-46

If you were going to time yourself running for a short distance, you would get a slightly faster time running in an eastern direction because of Earth's rotation, amirite?

Magic_Poptarts avatar Sports
0 2
The voters have decided that Magic_Poptart is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

The finish point moves, too, so this is only true if you're counting location based on cosmic coordinates, and even then you have to factor in the movement o Earth around the sun, and the sun around the galactic core, and the Milky Way away from everything else.

I apologise for what I'm about to do, but I couldn't resist.

Say Earth is stationary. An area of ground at the equator moves about 40000km per day, translating into 1666,6666... kilometres per hour or 463 metres per second. This is mach 1.4, faster than most passenger jets.

Even in you situation, which I assume is that Earth's rotation adds to you own speed, standing still would still be incredibly fast.

I'm sure this is supposed to be a joke...but...nah...