+529

I hate it when people say "private joke". It's better to say "inside joke" because that just sounds like "you had to be there". But private joke sounds like THIS JOKE ISN'T FOR YOU FUCK OFF, amirite?

Language
41 11

No matter what, it is always going to be awkward when someone brings up a joke or a saying that does not apply to you.

Well, it ISN'T otherwise it wouldn't be a private or inside joke, would it?

@O____o Well, it ISN'T otherwise it wouldn't be a private or inside joke, would it?

I'm saying the different phrase has different connotations.
"Private joke" sounds like being a douche and shutting people out on purpose.
"Inside joke" sounds like just making a note that most people won't get it.

So 'you had to be there sorry' is the same as 'screw you you can't be a part of this.' Mhm

OnePiecepkmns avatar OnePiecepkmn Yeah You Are +7Reply

Yes

To me 'private joke' sounds like, well something private and you shouldn't be a nosey ass and keep bugging about it

Don't see the difference
both imply it's something you probably won't get and
most likely won't be let in on

does it matter?

I understand...
Inside joke means a joke or phrase between a group of friends while
Private joke means (in some cases) a joke that nobody should know about.
That made me sound smart.^^

Takkos avatar Takko Yeah You Are -1Reply

I hate the phrase "inside joke". Because if it is said to a large group of people only like 2 will get it and the rest are like "What is wrong with you?" I also hate it when they don't tell me the joke.

@Skr3wBall I hate the phrase "inside joke". Because if it is said to a large group of people only like 2 will get it and the...

I'm in a play right now. In one part we were in two groups and in the group I was in someone mis-spoke and it was really funny (in a way it would be funny after, not just in the moment funny)
Some people were trying to make it like a big secret, and I was like "Guys, get over yourselves. We can't have secrets in the cast" and then I explained the joke to everyone who wasn't there.
I feel like it's a pretty douchey thing to do. I mean, no one really cares, knowing doesn't make you any better than anyone. Even if it won't be funny you can still learn what it is.