+176

Since almost everyone uses the word ironic in the wrong way, maybe as a society we should make up a new word to use that means the same thing as most people think ironic means now, amirite?

Hahahhas avatar Language
4 19
The voters have decided that Hahahha is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Usually people think a coincidence is irony

@Unicorns Usually people think a coincidence is irony

It definitely is. But although they are close in meaning, calling a tow truck being towed a 'coincidence' doesn't make any sense. I say people just learn the meaning of the words already lol

Oh for sure! How could that be a coincidence?! haha. Obviously the difference is a coincidence is the meeting of two unlikely events or parties in such a way that was pretty unlikely in the first place. It's only real similarity to irony is that the two things contain a great amount of "incongruity".

TommyUK1234s avatar TommyUK1234 Yeah You Are 0Reply

yeah, but irony in that sense is quite close to what a coincidence is. Incongruity between what is expected to be and what actually is, or a situation or result showing such incongruity is also "ironic". I get the impression that many Americans use it to mean simply using words for something other than their literal intention. But there IS more too it than just that.

TommyUK1234s avatar TommyUK1234 Yeah You Are -1Reply

Doesn't it mean 'made up entirely of iron'?

LinksLegionaires avatar LinksLegionaire Yeah You Are +11Reply

A death row pardon two minutes too late is NOT ironic, it is extremely unfortunate.

Cpt_McMuffins avatar Cpt_McMuffin Yeah You Are +6Reply

That's so ironic.

@Wunderscore That's so ironic.

Lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol

" 'The use of words expressing something other than their literal intention.' Now THAT. IS. Irony!"

Essems avatar Essem Yeah You Are +1Reply

Saying that you hate a certain band then someone walking in the room wearing their merch directly after is ironic right? Or is it more on the coincidental side?

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Yeah You Are +1Reply

I usually use "that's so typical", but I guess that isn't clear enough either :)

Myranias avatar Myrania Yeah You Are -1Reply
@Myrania I usually use "that's so typical", but I guess that isn't clear enough either :)

And this wasn't about finding another word for ironic, but finding a word that's used to express what people do mean when they SAY ironic... since it's oftenly misused. I -know- it doesn't mean the same thing, that's the whole point now, isn't it?

Myranias avatar Myrania Yeah You Are +2Reply

Oh, the way you said it sounded like you were using typical as a synonym for ironic.