+162

No one should have to work two jobs to make ends meet. If someone works an honest living and makes smart life choices, its only fair that they should have time/energy to enjoy life and family a little, amirite?

Joe_Larsons avatar Life
4 14
The voters have decided that Joe_Larson is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Welcome to the theory of minimum wage. The concept is that a person working 40 hours at minimum wage still makes enough to keep themselves above the poverty line.

I say theory because there is not a single state in the US where minimum wage is actually high enough to do this.

Apple_Pies avatar Apple_Pie Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Apple_Pie Welcome to the theory of minimum wage. The concept is that a person working 40 hours at minimum wage still makes...

Good thing Americans have such a warm sense of poverty. Someone under the "Poverty Line" in America is still better off than 80% of the rest of the world.

We live in a meritocratic world. If the guy didn't get a good education, and instead 'wasted' his childhood playing around, he wouldn't be able to get enough money from a single job. He screwed up and now he's paying for it. So I agree on that point.

However, if the guy has a low IQ, which is not his fault, he still doesn't deserve a good job, because companies shouldn't have to pay for his being born; it's not their fault either. If he's just incompetent, he should have to work two jobs because it's not fair to push the blame to his theoretical sole employer, no matter how smart his life choices were and how much effort he put in. It IS the final result that counts, not how you get there. Unless it was some kind of cheating way like bribery. Then you don't deserve shit.

@B10ckH34d We live in a meritocratic world. If the guy didn't get a good education, and instead 'wasted' his childhood playing...

Not everyone who didn't get a good education was just "playing around". A lot of poorer neighborhoods have sub-par schools, and the culture of dropping out plus negative adult role models can also play a role. If your parents never showed interest in your schoolwork or pushed you, I'll bet you wouldn't graduate either.

Besides, even well qualified, hard working, and educated people can fall through the cracks when the economy sucks in their given field.

In short, there are many circumstances where minimum wage people are not at fault, and should at least have the rights to a living wage. I mean, they are still working just like everyone else, right? It's not like they are just sitting around in a trailer park watching TV all day.

But alas, life isn't fair. In many ways we are products of the environment and opportunities we grew up with, and there is also just bad luck which is out of our control

Joe_Larsons avatar Joe_Larson Yeah You Are 0Reply

It depends on what you consider "smart life choices." Is it a smart choice to do what makes you happy, or to do what makes you the most money? Does a person whose dream job is a low-paying one deserve less family time than someone who sacrifices happiness for a higher paycheck?

@partinobodycular It depends on what you consider "smart life choices." Is it a smart choice to do what makes you happy, or to do...

good point. but for most people, family is the ultimate happiness. so I don't think many people would choose a "dream job", especially a low pay one, if it significantly sacrificed time with their family.

Usually the scenario plays out opposite of what you described: people chase money and success at high wage careers, and end up distancing themselves from their families.

Just an example to back all these words up: My supervisor at Walmart has been working at a low position for 6 years, even though he is very well qualified, because he knows that a higher managerial job would hurt his family life. And he is unwilling to make that sacrifice.

Joe_Larsons avatar Joe_Larson Yeah You Are -1Reply

Moral of the story...life is not always fair

I'm always in a state of confict when it comes to how I approach life. Should it be the evolutionary way where the strongest, most adaptable survives or should the "weak" be tended to and taken care of?

@I'm always in a state of confict when it comes to how I approach life. Should it be the evolutionary way where the...

I feel the same way. Logically, the first option makes sense, but it feels so inhumane to think that way.

Fuck the economy.

Lamb_of_Gods avatar Lamb_of_God Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Lamb_of_God Fuck the economy.

Thanks. I will remember that for the comment where I say "Fuck anonymous's mother." :)

Lamb_of_Gods avatar Lamb_of_God Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Lamb_of_God Fuck the economy.

you forgot to add 'hurr durr' at the end.

And yet money is still taken away from these people and given to those that don't work.

its_mes avatar its_me Yeah You Are -1Reply
Anonymous