+267

It's weird to think that the world could have been created 5 minutes ago and all your memories are all fictitious and you would never know, amirite?

flynSpaghettiMonsters avatar
18 11
The voters have decided that flynSpaghettiMonster is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Motherfucker, this shit just got real.

Statefarms avatar Statefarm Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Statefarm Motherfucker, this shit just got real.

Try explaining the idea to people. That's when shit REALLY gets real. I told a some of people about this a couple of years ago because I thought it was interesting (albeit not exactly plausible), and I got a lot of strange reactions. Some people were like "Yeah, wow! That makes so much sense", others just nodded and chuckled like they were simply humouring me, but some people freaked the fuck out. Like, they got really angry at me for no apparent reason. It was as if I was telling them their entire lives were just a series of lies, even though I let them know that what I was telling them was nothing more than a hypothetical situation.

oh gawd this reminds me of 1984

Yes it is weird to think that. That is totally ridiculous and unrealistic.

names avatar name No Way 0Reply
@name Yes it is weird to think that. That is totally ridiculous and unrealistic.

so what are you trying to say? To an extent nothing is falsifieable, but it is interesting to think about. I am not suggesting it actually occured, that would be immensly improbable, I am saying that it could have.

it's completely unfalsifieble as well. You have no way of proving your past existed. This is where Occam's razor becomes useful though.

I don't believe it. Occam's Razor shows that it is extremly improbable, it is an interesting thought though.

It's completely unfalsifiable that China exists. This could all be in my mind. That logic is flawed.

names avatar name No Way 0Reply

what..? What logic is flawed? China is falsifiable. You can go there and see if it exists or not (only to a degree of certainty though). Something is unfalsifiable when it is impossible to prove that it doesn't exist.

Who's to say it didn't magically appear as you were on your plane there? Sure, it exists when you are there, but what about when you are not?

names avatar name No Way 0Reply

I am saying that it is a surreal thought that has no connection in anything we know to be true, therefore it is unreasonable to think that.

names avatar name No Way 0Reply
Anonymous