-101

You have a lot more hope for our generation when it comes to lasting marriages because most of us have had to deal with our parents getting divorced, amirite?

Tatum_MinusChannings avatar Life
0 15
The voters have decided that Tatum_MinusChanning is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I don't want to sound like a negative Nancy, but I feel that the marriage situation is going to get worse. Though you and I probably feel differently, we live in a very quick-fix society where a lot of people believe that marriage is a never-ending fairy tale party, and when people consider divorce at the drop of a hat. Not to mention how much emphasis people put on money and careers, it's pretty difficult to keep a marriage alive when both partners have serious careers as well as children.
Just how I feel =/

@kipkayify I don't want to sound like a negative Nancy, but I feel that the marriage situation is going to get worse. Though...

I agree. It is a lot easier these days to get divorced, and it also is more generally accepted which I think is a main factor in the rise in divorces. Not only that, but a lot of people view marriages as just another relationship and not a life-long commitment to another person. Also people are more likely to live together before marriage and studies show that people who do so do not have as long of marriages.

Optimism is so cute.

Runys avatar Runy No Way +10Reply
@1794702

Perhaps that is true for some kids, but not everyone. My step aunt has been divorced 4 times and the only thing that taught her daughter was that divorce was the answer to fixing a problem.

Studies show that people with divorced parents are more likely to have a failed marriage than those whose parents are happily married.

I think there will either be a lot more shotgun weddings that end in divorce, or simply less marriages. Some people may have seen what their parents went through during a divorce, and they fear that they would have to experience the same thing. So they just don't get married.

No, it will definitely get worse. For one, people don't follow religion as strictly anymore. The main reason to not get a divorce many years ago was because it defiles the sanctity of marriage. Basically it was a taboo, but because it became so common, it's just socially acceptable now. People are also getting married pretty young, just as many divorced couples did. Typically, the younger you are to marry, the more likely you are to end up in divorce.

But what does it really matter? Unless it is seriously, negatively affecting your family, who cares. Go out and get married and divorced as many times as you'd like. Doesn't mean a thing to me.

@acisseJ No, it will definitely get worse. For one, people don't follow religion as strictly anymore. The main reason to not...

Well yes, life expectancy has increased, but I wasn't thinking that far back :P I was thinking more of my parents, like my mother who got pregnant at 21, and soon after got married. And then there was my grandmother who was 19 or 20. Maybe I'm just thinking of my family too much.

But generally, if you are 25 and younger, your marriage is just that much more likely to end in divorce. I have no idea, statistically, how many people are getting married at those ages though.

It has only been in the last couple of decades that the age people get married has increased. And on average, the age is actually still on the rise. People used to get married when they were in their teens because the life expectancy of humans was much lower. As our lifespans increased, people did not feel the rush to get married so early in life. The average age is now in the late 20s to early 30s.

@1795299

But that's not very useful, if you're having kids, and being serious and sharing finances, then you have just as much to lose. The terrible thing about getting a divorce isn't saying "I'm divorced", it's fighting for custody and splitting property and the emotional pain of falling out of love.

bangss avatar bangs No Way +1Reply
@1795299

It's your life and whatever you decide is best for you is what you should do, as I'm sure you will. I was just giving you some information I learned in my psychology class.

@1795299

People who live together are actually more likely to experience divorce than people who do not live together prior to getting married. Having kids prior to getting married also increases the chances of divorce.