+199

Even though you don't understand what they are, it's badass that dark energy and dark matter are actual scientific things, amirite?

5 9

Science in general is cool. I'm surprised more people don't like it.

kipkayifys avatar kipkayify Yeah You Are +15Reply

It should be noted that NO ONE understands what they are. And personally that's what makes them so cool to me.

Scientists avatar Scientist Yeah You Are +8Reply
@Scientist It should be noted that NO ONE understands what they are. And personally that's what makes them so cool to me.

Why do you say that? (@creativeusername) Wikipedia is probably the single most informative site on the internet.

I meant, don't understand as in can't even get through half of the Wikipedia articles on them.

What I m trying to say is, there could be a million articles saying that dark matter holds the universe together and whatnot. But it simply states what we know. Not everything there is to know.

From what I understand, dark matter is very dense matter that absorbs all light to make it invisible. (this part is my theory) Possibly existing as neutron star material, which is closely pack neutrons, instead of atoms. If it's not spinning, it probably doesn't generate EM radiation and would still be more or less invisible. The mass of dark matter generates gravity and it's this gravity that controls whether the universe eventually collapses or continues to grow.

Dark energy is basically anti-gravity, but it works on the fabric of the universe rather than on objects. I have no idea what it could be, because gravitons haven't been proven to exist, so it may not be anti-gravitons. Or maybe, and I'm just bullshitting this, it's gaseous matter with anti-gravitic properties to bend light around it, and is small enough to pass through stuff like neutrinos do.it also absorbs gravitons and inhibits gravity like things absorb photons.