-47

In time of war, instead of the death penalty, certain criminals should be sent to the front line to fight for their right to live; it would teach a more valuable lesson than they could ever learn in prison, amirite?

Lamb_of_Gods avatar Politics
5 27
The voters have decided that Lamb_of_God is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

What if they killed the people on the same side as them?

@Wunderscore What if they killed the people on the same side as them?

I like how instead of answering their question you just ask how old they are and if they're still in school, kinda like you're implying they're stupid when you're the one who can't answer the question.

What does living in the real world have to do with giving murders weapons and expecting them to just go out and shoot some enemies at war? Please explain this to someone who's already graduated and apparently sees this post differently than a 16 year old.

I mean yeah, war is horrible and certain prisoners (murderers, rapists, etc.) need to be punished more severely; our prison and judicial system is messed up. BUT, it just doesn't seem to make any sense to give them weapons and expect them to fight for country. They'd most likely run away and continue being criminals elsewhere. Congratulations, you've just let a murderer get away so he can harm innocent people of some other country.

Why would you give a known felon a powerful weapon?

I realize that at 16 I'm very ignorant about alot of things. Which is why I ask questions.

Well that works. Sending killers to kill people from other countrys to show that killing is wrong..

Izzie_23s avatar Izzie_23 No Way +14Reply

Then you would need a prisoner that is willing to cooperate. I suppose there may be few who may have remorse for their actions, but then why teach them some a lesson? Then you have the rest who don't care that they took a life and don't care if they do it again. There are a lot of variables to put into play. The idea of punishing a criminal in a way that may actually change them for the better sounds great and I like this one, but it just doesn't seem that practical.

So forcing innocent men to go out and fight on the front lines is better?

It's not like a slap on the wrist for talking back. This is for criminals on death row, who have obviously done something very wrong, being heavily armed and set loose. This would only work if all people were decent and honest and fair; but then I suppose we wouldn't have many people on death row.

I thought the fighting was instead of the death penalty. So the fighting would be the mandatory punnishment. Is that not force?

There have been men put on death row in the past who were later found innocent.

Lamb_of_Gods avatar Lamb_of_God Yeah You Are -4Reply

Well I did say only certain criminals would be sent to the front line in this system. What if I said that they would have to pass a psychological test to qualify for this option? A test that would decide if they were fit to carry the gun?

Lamb_of_Gods avatar Lamb_of_God Yeah You Are -6Reply

Then, just a is customary with ALL soldiers in time if war who commit a war crime, they would be put to death. But all humans deserve that fighting chance.

Lamb_of_Gods avatar Lamb_of_God Yeah You Are -7Reply

I never used the word "force". A man who is innocent would jump on the opportunity to fight for his freedom over being out to death; and an innocent man would have no problems passing the qualification exam.

Lamb_of_Gods avatar Lamb_of_God Yeah You Are -14Reply

Maybe this is just me, but I feel like this seriously undermines what our soldiers do.

Or the criminals can be used as guinea pigs for breakthrough medicines and medical procedures.

Nah. There are people deserving of death and they had their chance to follow the rules and live. To get the death penalty, you must've done something real bad, and that already tells me they don't deserve to live.

They don't deserve a "fighting chance". They deserve to die.

Being in the army takes discipline and a love of your country, and the freedom of the people in it. Why on earth would the army want these people any more than any other employer that is out there? I know a few soldiers that would be pretty offended by this idea, they have one of the most respectful jobs possible, and it's outrageous to disrespect them enough to degrade their job by throwing a load of criminals in with them. The army is only efficient because of the very structured and regulated life that it promotes, these people have proved that they cannot follow orders/rules/laws, and are therefore likely to be a huge liability.

The criminals would not be compensated in this system.

Lamb_of_Gods avatar Lamb_of_God Yeah You Are +2Reply

Well, we could send them to Mars. Instead of having rovers built to explore and get samples, we send the death row criminals to Mars without a spacesuit and helmet. If they get on Mars and die, we know its not safe to live there and life cannot be sustained and we wont have to waste our materials and energy to do the death here on Earth. If they live when they arrive, we could use the rover or something to watch and see if they can find water and food.

My problem with this is, well, did you ever notice just who is on death row most of the time? A disproportionate number of blacks and other minorities will be on the front lines. This fixes nothing, really. No "justice" would be served.