+94

Track and field and swimming are great barometers for basic human fitness. Of the over 40 official track and field events, men hold the world record in all but one, and by a large margin in most. The same can be said about swimming, except it's a clean sweep. As much as some people push the idea that men and women are equally athletic, it is hard to justify after looking at the numbers, amirite?

0 14

No one really thinks men and women, on average, are equally skilled in muscle sports like running/swimming.

@spareseconds No one really thinks men and women, on average, are equally skilled in muscle sports like running/swimming.

yeah, I've never heard anyone try to argue that women are, in general, equal to men physically. But rather, that there ARE women who are equal to if not totally surpass men in these types of things

I've always thought men are better physically, women are better emotionally and both are equal psychologically, but I have to say somethign about this.

There are two teams of 100 people in a 100m race. A has 100 people who clear the race in precisely 10s. B has three who clear the race in 9s, and 97 who clear in 30s. Which team is better as a whole?

This isn't true for the point OP brought up, but I'm just saying if we want to judge this sort of thing, we have to look at the mean, median, mode and SD, not just whose top 1% is higher than the other's top 1%. The point is true, but the margin is smaller when you look at everything.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are +7Reply
@1786262

Smart-ass reply: It can be crudely defined as "an indicator," which is how said people use it. Enough people use it in this way that it could be an additional definition. It's part of the evolution of language.

Friendly reply: I just compared dozens of world records that are measured in meters, so "barometer" came to mind when writing the post. It's a quasi-fit so I ran with it.

@1786262

Yeah but the logic seems a bit flawed when you look at it all - because it hinges on there being a lot of people who claim men and women, generally speaking, are totally equal physically. I don't think there are really "many" who would claim that. But there definitely are women who are equal or better.

@1786262

It's clearly acknowledged in many sports. Even golf has a little patronizing "ladies tee" hahaha. The women on my local course don't need it, that's for sure! :-P

What record isn't held by a man?

pantherfanatics avatar pantherfanatic Yeah You Are +1Reply
@pantherfanatic What record isn't held by a man?

50m hurdle, 60m hurdle, discus throw, ...

@50m hurdle, 60m hurdle, discus throw, ...

He said men have all but one...

pantherfanatics avatar pantherfanatic Yeah You Are 0Reply

I always thought of men as more strong and women as more flexible, but most of our sports put more emphasis on muscle, which gives men the advantage. Guess it depends on how you define "athletic".