+621

Life isn't actually short in terms of amount of time alive. It's just that we're expected to figure out in the first 20% how to spend the rest 80%. The only time we actually get to enjoy life purely for the enjoyment of life is during those 5-6 years before starting school. We're rushed through everything so much that the amount of time we spend actually "living" life is incredibly short, amirite?

Brettward95s avatar Philosophy
61 64
The voters have decided that Brettward95 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

This reminds me of the John Green quote from Paper Towns:
“Did you know that for pretty much the entire history of the human species, the average life span was less than thirty years? You could count on ten years or so of real adulthood, right? There was no planning for retirement, There was no planning for a career. There was no planning. No time for plannning. No time for a future. But then the life spans started getting longer, and people started having more and more future. And now life has become the future. Every moment of your life is lived for the future--you go to high school so you can go to college so you can get a good job so you can get a nice house so you can afford to send your kids to college so they can get a good job so they can get a nice house so they can afford to send their kids to college."

I started school when I was four. Thanks for making me feel UNFULFILLED.
There's also summer, like AppAwesome said, but that's also a pretty small percentage of your life when you're looking at the whole picture.

@Statefarm I started school when I was four. Thanks for making me feel UNFULFILLED. There's also summer, like AppAwesome said...

I know an asain guy who's first sight coming out of the vagina was a math equation written on a black board

I never went to pre-school. ): You make it sound like such an accomplishment that I feel UNFULFILLED.

Mine was too. In fact I honestly don't know what I would do if I didn't go. All the neighborhood kids were older than me by several years and I was an only child. Idk who I would have been friends with as a pipsqueak.

StacytheHarlots avatar StacytheHarlot Yeah You Are 0Reply

I agree that we don't spend a whole lot of time just enjoying life, but I think there are other times than just the six years before school.

Blake11royss avatar Blake11roys Yeah You Are +32Reply

Before school starts you're too young to do alot of fun thing. Then you're in school until you get a job which you will have until you're to old to do anything that fun. Oh and then you die.

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are +26Reply
@Wunderscore Before school starts you're too young to do alot of fun thing. Then you're in school until you get a job which you...

I remember little parts like playing around in the woods and shit. But little kids make fun for themselves most of the time.

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are +18Reply

The thing about not being able to have fun before school was included when I originally thought of this. I just took it out for the post.

Brettward95s avatar Brettward95 Yeah You Are +5Reply

What about the summers of school?

@AppAwesome What about the summers of school?

I don't know about anyone else, but all of my summers so far included some kind of extended summer school that would basically last until "official" school will start (not counting the ones I was too young to remember)

Big_Bosss avatar Big_Boss Yeah You Are -2Reply

I don't get why they said only the first six years. There are so many other times where you can enjoy life..

Somewhat of an explanation down at the bottom.

Brettward95s avatar Brettward95 Yeah You Are -2Reply

Life is approximately 954 months long.
318 months sleeping gives you 636 months left to live.
43 months of education gives you 593 months left to live.
128 months working gives you 465 months left to live.
13 months and 1 week on the toilet gives you 451 months 3 weeks left to live.
6 years eating gives you 379 months 3 weeks left to live.
5 years waiting in traffic gives you 319 months 2 weeks 4 days and 12 hours left to live.
4 years of housework gives you 259 months 4 days and 12 hours left to live.
That's 27% of your total. The clock is ticking, my friends.
Source: http://www.thefactsite.com/2010...ing-stuff.html

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are +17Reply

5-6? I went to school right when I turned 4..

@5-6? I went to school right when I turned 4..

Haha it's all good, I was just saying

What about your 10-20 year retirement?

It to be a cornball, but depending on how you choose to live, this could be false. If you choose a job that you feel passionate about, or if you live your life the way you want to, even while still preparing for the future, you're still living. What constitutes actually "living" life? If the time was spent happily, then it is not wasted.

@eastcoast It to be a cornball, but depending on how you choose to live, this could be false. If you choose a job that you...

I mean like living just for the sake of enjoying life. Not worrying about bills, kids, grades, relationships, and so on. No matter how much fun you're having there's always the underlying worry about something else. Something you need to do or the huge consequences some actions could have. You could potentially ruin your whole future with a few bad decisions. And for someone with anxiety issues (me) that gets a lot worse. So this was made when I felt under a lot of pressure.

Brettward95s avatar Brettward95 Yeah You Are +9Reply

Life isn't short, it's the longest thing you will ever experience.

dan94s avatar dan94 No Way +7Reply
@dan94 Life isn't short, it's the longest thing you will ever experience.

No I got what you're saying, I just wanted to say it.

Oh and I don't think there is nothing wrong with planning your life. It doesn't mean you are not having fun, and it's pretty vital.

dan94s avatar dan94 No Way +4Reply

Good post. I can see this being potd

Graverottis avatar Graverotti Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Graverotti Good post. I can see this being potd

God I still see Johnny's face...

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are +18Reply

Thank you! And that would be nice.

Brettward95s avatar Brettward95 Yeah You Are +4Reply

We need the Johnny emoticons. Instead of getting "Jolly" or "Cry" as happy faces, you get the ones he made.

http://ctrlv.in/102099

Start working on your jolly face, I think with practice you can beat Jeff the Killer

I can imagine the Johnny jolly face with darkened surroundings, lightened eyes and "GO TO SLEEP" under it...

I think I speak for EVERYBODY when I say that the Amirite community would much rather have clever, witty POTDs rather than this stuff for days in a row.

@I think I speak for EVERYBODY when I say that the Amirite community would much rather have clever, witty POTDs...

If people don't bitch about POTD is then what are they supposed to do with their lives?

Brettward95s avatar Brettward95 Yeah You Are +8Reply

Maybe, but back then Anthony wasn't trying to put these thoughtful POTDs one after another to try to make Amirite seem more profound.

Sorry but you don't speak for everybody. I disagree and am extremely pleased when we have POTDs where I am forced to think, especially during summer break. Having them all in a row doesn't make them worth less or more boring and I don't mind it one bit so maybe you speak for everybody -1 then.

KirstenAnns avatar KirstenAnn Yeah You Are +4Reply

But it's barely even getting conversation going. Back when Amirite was busier, the POTD could be just a witty joke and the comments would be twice the amount than this post's.

Nothing against you or this post, I just don't see why people act like the queen of england will knight you if you get POTD. (Im not saying you did this) im just sick of everyone caring what the POTD is. If you don't like it, vote it down and move on. Wait 24 hours.

I think it's because this post got a lot of votes from the users to become potd. That's usually how they're decided now.

Brettward95s avatar Brettward95 Yeah You Are +2Reply

But these POTD's aren't even thought-provoking--don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but after so many posts like "Gay people are OK, amirite" or "Abortion is OK, amirite" and so on getting POTD in a row it gets old. Not to say this is one of those posts, and sure those posts are worded differently, but still. And I know pretty much nobody's going to agree with this but whatever.

I'm not trying to bitch I'm just throwing in my 2 cents on Anon's opinion up there ^
I personally think this is a good POTD

Back when this place was busier this post would probably be swamped in comments.

Brettward95s avatar Brettward95 Yeah You Are 0Reply

Oh I wasn't talking about you. I just meant in general. And there's not even much on this post.

Anonymous