+171

It's stupid when people say they don't give hobos money because they'll just spend it on drugs and alcohol. I'm not saying you should give money to a hobo, I'm saying that's a stupid reason not to. They wouldn't be alive if all they spent it on was drugs and alcohol. They might spend your money on food, water, or a blanket and not even do drugs, amirite?

Frank_n_Furters avatar Life
0 31
The voters have decided that Frank_n_Furter is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

i would rather give them food and water instead of money to buy it

@1776535

I personally think it's better to give money to homeless charities rather than any individual beggar. Giving money to a beggar is a kind of hypocrisy in my mind, since you probably won't give any to the second one your encounter, thinking to yourself "well, i gave the other guy some change, so i've done my good deed for the day".

TommyUK1234s avatar TommyUK1234 Yeah You Are +15Reply
@1776535

No, you shouldn't feel guilty. It is yours.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +11Reply
@1776535

I can't speak for all people, but when I give a hobo money I'm not like "well I've done my good deed for the day" and say no to another hobo cuz I've already given money to one. I just give hobos money cuz I have some on me and they need it more than I do.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +7Reply
@1776535

Part of me also thinks though, that I work damned hard for my money, and I shouldn't feel guilty about not wanting to just hand it over to other people for no good reason.

TommyUK1234s avatar TommyUK1234 Yeah You Are +7Reply
@1776535

hahahahahahaha ok makes sense.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1776535

Makes the phrase "get pissed" suddenly make a lot more sense. In England we say get pissed to mean get drunk, but we never call alcohol "piss", unless we're talking about budweiser or something.

TommyUK1234s avatar TommyUK1234 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1776535

I have a question though, do you ever say "get pissed" about being mad?

@1776535

that's what I just said

@1776535

o.O ew

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are -1Reply
@1776535

What about in future tense, like "I'm about to get pissed" for "I'm about to be mad"?

@1776535

Your comment probably wasn't there when he typing his comment and showed up after he hit submit.

And alright, easy enough.

@1776535

get pissed off. In British English - "get pissed" only means get drunk.

TommyUK1234s avatar TommyUK1234 Yeah You Are -2Reply
@1776535

just remember this, In British English - "get pissed" ONLY means get drunk, NEVER get mad. When you want to say get mad, you can use "get pissed off".

I usually give money to the people I feel have earned it. That might sound terrible, but if I pass by a man playing saxophone and a man sitting with his hands out, I'll give money to the sax player, because he's doing something for it. If you can't get a job you should have plenty of time to learn a new skill.

Of course, when I told my friends this they pointed out that some people might have mental or physical problems that prevent them from being able to do something, and I feel bad for those people, but that doesn't mean I'm obligated to give them money.

I give money to beggers assuming that they will spend it on things that they need, I don't care if it's naive, once I've given them the money it's theirs and they can spend it how they want. Although if I had the time I have just bought food and given it to them.

SpearmintMilks avatar SpearmintMilk Yeah You Are +2Reply

I know people who carry packs of food in their car in case they see a homeless person. I've also seen the food be rejected and them ask for money so they can buy beer and cigarettes. Even though it's their money once you give it to them, you're not helping them if they spend it on drugs or alcohol.

The post does make a good point, however, I would rather buy a homeless man a sandwich or a blanket that which I knew for sure would be beneficial to them, than give them money which could be stolen, misused, misplaced, etc. Also, saves them a trip to a coffee shop or a supermarket.

I mostly see "hobos" on the subway, and when i first started taking it, and I would give, but after a few months, I kept on seeing the same ones, sometimes every day, and if i kept on giving, it would feel like I was paying them a daily wage. The sob stories they told also seemed less and less genuine every time I heard them. I give money to street/ subway performers, too, so it really depends on my mood.

_Jojo_s avatar _Jojo_ Yeah You Are +2Reply

I always give money to hobos, but it always saddens me. How much will my money do for them? Whether they buy a meal or drugs, my money won't make that much of a difference. It wouldn't get them out of poverty. I still do it, though.

kipkayifys avatar kipkayify Yeah You Are 0Reply

If I'm going to give you money, you can use it for whatever you want, no questions asked. Of course I would prefer that they use on something they really need, but I'm not going to worry about it. If it concerned me that much, I just wouldn't give them money to begin with. Besides, even if they do use that money for drugs or alcohol, maybe that means that they'll use any extra money they receive that day on food or something or they need.

It's actually surprising at the number of "hobos" who do it as a job, not as a requirement. No not all, or even most, but more than you'd think. I used to live in Vancouver and there was even news articles about the large number that claim to be homeless but have high rise apartments, very nice cars, and make more money a year than the average person in the city. That, along with the time I bought a hobo a Subway sandwich and he threw it back at me asking for "real money" are the reasons I won't give them a penny. Many are scam artists.

How about you don't give them money when they ask for it and give them a pb&j instead? My Uncle is homeless... if you give him money it's going towards alcohol and if you try to buy him food he won't accept it because he would rather have the money. Sad. I know.