+427

It's interesting how babies are actually born sort of as animals, all crawling and not comprehending (nor caring) for math and schedules and work and whatnot, but we as humans train them to become all human-y by teaching them to walk and do taxes. We train the little clumsy monkeys to become civilized and boring humans just like everybody else. It's not the race that is like this, it's the training. We're not naturally this way, we train each other to become this, amirite?

Nacklefoodles avatar Animals & Nature
49 78
The voters have decided that Nacklefoodle is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

"...but we as humans train them to become all human-y by teaching them to walk and do taxes." This sentence amuses me. I'm picturing a two-year-old doing taxes.

The problem lies not in how we are trained to act, but in how we are trained to think. We are currently in the midst of the most rapid increase in human understanding to date. The common man has a mountain of information at his fingertips and endless opportunities for life experience outside his door. Even the poorest of the poor has an infinite imagination that can be used to explore the world around us. The tools to break free from monotony are staring us in the face, yet we are either blind to them or ignore them because we feel entitled to something more.

@DanielJames The problem lies not in how we are trained to act, but in how we are trained to think. We are currently in the...

"I always looked at a bird and thought 'why do you stay in one place when you could fly anywhere?'. Then I ask myself the same question."

Well a bird can fly anywhere for free, for us to just get up and leave costs money, everything we need costs money. A bird can just relocate to a different tree or country with complete freedom (that we know of, heck maybe they have their own bird currency).

Humans are definitely designed to learn to walk (look at our bone structure), talk (we have huge areas of our brains devoted solely to language development), and think (evolutionary pressure caused our brains to grow bigger and our bodies to grow smaller: we are designed to survive by thinking rather than getting by with brute force or bodily adaptations, like monkeys). We get "trained" to be humans because that's what we're best at doing. We'd be pretty shitty monkeys. And "boring" and "civilized" are relative terms. Personally, I think human life is pretty exciting. And only some people are civilized. And few people employ any difficult math in our lives. Really we're more animalistic than you give us credit for. We're all fucking machines just like most primates, but we drive cars instead of climb trees.

@wobbuffet Humans are definitely designed to learn to walk (look at our bone structure), talk (we have huge areas of our...

Onepiece dude, you're taking it a bit to the extreme.

Wobbuffet, your kind of comment was exactly what I was looking for :)

While I agree with most of your comment I don't think you give monkeys enough credit. http://ctrlv.in/109323 Yup. It's spear fishing.

This entire time I was imagining a world of little babies in little suits, doing taxes and getting ready to go to their little job as a judge.

TheVibeAlchemists avatar TheVibeAlchemist Yeah You Are +25Reply
@TheVibeAlchemist This entire time I was imagining a world of little babies in little suits, doing taxes and getting ready to go to...

Ahem yes the jury agrees that the plane was indeed coming for your mouth and the mommy did indeed vanish and reappear with some use of her hands.

@1782607

I've seen videos of some, there was one boy that grew up in the woods and he was basically immune to the cold. He would run out and just roll around in the snow while everyone else was freezing.

ScottyDs avatar ScottyD Yeah You Are +15Reply
@1782607

@x3lovelife: I just read that entire article. I am now on the verge of tears and sick to my stomache. I just can't imagine anything like that. It's truly horrifying.

@1782607

The birth mother of the girl in that article is the scum of the earth.

They're kind of like half people. They can wear hats, but I don't think a baby can own it's own bus.

Statefarms avatar Statefarm Yeah You Are +21Reply
@Statefarm They're kind of like half people. They can wear hats, but I don't think a baby can own it's own bus.

Yes, and they cannot wear hats or own buses because they are not people. Babies can wear hats but (to my knowledge) cannot own buses, so they must be half people.

Statefarms avatar Statefarm Yeah You Are +7Reply

hehehehehehehehehehe. I actually snorted from laughter cuz that last comment. And anon, yes, that is EXACTLY what my point is, cuz it's so relevant to this post.

Colebowl are you saying that abortion is OK because fetuses aren't people? NOT Ok.

And that's a good thing. I'd hate to act like an animal my entire live. Civilized life ftw.

kipkayifys avatar kipkayify Yeah You Are +12Reply
@kipkayify And that's a good thing. I'd hate to act like an animal my entire live. Civilized life ftw.

Cuz other animals have more rational thought and actions than us, and don't have flaws.

I actually agree with coly here.

