+108

Why is it if you are a pretty black girl who speaks well it's automatically assumed you're mixed...why can't she just be a pretty black girl...don't try to dilute her ethnicity amirite?

People & Celebrities
1 17

Who thinks that? Honestly I've never heard that.

How often does that happen? (genuinely curious)

Like most commentors, I've never heard that. Honestly, if you're light-skinned, people are going to assume you're mixed without knowing how you speak. I can't imagine a really dark-skinned girl getting mistaken for being mixed just because she's pretty and speaks well.

What if you're an ugly black girl that speaks well..does the stereotype still hold like this is a legit question.

Remember, stereotypes exist because people fit into them.

As such, there are many black females who do not speak well and are not educated. But like every stereotype, there's many people who don't fit into them. It's just that that deviant isn't recognized as the same type of the person that they should be stereotyped in, which is why people question it. Nobody's used to something going out of what's considered the norm. Often people ask me, "Wait, you're gay?" because I don't dress in rainbows and talk with an absurd voice. But I don't take offense, because there's many gay people in my school that do do that and it's seen as the norm. And the best way to educate someone is to stay calm and educate them, rather than be offended and yell at them. Many people don't see things that aren't stereotyped, so you just have to make them aware that they exist.

I've never heard that in my life. The top student of my middle school graduation was (and still is, actually) black, and no one questioned her. Now we go to the high school, and she just continues to be awesome, intelligent and attractive.

I've never been mistaken for being mixed. I think I'm too dark for that. But I think it's interesting that people have experienced this.

I down voted this because I think it's racist to say that being mixed is a dilution. I get the concept you're going for, but I disagree. Also, your cultural identity, including ethnicity, socioeconomic background, and other factors also play into your persona. The color of your skin is part of that, not the end all be all. Anyone who judges a persons worthiness or intelligence by their melanin levels is a moron.

Trishs avatar Trish No Way +5Reply

Never heard of this before, interesting though

What kind of idiot asks that question?
That'd be a question you'd get punched for, rightfully so I'd say as well.
It doesn't matter at all.

Lens avatar Len No Way +1Reply
@Len What kind of idiot asks that question? That'd be a question you'd get punched for, rightfully so I'd say as...

I'm mixed and I wouldn't care if someone asked me what race I am, because in my mind looking like only one race isn't something I particularly care about.

Of course, it's different if a stranger just walks up to me and asks me what race I am. My first experience as a freshman in high school was a senior walking up to me and asking me if I was Mexican. I'm half Asian and half white.

I haven't heard of that either.

silvershadow6s avatar silvershadow6 Yeah You Are +1Reply

Your mix of pronouns irritates me. But about the post, I've never heard of this happening.

To the people who have never heard of this happening.. it happens quite often..and I was referring to lighter shaded African Americans... but yes I said dilution ..because it seems as if in today's society if a black person speaks well they are "whitewashed" and if not whitewashed then biracial. Instead of just being educated..

All the time despite the medias depiction of what blacks are like.. in real life there's many educated and good looking black ppl in the world.

@All the time despite the medias depiction of what blacks are like.. in real life there's many educated and good...

Oh gosh I'm sorry if it sounded like I didn't think there were many pretty and educated black people. I know quite a few. I just didn't know how often they got mistaken for mixed.

Anonymous