+375

It's odd how when teenagers start to date there is always some negative criticism. Yet when an older couple talks about how they met when they were teenagers and have been married for 20+ years, it's automatically cute and romantic, amirite?

douloureuxs avatar
12 17
The voters have decided that douloureux is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I don't think it's cute and romantic. I just think they're luckier than other teenagers.

@AdonisBatheus I don't think it's cute and romantic. I just think they're luckier than other teenagers.

You can't really be "experienced" in love unless you try. I think you might be thinking about this a little too hard? I meant to ask why is it cute today for older couples to say they started dating as teenagers without someone scolding them that they were too young. They already proved themselves by then. Now teenagers aren't given a chance to prove that they can be as you call it "the lucky ones."

douloureuxs avatar douloureux Yeah You Are +10Reply

Well it was more accepted back in those days to get together at a young age than it is today. I just think that it's curious that today we can't see it that way anymore.

douloureuxs avatar douloureux Yeah You Are +8Reply

Yes, and teenagers are in the trying stage. They don't know what they're doing.
Very few have the luckiness to already meet their love at a young age. But it's only luck. They're not anymore special than a person who met their love at 28.

Ok... I don't see people going up to older couples and giving them negative criticism about their relationship and how they started dating early.

douloureuxs avatar douloureux Yeah You Are +5Reply

It's because back then you died at like 30, and marriage was more about money than it was love. When you date at 15 or so now, nobody cares. But they start caring when you say, "I love him so much. <33" because you have no experience in the field of love. You're too young and inexperienced.

@1786738

Yeah, but if they listen to all the criticism of today back then, they wouldn't have defied the odds.

douloureuxs avatar douloureux Yeah You Are +2Reply
@1786738

I agree with OP - teenage relationships shouldn't be viewed so negatively, since it's still possible that they'll go all the way. The world is respledent with examples of high school sweethearts who stay together. It really depends how you end up living your life.

TommyUK1234s avatar TommyUK1234 Yeah You Are +2Reply
@1786738

Good for you! You're not missing anything, trust me. It's mostly just senseless agism!

TommyUK1234s avatar TommyUK1234 Yeah You Are +1Reply
@1786738

i never hear of teenagers being criticized for dating

Because people assume most teenagers aren't mature enough, which I agree with. When you've been together that long and met when you were that young, you "stood the test of time", which unfortunately can't be said for many teenage relationships.

kipkayifys avatar kipkayify Yeah You Are +9Reply