Which is my whole problem with this post. We're the way we are for a reason... if we left a baby to be free and on it's own, it's not going to be like an animal... it's going to be like the first humans that existed. That human isn't going to fit in with monkeys nor humans.

I don't think it's entirely training, our biological capabilities must allow for this training to actually work. If it was the training by itself, then a baby monkey raised by humans should act human. The evolution of society allows for these "human" characteristics/tools (math, reading, etc.) to develop over time but they're based on the human design and potential. Even our prehistoric ancestors were people that could reason to an extent. Who taught who if it's all training? It's like, a cycle. I think human contact/society is just necessary for a person to act "human" (it seems to me to be a reinforcement system) and without it (like feral children) there's no training but there's no human society either so they wouldn't act "human."

@CherryBlossom I don't think it's entirely training, our biological capabilities must allow for this training to actually work. If...

Wouldn't feral children just not act 'civilised'? Because that would be the training part I think

There was a case with a feral boy that was discovered. They tried to teach him, but he was never able to adopt "human" behaviour, such as speaking skills. Humans are social creatures and need human contact in order to develop properly.

This is only true to an extent. You can't take a dog or monkey and train him to be human, so there must be some sort of programming in the human that makes him want to become this way.

@thatguys This is only true to an extent. You can't take a dog or monkey and train him to be human, so there must be some...

Yes but do they care whether or not their owner stops getting income? They don't care until their food bowl stops refilling.

They don't care about taxes or jobs or self worth. They're an animal.

I agree with most other comments, babies are designed to become "humans". What I was most suprised about though was the statement about routines. If you've ever had or watched a baby you'd know that they are more strict to routines than most adults or young kids are. They eat meals at certain times, take naps almost the same time every day, they even poop on a routine. Babies can be like clockwork, you know when they cry at a certain time of day what is wrong. That is exactly why they are different than monkeys, even before they develop language they can somehow communicate their feelings. The reason they seem so much like neanderthals is that it is the mother's job to teach them and to raise them. What are we here for if not to continue the human race? I mean, that's the whole reason our sexual drive ia so strong, not because it "feels good" but because our bodies are supposed to make babies. Babies are hungry for knowledge. They don't become all "humanly" because we train them that way, they strive to learn. Now just because we lose that desire for knowledge the older we grow doesn't mean that it is forced upon them. Feral kids become that way because they aren't given a chance.

@I agree with most other comments, babies are designed to become "humans". What I was most suprised about though was...

So you agree, or disagree? I saw you making a lot of contradictory points here and there.

OnePiecepkmns avatar OnePiecepkmn Yeah You Are +3Reply

Oh sorry, I'm not anon

I just noticed how often people comment on how someone should agree or disagree and can't chose to do neither

And is there anything wrong with that?
You don't have to agree or disagree, that's the whole reason for not voting

It's all fine, it's just that I couldn't understand what you meant by saying that. Explain to me as if I were an 8 year-old.

OnePiecepkmns avatar OnePiecepkmn Yeah You Are 0Reply

But when the human race began, didn't we hunt animals with hand-carved tools, skinning them and building fire to keep warm? I think humans have always had a slight upper hand when it came to intelligence and competing with nature and the division between us and animals is just growing larger as we expand our aspect of life and their's seems pretty consistent. Also, babies are incredibly smart and learn at amazing speeds. It's less about adults "training" newborns and more about newborns learning from adults. They just mimic what they see until they're capable of being taught through language.

You should read the wiki article on humans. It's pretty interesting.

POTD?

@J_A_C_K POTD?

Just for me? You shouldn't have.

I want to share this post to all the communites and jimy kimels out there. Rock solid hard, man!

@J_A_C_K POTD?

Good Guy Greg Johnny

Walking is not “taught". It is instinctively learntand perfected by the child.

@lana Walking is not “taught". It is instinctively learntand perfected by the child.

Can you back up your claim?

Here is a wiki source to back mine up: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/...tepping_reflex

I'll provide some real sources once I am on a computer.

The two uniquely human behaviours, bipedalism and language development are instinctive to humans. Although we are unable to either walk or talk at birth, the instructions on how to acquire those skills are present. A child will learn to walk by him/herself when the appropriate center of gravity is established, i.e. the head is not too big for the body and the legs are long enough.

With language, it is a little more complicated and the child will only develop a comprehensible language if exposed to one. But the child already know how to distinguish between phonemes and segment words. He/she can simply observe and learn. Unlike in mathematics, where the basics need to be taught, in language, the basics are instinctively self learned.

