+402

Since only Harry had the power to defeat Voldemort and vice versa, then they conceivably could have just decided to team up and live eternally. That would have been a hell of a plot twist in the final book, amirite?

Books
27 16

"Neither can live while the other survives."

mchalla3s avatar mchalla3 Yeah You Are +11Reply

is that right? that only voldemort had the power to beat harry? couldn't any deatheater have cast the killing curse on him and succeeded? I've never actually read the books and so I'm aware I may be missing a key detail not mentioned in the films.

TommyUK1234s avatar TommyUK1234 Yeah You Are +4Reply
@TommyUK1234 is that right? that only voldemort had the power to beat harry? couldn't any deatheater have cast the killing curse...

Part of Voldemort's soul was in Harry, and only a few things can break a horcrux. Basilisk venom, fiendfyre, or the creator of the horcrux. Dumbledore told Snape it was essential that Voldemort kill Harry so that the horcrux inside Harry would die. If someone else had killed him, Harry himself would probably die and his body would serve as a case for Voldemort's soul.

TommyUK1234s avatar TommyUK1234 Yeah You Are +1Reply

I think I just need to read these books, haha, because I still don't fully understand that point. My main question was, was it actually impossible for harry to be killed by any other person than voldemort at any point in the story?

Not only did Voldemort have the strongest wand ever created, but Harry needed to be killed for Voldemort to die, and vice versa, so either of them could have easily killed an attacker, and then the deceased would come back to life. Harry only killed Voldemort in the end because of a backfired wand.

Zambakus avatar Zambaku Yeah You Are 0Reply

ok, great! thanks. if someone had just said that the first time I asked , we could have avoided the whole hoo-ha! cheers

TommyUK1234s avatar TommyUK1234 Yeah You Are 0Reply

Harry was the only one who could kill Voldemort, but anyone could kill Harry...Voldemort was immortal becasue of the Horcruxes, Harry wasn't.

but voldemortdidn't just want to be immortal, wanted to rule over muggles and have pure bloods. They'd never reach an agreement to live together.

@1769089

They never specificfied WHEN they had to die...

BuddyCakess avatar BuddyCakes Yeah You Are +7Reply
@1769089

Actually, Harry had to die after all the other horcruxes were eliminated and before Voldemort was killed. Not an exact time, but it definitely couldn't be an eternity.

@1769089

But didn't he die and come back to life BEFORE the final horcrux was eliminated? I thought the snake was the last one?

@1769089

Hm, I think you're right.