-186

It's hard to understand why the women's rights movement occurred. While women weren't expected to work a day in their life, their husbands had to bring home the bacon, and occasionally a fur coat. While women got to spend plenty of quality time with their children, men hardly saw them. All women had to do was a bit of cooking and cleaning before going out with their girlfriends to laugh about how whipped their men are. They were living the life and they dun goofed, amirite?

DanielJamess avatar Jokes & Humour
5 45
The voters have decided that DanielJames is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

What if some of them didn't get married? How were they suppose to provide for themselves? Also, the ability to vote and actually have a say in political issues, and to be taken seriously by society. While staying at home and cleaning may be considered easier, women weren't treated as equals and their opinions were ignored. I'd take a job and having rights any day over staying at home and cleaning any day.

@What if some of them didn't get married? How were they suppose to provide for themselves? Also, the ability to vote...

exactly. It's not just the work they were assigned; it's the treatment they received. Anyone who's seen any episode of Med Men knows that despite women's legal rights growing and accumulating, they were still treated like shit. Men still saw them as sexual objects and things to be played with (and sometimes beaten). it's a bit like the whole racism thing, in a way. Long looong after slavery was abolished, blacks were still seen as second class citizens. Even now, despite their equal legal rights, we've still got Confederate flag-waving dicks calling black kids niglets and shit like that. I'm willing to bet that most people who disagreed with this post are more concerned that OP didn't address the social issues in his post.

Colette, even now we don't have equal rights. I know this post it talking about the US, but I'm talking about worldwide, women don't have the same rights as men. And in the US, we're paid less than a man is paid, even if we work the same job and same amount of hours he does.

No. The government is pretty much run by men....they follow the constitution, written by men. :/ But yeah, women get paid less.

May be true in some places but that certainly shouldn't be stated in such a general sense.

A fair point, miss, a fair point indeed. Though I can't say I've ever encountered any woman who's been paid less than a man for the same job. Thought that was illegal. :-/

Not being able to vote kinda sucked. You can be a stay at home dad if you prefer a more domestic life but being stuck in a house ironing and scrubbing and sweeping and wiping drool and changing diapers and cooking and feeeding and being pregnant every moment of my waking life would make depressed before a year passed, since I wouldn't be able to do what I want to. I have way too many dreams and none of them includes being in an apron and holding a mop all day long, so I will have to disagree.

Are you trolling?

@boxtop Are you trolling?

But what if a woman didn't want that kind of life, even if it was easier than a man's? What if she wanted to do what a man could do? Obviously enough women did in order to bring about the movement.

@boxtop Are you trolling?

If you think being a housewife back in the day was desierable I think you need to get your facts checked.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +34Reply
@boxtop Are you trolling?

Imagine those silly women fighting to have productive jobs and and access education when they were so happy staying at home being domestic servants!

@boxtop Are you trolling?

@DanielJames The women who lived during the women's rights movement definitely didn't live the life of a 50's housewife.

@boxtop Are you trolling?

lol I'm surprised someone didn't say that sooner. 1950s was 100 years after the women's movement. And technically, the men weren't wipped. The women were.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +20Reply
@boxtop Are you trolling?

They did have to spend a lot more time on housework back then though, as they didn't have all those convenient machines at first... So then it was a full-time job...

@boxtop Are you trolling?

It's ridiculous. Wanting to be independent and able to have a say in what happens in your country and home? What were they thinking? Making meals and cleaning up after an entire family is clearly much more enjoyable.

(And by the way, I think you are the perfect person to comment on this.)

@boxtop Are you trolling?

Exactly. Women basically had no choice but to stay home and cook and clean because, back then, it was still legal to hit your wife.

@boxtop Are you trolling?

How dare they want to not live conventional lives. How sickening.

@boxtop Are you trolling?

Being beaten>being treated equally as long as you get to stay home all day. Duh.

@boxtop Are you trolling?

No. The post is tongue-in-cheek and oversimplifies women's rights/housewife-ism, but the general idea (that the role of traditional 1950s housewife seems fairly desirable) is valid in my book.

DanielJamess avatar DanielJames Yeah You Are +2Reply
@boxtop Are you trolling?

Maybe the staying home and cleaning aspect but I don't think many people would chose the over all lifestyle.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +2Reply

"...women weren't expected to work a day in their life..." LOL
Because maintaining a household is so easy and kids are always such a joy. Man I'd fucking slit my wrist if I were a 50's housewife. Or just take a shitload of Valium all the goddamn time.

Right because the only women who existed before the woman's rights movement were rich fur-coat-wearing housewives who could afford to not work and still feed their children.

I'm sure they loved being seen as inferior.

I would prefer staying at home... I think the voting and being treated as an equal is important, but if I had the choice of working or staying home with my kids and keeping the house clean I would pick staying home. But then, I actually have 2 kids and know how putting them in daycare and missing out on precious minutes with them feels.

Juless avatar Jules Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Jules I would prefer staying at home... I think the voting and being treated as an equal is important, but if I had the...

The thing about the woman's rights movement is that now you can choose if you want that lifestyle or not rather than being forced into it.

For the general female population, you are allowed to choose if you want to work or stay home. The point is unless you are bound by some circumstance (needing to work/stay home or someone will die), you are still at free will to pursue whatever future you'd like. That is what's important.

Jules, just wait 'til you hit menopause. My friend tells me once menopause hits, that want and desire to fill up the table with delicious meals and play lovey dovey dies out and eventually you want to live the things you missed out on.

I'm a woman and that's pretty much the set up I have now and guess what? I like it! My husband prefers to work and support me. I prefer to do all the cooking and cleaning, run all the errands, and do the majority of the child care. I get that for some women they like to work, but I agree with this post. No, women shouldn't be treated like objects or beaten and yes if we couldn't make it on one income I would get a job as soon as I could. For us though, and I'm sure for many other couples, we like having the traditional gender roles.

@I'm a woman and that's pretty much the set up I have now and guess what? I like it! My husband prefers to work and...

I don't know why you're being downvoted. You're just saying that the 1950's set up can work in modern life even though it's no longer socially required. This post is sort of ridiculous in my opinion because women still have this option. They don't have to work, but the option is there for those who do want to. I think that we have the best of both worlds right now.

Women and men have the right to choose the life they want to live. Not have to conform to a certain type of life because of their gender.

I disagree with this but I liked the Blood on the Dance Floor reference :)

Why is everyone NW'ing this? It's hilarious, and obviously not serious...

Emaphinas avatar Emaphina Yeah You Are -13Reply
@Emaphina Why is everyone NW'ing this? It's hilarious, and obviously not serious...

If you read the comments, OP states they are being serious.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +13Reply
@Frank_n_Furter If you read the comments, OP states they are being serious.

People on this website are too serious. He said 'tongue in cheek' so it's meant to be funny?

Emaphinas avatar Emaphina Yeah You Are -4Reply

Yes, blame the fucking whole American population why don't you? Jesus Christ, wow. You're bad at detecting a serious joke and when you're being irrational.

The post is supposed to be funny, that doesn't mean it wasn't supposed to be serious. "the general idea (that the role of traditional 1950s housewife seems fairly desirable) is valid in my book."

Oh my, taking things how people say them when there is no sarcasm or metaphor involved? How American.