+100

It's pretty scary to think that since cramps can be caused by sudden and rapid contraction of muscles, you could theoretically get an eye cramp (specifically in you iris) by looking at a very bright light, amirite?

B10ckH34ds avatar Science
2 4
The voters have decided that B10ckH34d is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I think that's why people go blind during solar eclipses.

mchalla3s avatar mchalla3 Yeah You Are +1Reply

I doubt it can happen. I'm kinda into lasers, and anything over 15mw or so of power is powerful enough to burn your retinas almost instantly. People have had 1w lasers shone in their eyes without getting eye cramps, and for all intents and purposes, you're not going to find a brighter light than a 1w laser.

@Mike_Hawk I doubt it can happen. I'm kinda into lasers, and anything over 15mw or so of power is powerful enough to burn your...

I'm just saying, that the iris has muscles, it would be capable of cramping, which can be every painful, especially if you do that thing where you grab the painful body part.

Also, the ciliary body is a muscle, it would be capable of cramping, so you might also get an eye cramp from looking from a far object to a close object.

I'm not saying it's likely, just that if all muscles can cramp, so can your eyes, with the right stimuli.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are -1Reply

Oh god no