If walking isn't instinctive and it's only taught, then no one would be walking upright cuz there would be no one to teach the first person who started walking upright.

So lets look at newborn animals. Many have to be taught things by their mothers, so what are they born as and are the things they are taught unnatural?

scojos avatar scojo No Way 0Reply

It's nice to know that the amirite community is more articulate and intelligent than most.

You could say that about any animal.

@Horseboat You could say that about any animal.

actually that isn't true. Stray cats act completely different from domesticated cats. There are also other factors coming into play than just if it "grew up with it's family". Often times a kitten will even die if it is taken from it's mother too soon. A feral cat in New York city would behave differently than a feral cat in the country.

A cat grown up by himself will behave just like a cat who grew up with his family. No, it is not the same for other animals.

Nacklefoodles avatar Nacklefoodle Yeah You Are +7Reply

No shit about the first part, obviously people who grew up differently are going to be different. Just no about the second part.

Also, the way humans act is because of human instinct. People aren't trained to be people, they are born to be people.

That is a terrible example, especially considering their point about social animals. That doesn't make people "trained" to act how they do, people are born to act like people not trained. Taking someone out of the normal human environment is obviously going to make them different. Is the stray cat trained to be a cat just because he acts in the way most cats do? Or is the cat with a home trained to be domesticated? Is the human who grows up like most humans trained to act like how they are, or is the one who grew up differently in the wild trained to be different? No one is fucking trained to act the way they do unless they were brain washed. Environment =/= training. People have the tools to be able to act the way people do in their brain, fish do not. You couldn't train a fish to act human and you don't train a human to act human, humans just are.

A cat who grew up by himself will be fine because cats aren't social creatures. Take an ape or any other social animal and no, they will not act they same if they grew up with others of their kind or alone.

A person who lived from birth 20 years in the wild will not act the same way as a civilized 20 year old who's finished 12 years of school and grew up in a city. No. It's the training.

Nacklefoodles avatar Nacklefoodle Yeah You Are 0Reply

@Nacklefoodle: Just because a human in the wild would be different from one living in our society doesn't mean that we are trained to be human. Sure, we learn what different things are, we learn to use electronics; but that's not what a human is. If you took a group of babies, and they survived in the wild, sure they might not be anywhere near as advanced as us, but a lack of technology and system doesn't mean they aren't human, it just means that they haven't progressed that far. The Amazonian tribes are no less human than us, they are just less advanced. Humans would still use tools, think (provided that they have a medium to do so with) and speak. Also, they would still have a great curiosity about their surroundings. It's just what we are.

Im not saying we're not humans I'm just saying we live far less by instincts and by nature than other animals. If you were born as any other animal without any technology or knowledge acquired already for you, we'd look like a completely different species. A cat grown up in a forest and in a home will act similarly: like a cat. But two humans grown up in different natural habitats would also act similarly: like humans, but this behavior wouldn't look like any normal human we see nowadays. I'm not being against anything I'm just saying this is a pretty cool thing I noticed.

Yes, that is called culture. When the Europeans came to America (sorry) what would become the USA they thought the Natives were savages. They were absolutely different, and same with Africans. Both Africans, and Native Americans seemed totally different, and they were; but they still had all of the human characteristics.

Human instinct is to grow and create, even those in the wild do that. All humans follow instinct, it is impossible not to follow instinct. And a wild cat and a domesticated cat don't act similarly at all.

Yes, but we also form languages, and think, form opinions, and manipulate our surroundings. We also make most decisions based on emotion (not always good) and we do that regardless of "training".

We have areas of a brain meant to do that. We aren't trained, we're meant to. Even someone who didn't grow up around society does all of those things.

@anon That's what I'm saying, humans are humans; we aren't trained to do so.

I mean that it'll still be a cat and it'll still live 100% by its instincts. Just because he'll be fatter or comfier doesn't mean it's the same as the post. In the post I mean it'll stop acting like a human completely and will act like a wild animal, while cats will stay cats.

Nacklefoodles avatar Nacklefoodle Yeah You Are -6Reply

Humany wumany....

4/10.
This post isn't really an opinion, or a joke, it's just interesting.

@AppAwesome 4/10. This post isn't really an opinion, or a joke, it's just interesting.

It's not a joke... this is a website for opinions, and I like leaving my opinions on other "opinions".

This is so science-y.

@thesinginghippie This is so science-y.

Not really, it's philosophy if anything. Science says practically the opposite of what this post is saying. Humans aren't trained to be human, they're designed to be human.

Anonymous