+248

It's funny how we complain when a flight is delayed. Back in the day, that distance would take a lifetime to cross, amirite?

islanders avatar Life
3 17
The voters have decided that islander is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Except things aren't like that any more, so we have every right to complain.

So? Just because in the past it took a long time to travel somewhere, we shouldn't have the right to complain about delays today? We have advanced technology, and we have come to expect that things will be done quickly. I suppose you could also say that, "It's funny how we complain about catching the common cold. Back in the day, you were afraid of catching tuberculosis." Yeah, it's better off today, but it's still annoying when some minor problems occur to us.

Harpers avatar Harper No Way +14Reply

True. But back then you also weren't expected to be everywhere in 30 minutes or less. You just show up whenever. Miss those days . . .

shiftys avatar shifty Yeah You Are +13Reply

Years and years, but not a lifetime. (Sorry, I'm just not a big fan of hyperbole.)

@partinobodycular Years and years, but not a lifetime. (Sorry, I'm just not a big fan of hyperbole.)

"Back in the day" Isn't specific. This could easily be nomadic times before ships.

Well, typically once someone hopped on a ship destined for another continent, they never planned on coming back, so in a way it is a lifetime journey

A lifetime is when you're born on the ship and die when you reach shore. I don't think it took anyone who knew the way 40 years to get from one place to another.