+797

You'll never understand why websites require your password to have 8 numbers, 5 punctuation marks, 2 Greek letters and an elvish verb, amirite?

Distinctionss avatar Internet & Apps
123 55
The voters have decided that Distinctions is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

If I want my password to be "password", chances are I don't give a crap whether or not my account ever gets hacked into.

Distinctionss avatar Distinctions Yeah You Are +81Reply
@Distinctions If I want my password to be "password", chances are I don't give a crap whether or not my account ever gets hacked into.

That, or you don't know how to make a secure password. Remember that not everyone knows computers.

I now want to have Elvish verbs in all my passwords.

ScottyDs avatar ScottyD Yeah You Are +65Reply

This reminds me of a joke where a blonde sets her password as PeterLoisChrisMegStewieBrianSpringfield because it had to be at least 6 characters long with at least one capital

MyHotHotJams avatar MyHotHotJam Yeah You Are +36Reply

I think it's because there are youthful people on the internet (meaning children). They don't know that "cats" isn't a safe password, and they need to be taught that "9CaTS135" is a safer, securer password. The quickest way is to put limitations on the password.

@AdonisBatheus I think it's because there are youthful people on the internet (meaning children). They don't know that "cats"...

True, but if they never learn then they could use this password for a banking account or something of equal value.

@Shannon: Like Meh said, if you don't learn these things for useless things (such as Neopets or Club Penguin) that have the same concept for larger things (such as your bank account or personal e-mail), then you'll have weak passwords for a long time until you learn the lesson the hard way.

Would you rather tell your kid that the stove will give them a second-degree burn, or would you rather they touch it themselves?

Cripes, you might wanna tone down on the grammar Nazism, then. I suggest learning how to read poor grammar and spelling errors. Regardless of how stupid it is, it's nifty for jokes and trying to comprehend some teenagers when you need to.

(I was also joking when I said that)
I don't really need to have perfect punctuation though, considering you can understand what I'm saying regardless.

Because fuck alzheimer

Simple solution: Put all of your passwords in 1337. Nobody will have any fucking idea what you meant.

oh i dunno, all my passwords have been pretty easy to remember...
I_W4η7_t0_giv3_bir7h_t0_b4bψ_c4ts
Mψ_τ4b6y_c4t_h4s_a_b0n3r_and _1t_turns_m3_0n
I_c4n_ f1t_ 5_ c4ts_1n_my_ρ4nt5_4nd_ur_j3ll1n
<3_m4k3_fluffψ_c4t5_n0t_ω4r_<3

elvish verbs being bir, tur, ur, and luf

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are +10Reply
@AppleTree This reminds me of http://xkcd.com/936/

Love that one! If only the people who create password requirements had seen it too.

Distinctionss avatar Distinctions Yeah You Are +1Reply

You beat me to it... It's worth noting that I follow this method all the time :P

GryndStones avatar GryndStone Yeah You Are 0Reply

A good password doesn't need numbers/caps/etc; if the password is just long it's harder (takes longer) to crack.

What the fuck is an Elvish verb?

Blucatts avatar Blucatt Yeah You Are +8Reply

The problem I had with my old password was that it was 25 letters long, meaning it would be too long for many websites.

One of my first passwords was spelled wrong so it ended up being secure anyway, because who would guess "cittycat"

Most of my passwords aren't even real words.

@1798934

First world problems...

Ismypasswordsecure.net

ToastedStews avatar ToastedStew Yeah You Are -1Reply
@ToastedStew Ismypasswordsecure.net

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa would take two trillion years, but
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa would take 63 trillion years. I don't think this is legit.

names avatar name Yeah You Are +14Reply
@ToastedStew Ismypasswordsecure.net

apparently "penislover69" would take 15 thousand years to crack

@1823066

OH, IT'S ON
http://ctrlv.in/117002
(password I use for paypal)

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are +4Reply

Applying that theory, not my password, but I'd make my username !!καshish'123456789!!
I'm not quite sure what would count as an Elvish verb though.

The password is monkeyslut.