+100

People who haven't read the series think The Hunger Games is just a disgusting book about people killing each other, but it is really a fantastic book writen in such a way that it discretely reflects upon todays politics, war, television, and life itself, amirite?

notsurewhattohaveasausernames avatar Books
3 39
The voters have decided that notsurewhattohaveasausername is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I find it pretty interesting that just a few months ago, everyone was singing praises for The Hunger Games, and now we've got pseudo-critics tearing it apart.

I can't tell if it's the fact that people are starting to do more in depth readings of it and find it lacking, or they just want to rip on it because it's popular.

It has it's flaws, but I wouldn't call it /terrible/. It's decent.

@monstrosity I find it pretty interesting that just a few months ago, everyone was singing praises for The Hunger Games, and now...

I read the series a little before the movie came out. I fully expected to like it and bought all three books in hardcover and added them to my collection. Personally, I think you heard more praises back then because a) the movie was creating a wave of brand new fans, b) a lot of people hadn't read the whole series yet, and c) the series got progressively worse, so by the time people finished Mockinjay there was a lot of hate for it. I remember seeing people expressing their dislike for it on amirite months ago, but like Runy said, we were overpowered. I was left very disappointed with the books, and to be honest, I don't remember much about them as they did not have a lasting impression on me.

_Jojo_s avatar _Jojo_ No Way +1Reply

Erm, there were people disliking it months ago and even before that. It was just still being outweighed by the loads of fans going "ER MER GURD!"
It doesn't take an in depth read to dislike something either. Some people just don't enjoy the genre at all, some people have higher standards, etc.. Nothing wrong with that.

Runys avatar Runy No Way 0Reply

That is exactly the reason I got bored and couldn't continue. It was just too simple. The author did not utilize the context that she created to its fullest potential. The characters were under developed. The focus of the story quickly changed from the politics of a dystopia to a teenage love triangle. It was just a mess.

I read it when the movie was about to be releases and it was very popular. I had trouble even finishing the first book because if how lacking it was.

I thought the book was going to have an interesting moral dilemma when it came to killing people out of survival, but the main character just conveniently avoided situations that would make her deal with that.

@1783715

Just because a concept was borrowed from somewhere else doesn't make it automatically bad. I mean, hell, nearly all of Shakespeare's work was ripped off of old Greek and Roman pieces, and I'm pretty sure people consider him a good writer. It's pretty impossible to come up with something that's completely original. Humans have been around for a long time. A lot of stuff has been done already. What makes a good writer is one that can take an 'unoriginal' concept and twist it into something that's unique.

@1783715

Thank you for restating what I could have just read by scrolling up, but I wasn't talking about your opinion of the book. I wasn't trying to defend it. If you think it's bad, you think it's bad, whatever.

My point was that to argue something is bad because it's an 'unoriginal concept' is a useless and ignorant argument because nothing is truly original.

@1783715

If you would, can you to explain how it's unoriginal?

@1783715

The characters being so underdeveloped and the very annoying love triangle are what killed it for me.

_Jojo_s avatar _Jojo_ No Way -1Reply

No it tries to do all those things. The characters and setting are too unrealistic for it to succeed with any sort of message.

George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire does a much better job accurately portraying war and I would expect it too because it's adult fantasy.

@MartellusBoss No it tries to do all those things. The characters and setting are too unrealistic for it to succeed with any sort...

He's told the producers of game of thrones the major plot points for the rest of the series in case he dies but he also doesn't want someone else writing it.

I keep imagining what would happen if George just died and we never get the next two books. (I'm currently reading Clash of Kings)

I'm glad I started reading when I did.(I started reading after dance.) because I can't imagine having to wait as long as people did.

Underdeveloped characters? Unoriginal? lolwut smilie
Yes, the concept was borrowed from something else, but what it was borrowed from was a real-life event, not somebody else's work. In my opinion, it was very well written and the characters were developed just fine, especially since it was told in present tense.
As for the "annoying" love triangle, that definitely wasn't the focus of the story, unlike some poorly written books (coughTwilightcough). It merely added to the plot and was kind of a side story going on behind all the action. Without the love triangle, I feel like it would have lacked a lot of structure because there would have been no rhyme or reason behind many of the characters' actions.
It also spoke a lot to how what our society could become if we keep doing what we're doing.
This is just my personal opinion, and I realize I could have just written a reply, but I thought it applied to more than just that discussion going on up at the top.

justfuckmeups avatar justfuckmeup Yeah You Are +3Reply
@justfuckmeup Underdeveloped characters? Unoriginal? Yes, the concept was borrowed from something else, but what it was...

I agree that some of the characters were, more or less, empty shells like Bella was, but I think Katniss, Peeta, and Gale at least were developed as much as they needed to be. The supporting characters (think Katniss's mom, etc.) weren't as developed because they were just that-- supporting characters.
I can understand why people wouldn't be into that, but it played more to my taste because I personally don't like it when a lot of time is spent on supporting characters that aren't as prevalent to the plot.

I can understand how you would feel that way, in some ways they were just objects but I definitely feel like there were some times when they had personality.

justfuckmeups avatar justfuckmeup Yeah You Are +1Reply

I really don't feel like getting into a big argument about this, so let's just respectfully disagree.

justfuckmeups avatar justfuckmeup Yeah You Are 0Reply

Without the love triangle it would have lacked structur because that was the main story line.

I almost want to read it just so I can have an opinion on it.

I refused to read the books until a month ago, and when I picked one up, I loved it. It had a very good message, and now I'm just waiting for the movie to come out on DVD do I can watch it.

I read the first Hunger Games when it first came out because it seemed interesting. It was mediocre. I didn't try the later books when they came out becuase I thought that they wouldn't be worth my time, but I eventually did try them recently. They get better (Mockingjay was at least decent), but I still didn't enjoy them much, and they definately didn't live up to the hype that they got (although there are very few books that do deserve that level of praise).

I thought it was a series about a girl who doesn't like cats but in the end decides they're okey?

That's what I heard at least...