealthy lifestyles. Which is fine if that's what they want but we have to remember that when someone reaches a certain age or qualify they receive assistance in the form of government funded programs such as Medicare or Medicaid. Which in turn pays for some of the "unhealthy" decisions most Americans made.

GargleMyNargless avatar GargleMyNargles Yeah You Are +1Reply
@GargleMyNargles I think that every now and then there should be some form of regulation. As pointed out before the regulation of...

Orrr maybe I shouldn't have chugged that 64oz soda before I made that long rant. My sincerest apologies

GargleMyNargless avatar GargleMyNargles Yeah You Are +2Reply

I 100% oppose this ban. It's not the governments job to stop this at all. Just think, if the government has the power to do this, what's next? Limiting the portions of fatty foods? Reducing the size of alcoholic beverages you're allowed to serve? Any of these measures are completely unnecessary. If you're worried about taking in too many calories then stop eating so much.

Well the things, it's not that hard to buy 2 smaller sodas... Literally nothing is gained.

@Emperorerror Well the things, it's not that hard to buy 2 smaller sodas... Literally nothing is gained.

To your first point, yes that's true. But I disagree with the second. Little kids will grow up understanding what proper portions are. I think that's a gain.

Cuban_Bs avatar Cuban_B Yeah You Are +1Reply

True, I didn't think of that. That's a strong point, and I'm sure most people haven't thought of it.

I agree with what you'r saying, but I also sort of think that it shouldn't have to be the government's responsibility to protect people from themselves, if you know hat I mean.

Cpt_McMuffins avatar Cpt_McMuffin Yeah You Are 0Reply

Let me ask, your profile says you're pro-choice. Why?

@WinniethePooh Let me ask, your profile says you're pro-choice. Why?

Because women shouldn't be forced to pop out babies, though that's a very simplified answer.

I'm going to assume you're trying to draw some sort of comparison involving personal freedom/choice?

You catch on

So if someone has the right to do what they want with their body, disregarding whether or not it destroys a life, then why is it okay to restrict someone's freedom to put simple food into their bodies?

@WinniethePooh You catch on So if someone has the right to do what they want with their body, disregarding whether or not it...

NOBODY'S freedom is being restricted. If it was a ban on soda (or any other food) period, then you would have a point. But I just don't see how a return to sensible sizes is anywhere in the same ballpark. People can still put any quantity of whatever food/drink that they choose into their bodies.

But that's not the law. The law forbids anyone from having more than 16oz of soda on their person. Now if I can't have the freedom to put however much crap I want into MY body, when it doesn't affect anyone else, then why is abortion okay when it's not just your body thats hurt and it does affect other people

@WinniethePooh But that's not the law. The law forbids anyone from having more than 16oz of soda on their person. Now if I can't...

That hasn't been my understanding of the law. From what I've read/seen it only prohibits larger than 16oz to be sold at restaurants, ballgames, movie theaters, etc. But a person could easily get a refill or order two. If you have a link confirming what you said I'd be more than interested to read it though.

Also, I'm not sure if you skipped over the comments or not, but here's my summarized view. A person can put whatever they want into their bodies, I completely agree. And (from what I understand) in relation to soda this law allows that. But American serving sizes affecteveryone. It's not just about being obese, it's about being unhealthy. That last statement was really aimed at children and the fact that more and more are being diagnosed with diabetes and other such diseases. I reiterate, when these serving sizes were normalized, truly everyone was affected.

Finally, respectfully, I'm not going to argue abortion with you. (To me) a fetus is not even close to being a human. I'm not going to say that in applicable situations she shouldn't discuss it with her partner, but primarily the decision is hers. So the two aren't really comparable.

Cuban_Bs avatar Cuban_B Yeah You Are +2Reply

NO. Dear government, don't tell me what to do. kthxbai, A Free Citizen.

P.S. If you want restrictions, I hear China is beautiful. Or Iran.

@amiwhite NO. Dear government, don't tell me what to do. kthxbai, A Free Citizen. P.S. If you want restrictions, I hear...

Why wouldn't you care about the government steadily increasing the serving sizes? Why is only the reversal of this seen as a problem?

