+214

If a person is mentally stable but restricted by physical limitations due to an illness such as locked-in syndrome, they should have the right to allow someone to help them die if they no longer wish to live, amirite?

Scientists avatar Politics
1 27
The voters have decided that Scientist is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1795568

I came here to say that.

I had to write a paper about this a while back. It is actually a really interesting topic to dig deeper on. cool story, I know.

@MIDNIGHTANGEL I had to write a paper about this a while back. It is actually a really interesting topic to dig deeper on. cool...

Same, I had to write a paper for or against euthanasia. I was for it, but my teacher gave me nasty remarks how I had no respect for life. Sigh.

Ethans avatar Ethan Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1795587

You really can't use it to exploit other people though. No one else would have any say in it. It would just be between the doctor and the patient.

foryoublues avatar foryoublue Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1796047

But assisted suicide would be completely up to the patient to pursue. It's really easy to simply refuse to do it without explicit consent from the patient. If it's not the patient that asks for it to be done, that's not assisted suicide, it's murder. And obviously no ethical doctor would take part in it, and it wouldn't be legal.

@1796278

I never said every doctor is ethical. My point is that you can't outlaw it because of that. Just because something like that could happen doesn't make it a good reason to outlaw it. It's not right to make people live who are suffering and wish to die. There are ways to prevent a law like this being taken advantage of by family members, and if you make the decisions between the doctor and patient only, it's easy enough to keep things like that from happening.

@1796518

That's not a good comparison at all. Speeding endangers everyone else on the road. Assisted suicide is about letting someone who is suffering choose to die. That doesn't put anyone else in danger. And who are you to say that it's a minority of people who would want to die? You have no idea how many people would be interested in euthanasia. If a doctor talks directly to a terminally ill patient about end-of-life options that doesn't leave a lot of room for outside influence from family members. So I would love to hear how it is for the greater good to force people who are going to die anyway suffer until they die naturally.

@1796541

I'm not trolling and I did read every word you wrote. It's not my fault that you can't back up your argument and so are looking for a way out. Not to mention I called you out on this claim that only a minority of people would want to take advantage of assisted suicide, which you have yet to back up with any sort of proof.

i googled locked in syndrome and found this article

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/...cklinson-does/

I feel so bad for this man. Did the court have no sympathy or something?

I read a very touching story related to this today. Me before you by Jojo Moyes. It's lovely.

Wait, so the court denied him the right to end his own life?

omgeetoasts avatar omgeetoast Yeah You Are 0Reply
@omgeetoast Wait, so the court denied him the right to end his own life?

That sounds incredibly cruel... besides, if he clearly has no will whatsoever to live then what do we gain by forcing him to remain alive? Poor guy.

omgeetoasts avatar omgeetoast Yeah You Are +8Reply

He can't end it himself, so he would need a doctor to end it for him. They're not allowing a doctor to help end his life.

LittleReds avatar LittleRed Yeah You Are 0Reply

i look at who downvoted and see pug and chocolatecake. what a suprise

Physician assisted suicide is legal in Oregon and Washington State. It's called the "Death With Dignity Act."

I'm stating my opinion that if they passed an assisted suicide law with certain requirements for the doctor it would be do more good than harm. The only thing I suggested was that you back up that one specific claim, but obviously you can't, so it's invalid.