+133

Summer reading just makes you angry. These three months you're supposed to be away from school, but yet, you still have to do work, amirite?

CloKamalis avatar Education
1 36
The voters have decided that CloKamali is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Since when is reading work? I mean you're doing it right now, this very moment.

@partinobodycular Since when is reading work? I mean you're doing it right now, this very moment.

I enjoy reading, but sadly my type of literature is never a reading assignment.

One book I had to read was so fucking boring I said fuck it and half assed the assignment for it.

At least people do enjoy reading - I can't really argue that assigned reading isn't always the most interesting. I once had to read a book about the number zero. Literally, it was about the importance of zero.

Sometimes (only sometimes) they are interesting though, and people don't take the time to appreciate them 1) because they don't want any work or 2) because they just hate reading and they won't be open to it

What bothers me is every teacher swears up and down that it will be due the first day, and then it isn't.
They also say that we'll be talking about the books through the year
That's happened once.
It also takes FOREVER for them to even grade it! I feel like it doesn't matter at all, but of course I still have to do it just in case.
Them saying "You have the whole summer to do it" doesn't help either.
So far this summer I've been in a play (Four weeks, five days a week, eight hours a day), then I'm going to a friends birthday party (She wanted to go on vacation for three days), and then I'm going to have a week off before volenteering for three weeks. Then next summer I want to get a job.
It sucks.

Actually, I love summer reading.

I have to read three books for English 3 and 1 book for World Geography. My sister doesn't have to do anything because they apparently only give summer reading to AP students.
Luckily, I'm a master of not actually doing work and I found a way to write a journal on The Scarlet Letter while actually reading less than half of the book. Next I have to write a paper on A Farewell to Arms based around a theme. un smilie

Statefarms avatar Statefarm Yeah You Are 0Reply

Last summer I had six books; this time around I only have four. It sucks, sure, but I figure I can only blame myself for taking APs.

@eastcoast Last summer I had six books; this time around I only have four. It sucks, sure, but I figure I can only blame...

Yes. I actually had more summer work for my regular English classes than I did for my AP English class.

That's strange. Well I guess in my case specifically I chose the work, so I can't really complain.

Yeah I can see it being useful there. I think advanced geometry would help when I become a carpenter, ya know, for measurements and shit.

Eh, I used to hate Trig but then it got better in comparison to limits. I reeeeaaally suck at limits...

I'm not taking AP's so I don't have summer reading. I got tired of AP classes and decided what I want to do (welder and/or carpenter) didn't really constitute the need for advanced classes. So what if I can't write a perfect short answer? I can fix your house and build you a nice coffee table.

Haha, the only advanced class my dad ever took was math (don't remember which) because he became a carpenter. He always says he sucked at school except for math

People who aren't taking AP classes still have to do summer reading a lot of the times. How is that their fault?

Yes, in your case, but a lot of basic English classes that everyone has to take still require summer work.

Do they also have to write essays and take a test for each book? The people who I know in regular English only have to read one book, and they have no essays or tests connected to it.

I get that. The only reason I take AP English is because I'm looking into becoming an English major. If I didn't need it, I wouldn't take it either.

@1755888

Please take a number and wait for assistance.

The thing I hate about having to write an essay over summer reading is The fact that we don't get to have class discussions over it. Every idea for an essay I've written came to me through class discussions.

At least it gives you something to do. I get so bored during the summer I literally just sit around eating Cape Cod chips and watching reruns of Saved by the Bell. Summer reading is the the only thing that prevents my brain from going to mush.

I'd find it to be much less annoying if the books teachers assign weren't so shit.

Runys avatar Runy Yeah You Are 0Reply

It's not really the reading I hate, it's the rest of the projects that go along with it.

For the first time since elementary school, I don't have any summer work because I'm taking college classes instead of normal ones.

Is it really that hard to read a book (maybe books depending on where you live) and take a test/do a project on it?

@foolwithdreams_ Is it really that hard to read a book (maybe books depending on where you live) and take a test/do a project on it?

Is it hard? No. But it is annoying that you have to do work while you're supposed to be on vacation. It's also very easy to get distracted when you can be doing a ton of other stuff and you can tell yourself that it isn't due for a while.

Statefarms avatar Statefarm Yeah You Are +23Reply

Last summer we had to read two books for our project. One book, The Secret Life of Bees, scared me to death. I have a phobia of bees, and at some parts the author describes bees. It's hard to read a book when your constantly checking for bees.

Thank god I live in Canada and no summer reading there!

@1755792

I'm pretty sure a lot of people in Africa can read.

@1755792

I'm pretty sure Africa has the highest illiteracy rate of any continent.

@1755792

I think Anon is talking about village people.