Cuban_Bs avatar Cuban_B Yeah You Are +9Reply

I was referring specifically to the ban on soda. I don't need anyone telling me what I can or can not drink. It's my choice. And as far as what peoples' perceptions are of an acceptable portion size, well, that's not my problem either. It is up to each individual to realize that they're being unhealthy, to research what they should or should not be eating, and then to act on it. I don't need Big Brother holding my hand and enforcing something for my own good. Where does that line begin and end? No thanks. I will decide things for myself.

@amiwhite I was referring specifically to the ban on soda. I don't need anyone telling me what I can or can not drink. It's...

As I addressed in my first comment, our perceptions have been so skewed that that's not a very realistic attitude.

I just addressed your first comment. It's up to people to decide what a normal portion is. NOT my goverment. Our perceptions are skewed on a variety of subjects, and I don't need the government enforcing any type of rules for any of them to help educate me. If you are concerned about it, start an awareness campaign. You seem to be aware that portion sizes are too large, so evidently, it's possible to figure it out without Uncle Sam's help.

@amiwhite I just addressed your first comment. It's up to people to decide what a normal portion is. NOT my goverment. Our...

:/ I really don't understand that attitude on this subject. The fact that anyone can defend the serving sizes in America baffles me. Don't get me wrong, I understand the issue of government control. I just think the increases were a result of that very thing, one which people seem to readily accept. I don't get why people are vilifying this. If other first world nations can deal without having 64oz of soda being normalized, goddamn it, so can we. I think that's a positive.

I'm not defending serving sizes though, and never mentioned my support of that either. I'm against the government banning foods because they are unhealthy. This isn't like anyone is ingesting uranium, or foie gras, which people could then bring up treatment of animals. If companies want to produce smaller bottles of soda or smaller portions, no one is telling them that they can't.

This comment was deleted.
@1726910

But the food industry is regulated by the government. And if the size increases really are supply and demand, why is it so difficult to believe that more people are demanding smaller sizes? In recent years more and more people are becoming health conscious, as well they should be.

Obviously more people aren't demanding smaller sizs. If the serving portions were already on the decline, then this wouldn't be an issue and the government wouldn't have been forcd to step in and intervene.

FUCK THE FREE MARKET!

I would fully support it if the fast food restaurants put the ban, but MY ONLY opposition to it is that the government shouldn't be able to control what the people of America sell. This is capitalism, not socialism.

@pb55020 FUCK THE FREE MARKET! I would fully support it if the fast food restaurants put the ban, but MY ONLY...

Actually, america is known as a mixed market where thepeople run the market, and the government makes sure the stuff we eat and drink isn't packed full of garbage or dangerous stuff. We're not a purely capitalistic society.

Demonturkys avatar Demonturky Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Demonturky Actually, america is known as a mixed market where thepeople run the market, and the government makes sure the...

I know we aren't, but the government shouldnt control how much of a product a company sells

@1726753

What are you trying to prove? That people who drink soda are fat? ooh good job, you beat the stereotype. you must feel proud of yourself.

Your argument has so many flaws.

@TalkingRice What are you trying to prove? That people who drink soda are fat? ooh good job, you beat the stereotype. you must...

No, I said that people who drink soda are NOT necessarily fat. From what I understand, this soda thing is trying to control obesity. My point is, soda doesn't cause obesity. Too much food causes obesity.

Eustaces avatar Eustace Yeah You Are -4Reply
@Eustace No, I said that people who drink soda are NOT necessarily fat. From what I understand, this soda thing is trying to...

Obesity AND obesity related diseases. Just because a certain disease is related to obesity that doesn't mean that those are the only people at risk. You can be thin and athletic and still be at a high risk for heart disease and the like. It takes both diet and exercise to be healthy. Just sayin.

This comment was deleted.
@1726626

Yeah, because that's totally what this is about! Being skinny! Fuck all those people who are sick and dying of obesity related illnesses! ono smilie

Nobody has limited anything. They're simply trying to redefine what sensible portions actually are. How the fuck is that a bad thing?

Cuban_Bs avatar Cuban_B Yeah You Are +16Reply
This comment was deleted.
@1726670

This is about the problems that arise from obesity. I would argue that the gradual increase in serving sizes is the real problem to be combated here. Why is the increase of sizing not seen as government control, but instead the decrease to proper proportions?

@1726626

You know, the one type of comment I hate more than any other is "I hope you never become a politician", "thank god you have no political influence", "I'm sure you would get the uneducated vote." Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean you have any right to act so rude.