+235

If the existence of Barbie dolls, Victoria's Secret models, and thin actresses truly placed overwhelming pressure on young girls to look a certain way, then you would think that the existence of G.I. Joe action figures, Hollister models, and ripped athletes would at least have some effect on young boys, amirite?

6 21

You are oblivious- those things actually DO affect boys.

Last timeI checked, most boys I know were trying to "bulk up" or at least avoid being a scrawny stick.

@1781157

male models for clothing are notable for their abilities? to do what? wear a t-shirt?

"Man that guy is really talented at wearing that t-shirt. I mean, look at him. Standing there. Wearing things. I wish I could do that!"

J_A_C_Ks avatar J_A_C_K No Way +19Reply
@1781157

My name is Bob, and I'm a raper. What's not to get?

Anyways, I'd credit that to how women are reacting, so that's kinda their fault. Also, female athlete are also appreciated for their abilities and not their looks, you just kinda pulled that out of the blue. The male equivalent of Barbie dolls is Ken or whatever, and he has a six pack and is sexy and whatnot. The male equivalent of Victoria Secret models are Calvin Klein models or really any clothing models, and they're both meant to look sexy to sell clothes. The male equivalent of thin actresses are sexy, fit guys and they're both used to give the movie a little eye candy.

@1781157

The fact that you think male models are notable for their abilities rather than their looks would suggest your opinion is highly biased...

@1781157

I think OP of this comment meant the model's ability to look like a God.

@1781157

I'm sorry I said "raper." I meant "rapist."

And I don't even rape women, calm down. Just little boys.

Slightly related video I stumbled across talking about the objectification of males and females in western society. Interesting watch, but long as hell.

I'm not a sexist but how exactly is the pressure placed on woman greater then men? If we're talking social pressure, not correlated with appearance, men are expected to be able to provide for a family while the woman stays at home. Historically men are taught that it's their responsibility to continue their family name while building a safe enviornment for that family and trying to progress in a professional capacity. I'm not saying these are as popular today as much as the 40s but the expectation is still there. Id say the stress of growing up is pretty equal on everyone.

Think of it this way. Men tend to not be affected by their surroundings. We were designed to be tough and utilitarian much like a metal barrel. Women are designed to be beautiful and pleasing to be around much like a vase of flowers. If you throw rocks at the barrel what happens? Nothing. If you throw rocks at the vase it shatters. Women are simply more prone to believe the things they hear and be affected by them.

Video games change everything

@Bernsteinbearrr Video games change everything

Exactly what are you implying?
Because if it's saying boys feel better about themselves because they game, that's sooooo not true. Plenty of girls do actual gaming (no, not the retarted sluts holding controllers, there's a difference that I won't explain now) and still very self concious. Also, I know plenty of guys who have low self esteem and still play.

There has been, and always will be pressure by society to look a certain way. The only difference is that this generation whines about it and uses it as an excuse to behave like brats.

@drhannah There has been, and always will be pressure by society to look a certain way. The only difference is that this...

Obviously pressure exists, and exponentially more so on women, but it is often misattributed to Barbies, models, and celebrities (as the post argues). The true source of the pressure is social roles and norms that have existed for literally millions of years.

I think it's less that this generation is "Whining about it" and more that we're starting to go against it. People are trying to change the fact that girls starve themselves to look skinnier.
That being said, I don't think owning a Barbie doll will make you develop an eating disorder, that it's something in you and while things can contribute, nothing will give you these issues.