+617

It's annoying when people say today's society is fucked up. Sure, it might be a bit, but at least we don't segregate people like only about 50 or 60 years ago or kill women because they might be a witch like only a few hundred years ago. Society has only improved, sitting there talking about how fucked up society today is doesn't make you sound mature, cool, hipster, or anything except that you complain about something but do nothing to improve it, amirite?

Frank_n_Furters avatar Life
58 68
The voters have decided that Frank_n_Furter is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Seriously, thank you. It really annoys me when people hear about something bad happening and respond with "I hate today's society." People sucked, people suck, people always will suck to some degree.

Sarcasm_on_ices avatar Sarcasm_on_ice Yeah You Are +74Reply
@Sarcasm_on_ice Seriously, thank you. It really annoys me when people hear about something bad happening and respond with "I hate...

Exactly. It's not just today's society that sucks, it's actually better than what most people lived through.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +14Reply
@1761065

Wasn't it actually better in ancient Rome?

Am I the only one who was glad to finally see a post not involving vodka?

SuperSukhs avatar SuperSukh Yeah You Are +32Reply

Where I'm from we didn't fully desegregate until 1982.

That aside, prejudice still abounds, in all kind of ways.

@Where I'm from we didn't fully desegregate until 1982. That aside, prejudice still abounds, in all kind of ways.

Of course it does. No one anywhere ever tried to claim it doesn't. But it's not as abundant as it was before.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +35Reply

I disagree. People are still racist, in the same individual scale but not societal scale, still homophobic, there's just not as many people who are those things. People are becoming more open minded than even just about 30 years ago where ever you live.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +34Reply
@Frank_n_Furter You're not looking very hard.

No, I just find it to be a bit naive to think otherwise.

That and I've (along with many others) have seen first hand just how much things haven't really changed. Not really. I will grant you that perhaps certain regions are overall better than others. But just because it's a social faux pas to openly admit to certain things now doesn't mean that they have gone away. It just means people are more careful about expressing certain things /ideas.

I think it's a bit depressing that you think that people are still the same it's just not ok so act the same. It's going to vary from region to region, but unless you live in a tribe that has stuck to it's roots for thousands of years, I don't see how you can say society is the same as it once was.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +17Reply

The US isn't even close to as segregated as it used to be. Maybe some areas are, but definitely not most of them and definitely not enough to say we're more segregated now.

Statefarms avatar Statefarm Yeah You Are +16Reply
LittleReds avatar LittleRed Yeah You Are +10Reply

OP how can you tell 'jess' that she is wrong when she clearly stated that her views were from her area she lives in? She has never told you where that is so it's pretty arrogant to claim that no matter where in this world she lives she's wrong about prejudice today. It's impossible to argue. While I'm commenting I agree with your post but I think socially and in the ways your post talked about society is better than sixty years ago, but (not to sound like a typical 90's kid) I think society hit a bit of a pique in the late 80's and early 90's with the huge steps in feminism and gay rights. The last 10 or so years have been arguably a decline of that societal growth culturally and socially, although Much but not all of which is more western decline than world decline.

"OP how can you tell 'jess' that she is wrong when she clearly stated that her views were from her area she lives in?"

Let's review.

"Where I'm from we didn't fully desegregate until 1982.
That aside, prejudice still abounds, in all kind of ways."

"Of course it does. No one anywhere ever tried to claim it doesn't. But it's not as abundant as it was before."

"I disagree. It just manifests in different ways now."

"I disagree. People are still racist, in the same individual scale but not societal scale, still homophobic, there's just not as many people who are those things. People are becoming more open minded than even just about 30 years ago where ever you live"

The entire point of the post is that society has changed for the better. The commenter said they don't have segregation anymore but there is still racism and homophobia and shit. That's the entire point, society sucked but now it sucks slightly less and the commenter gave evidence of that happening where they live. OP can say they are wrong because they said an aspect of their society changed, a change most people would think that change is for the better, then said that society actually hasn't changed, people stil...

think the same they just don't act the same, which is still change. It's foolish to entertain the idea that maybe where they live is just different from the rest of the world and doesn't progress.

No where did OP state that Jess was wrong about the things that are actually going on where they live, but the commenter said "Where I'm from we didn't fully desegregate until 1982." which is enforcing the point of the post, society has progressed.

I said where they live. If they're Amish, they're breaking the rules right now.

Screw+you, you're a dumbass. If they lived in the Amish world where it didn't progress like the rest of society, no one on here would be talking to them right now.

Because they area told me their area was recently segregated, so I know it's changed there.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are -2Reply

The united states is actually more segregated now than it was I. The sixties due to red lining and Urban Renual and other housing plots that separated the races both physically and economically.

This post is brilliant. It reminds me of comedian Jasper Carrott who talked about this, slamming people who always bang on about how great the 1950s were. Only if you were a white male proabably, and even then not for sure. He said "People always talk about how there was less theft back in the 50s...well...of course there wasn't any theft, because no one had ANYTHING worth stealing back then" (He's British, so this is particularly true in 1950s Britain). Looking at the past through rose-tinted spectacles is not good. The world is actually a lot better in many different ways.

TommyUK1234s avatar TommyUK1234 Yeah You Are +25Reply
@1761124

Exactly anon. The point is it's stupid to say today's society is fucked. Even though it does suck, it always has.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +5Reply
@1761124

I agree, but I also think this post was aimed at people who complain, but don't actually try fpr the better. I have a friend who thinks politicians are messed up, so doesn't want to vote. It's completely illogical. It is these sorts of people that this post is aimed at, I think.

We say we hate society, yet we are society.

Rifkas avatar Rifka Yeah You Are +14Reply
@Rifka We say we hate society, yet we are society.

OH. Haha I thought it was a back-handed slap like "Go tell it to someone who cares." My bad.

Rifkas avatar Rifka Yeah You Are +2Reply

I can't tell if that was an insult or not...

Rifkas avatar Rifka Yeah You Are 0Reply

I don't hate society. There are aspects of it I dislike, but overall, I embrace it. Not saying I'm settling, but it is what it is so you gotta work with what you got and do what you can and accept the rest. There's a lot of things I like about society too.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are 0Reply

What about those of us who actually are trying to improve it?

This is so true! I hate it when people always talk about how horrible today is, when really it's a lot better than things used to be. I'm voting this for potd, I can see it being it.

Graverottis avatar Graverotti Yeah You Are +6Reply

Society has improved in the aspects you mentioned, but there are also parts of society that were better hundreds of years ago.

@iamthewalrus Such as?

Well, in ancient Rome it was more OK to be a homosexual. I don't know why you're asking that question seeing as to how that was a point you made on this very same post.

I don't think that people are making a comparative statement by saying that society is messed up. Sure, society has its faults today for example gay marriage is illegal. That is not saying that having gay marriage illegal is worse than segregation, it is just making an objective statement that today's society is messed up.

Hot damn nigga. That was a deep ass rant motherfucker.

I don't think today's National Defense Authorization Act, Patriot Act, and police brutality are an improvement. Not to mention some states presenting laws to ban the teaching of critical thinking in schools.

@I don't think today's National Defense Authorization Act, Patriot Act, and police brutality are an improvement. Not...

Nobody said that our society doesn't have problems. Hell, we have a lot of problems. But overall, we are progressing.

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are +6Reply

Agreed. And to all of you who think that times now are so much worse than they were before, and are still complaining about how this post is wrong, get off your computer and try and change those problems. I'm not saying go become the president of our country and create world peace, but every little step counts towards progress.

For the record, I am doing stuff, organizing protests and raising awareness of flaws in the system. I disagreed with the post because while there are areas that have improved, many other areas have become drastically worse. I agree with the part about how we need to do something to improve today's society if we think it's fucked up though.

Society has always sucked. I think people just pay attention to the good times from way back when, because those are the only things we hear about, and if not they're the excessively terrible things. Huge prejudices and ridiculous laws and infamous norms. But we don't know what people really acted like nor did we know the lesser known social norms and I think people pay so much attention to social norms above culture, and when they compare our well-known social norms to way back when's social norms which they don't even know about, they think, "Well, it couldn't have been any worse than this!"

Confirmation bias is also a huge asset...

AdonisBatheuss avatar AdonisBatheus Yeah You Are +1Reply

I get what you're saying, bit it comes across as "Damn man we've improved be complacent and stop complaining."

Shugahs avatar Shugah Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Shugah I get what you're saying, bit it comes across as "Damn man we've improved be complacent and stop complaining."

It's more like if you're not going to do anything to improve society then your only other option is to settle for it and it's your fault if you settle so quit complaining unless you're actually trying.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are -1Reply

I rip the stickers off flat brimmed hats, thats how im improving it.

It's unattractive for women to cuss

This reminded me of black boy- Richard wright

When he was hanging with his friends, (lot of racism back then) they would just be there and say "dam, why are the whites so mean" everyday as if it was common talk, yet they allowed for all the abuse to happen and would happily "get the scraps from the white man's table"

@1761283

Look at the places those things are happening. Look at what was happening 100 years ago in that same place. Any civilized society will always be changing.

@1761283

I think you took what OP said WAY out of context. The way I interpret it is that there are those people who panic after the news does a few murder stories. These people then go around saying, "OMG!!! Urrrrbody gettin murda these day! Society iz fuuuuuu'd up!!"

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +8Reply
@1761283

I feel like slavery isn't worse than when we were shipping in black people to sell to plantation owners. Also, money has always been made off of those things.

Statefarms avatar Statefarm Yeah You Are +5Reply
@1761283

Where the hell is the money in witch burnings?

@1761283

*steal. They could steal their possessions. (cry2)

Statefarms avatar Statefarm Yeah You Are +2Reply
@1761283

Oh, I didn't see that one. They could still their possessions or something, I guess. That's what I would do if I had just burned someone. wary smilie

Statefarms avatar Statefarm Yeah You Are +1Reply