+215

It's pretty ridiculous and hypocritical how pro-life people are so concerned about the life of a fetus, and then don't really care about the conditions in which it lives after it's born, amirite?

foryoublues avatar
10 35
The voters have decided that foryoublue is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Well, they're just so tired after those protests, you know. Plus, thinking about all those unwanted children possibly ending up in Foster Care makes them sad.

ScottyDs avatar ScottyD Yeah You Are +5Reply

since when do we not care? o_o All we're initially vying for is that the kid has a chance at life. The quality of his/her life is another issue entirely.

@I_Predict_A_Riot since when do we not care? o_o All we're initially vying for is that the kid has a chance at life. The quality of...

Republicans are typically against types of socialism like welfare, food stamps, free healthcare, etc, all of which would be necessary for a poor mother who kept her baby.

sparesecondss avatar spareseconds Yeah You Are +9Reply

Well if you're pro-life you are, by definition, opposed to abortion, even if that means the baby is born into poverty or ends up in foster care. And in my experience, pro-life people don't do a whole lot to support kids after they're born, they only care about getting them to the point of birth. Not to mention a lot of people who are pro-life are conservative, and therefore are opposed to many programs that would help kids and families living in poverty.

foryoublues avatar foryoublue Yeah You Are +8Reply

I think it comes from the stereotype, usually applied to Republicans, that people who are pro life are also pro capital punishment.

That's so skewed. You can't in your right mind connect us being pro capital punishment to us not caring about kids.

It's not that they don't care - but it is better to live a hard life that can have good moments then to not get a chance at all.

@cookiedough It's not that they don't care - but it is better to live a hard life that can have good moments then to not get a...

Maybe in your opinion. But there are some people who live really tough lives who may wish they never had to endure the hardships they face. And a fetus isn't a sentient being anyway, so it's not like they could wish they'd had the opportunity to live.

foryoublues avatar foryoublue Yeah You Are 0Reply
@foryoublue Maybe in your opinion. But there are some people who live really tough lives who may wish they never had to endure...

But it could eventually have the will to live. And some people maybe do wish they were never born, but others do not. I don't know how the baby would feel.

@cookiedough But it could eventually have the will to live. And some people maybe do wish they were never born, but others do...

It doesn't feel either way. Which is why I personally don't believe abortion is wrong. Sure, eventually it would have the will to live, but it doesn't yet.

@foryoublue It doesn't feel either way. Which is why I personally don't believe abortion is wrong. Sure, eventually it would...

I know it doesn't yet, but neither does a newborn. But it will, so I just find it unfair to take away its chances.

It doesn't feel either way. Which is why I personally don't believe abortion is immoral. Sure, eventually it would have the will to live but it doesn't yet.

Was this inspired by The Newsroom?

Yaaaay! Stereotypes are fun!
This is stereotyping all Pro-Life supporters...
Btw, I'm pro-choice, but that doesn't mean this isn't fair to those who disagree.

@Yaaaay! Stereotypes are fun! This is stereotyping all Pro-Life supporters... Btw, I'm pro-choice, but that doesn't...

It's not really a stereotype. I'm not saying that they wouldn't prefer that babies be born to a nice environment, but they aren't the ones who have to worry about supplying the baby with everything it needs, so it's easy to say that abortion is wrong.

foryoublues avatar foryoublue Yeah You Are +3Reply

I, as a very pro-life person, find this stereotyping. I'm not trying to be the whole "UR OFFENSIVE SHUT UP" card, but I'm simply showing you that I'm a counterexample. Unless the life of the mother is in danger, I don't believe in abortion; it gives teenagers a 'get out of jail free card', and it promotes reckless lifestyle. The counterargument is rape, but I don't think the woman would want to not only experience that, but then feel the guilt of killing a fetus as well.

Adoption is the alternative I find to poversh or ill-care for the child on the mother's part. However, getting a child into the foster care system and making sure it is adequately cared for is another problem. They need to be worked on hand in hand. Mothers who cannot afford care for a child should have a way out without it taking away the life of a child; orphanages linking into foster care should be readily available to anybody. My common argument is what if our current president, or Einstein, or Newton, were aborted? That changes history itself. How many potential heroes throughout history have never had the chance? We need to care for the mother, the fetus, and the newborn, not just 'pro-life and forget'.

@ShadowofSin I, as a very pro-life person, find this stereotyping. I'm not trying to be the whole "UR OFFENSIVE SHUT UP" card...

Oh yeah, and your whole argument about how having an abortion can change history has two sides to it. Yes, Einstein could have been aborted, but Hitler could have been also. And I don't know how you feel, but the Holocaust is certainly a chunk of history that I wish had never happened.

foryoublues avatar foryoublue Yeah You Are +4Reply

But what are you actually doing to help them? My point is that it's easy to say that people shouldn't get abortions and then be able to walk away from it without having to actually care for the child. Are you providing food, diapers, clothing, childcare, shelter, etc. for mothers and their children in need? Probably not. So who are you to say that they must have a child when that child could very well end up in a terrible situation? And this is not really related to what I just said, but your rape argument is really offensive. How dare you speak for women and say what you think they want? You're not in their situation, and they're perfectly capable of speaking for themselves without you saying what you think is good for them.

I just wanted to say something: Hitler WAS supposed to be aborted. His mother's doctor convinced her not to, though. :)

SuperSukhs avatar SuperSukh Yeah You Are 0Reply

Yes, I donate very often to orphanages and homeless shelters, including any old clothes, to food drives, and to overall the institutions themselves. They COULD end up in a terrible situation, but they could also end up in an amazing situation, which is better than death.

And I apologize for bringing up rape, but I knew if I didn't you would. I'm not making the decision for them, I'm stating my opinion on the situation. You don't have to be offensive and aggresive toward the other side too. Keep this civil and mild mannered, and the debate on the issue, of if you're right, as the site is dubbed, will become much more logical, reasonable, and simple.

@ShadowofSin Yes, I donate very often to orphanages and homeless shelters, including any old clothes, to food drives, and to...

I am being civil. I'm not calling you names or denouncing your character or anything like that, I'm simply stating an opinion that I am passionate about.And that's good for you that you donate to places, but the reality is that that's only going to go so far. At the end of the day, it's easy to say that no one should have an abortion when you're not the one who has to deal with the reponsibilities of the child's care. I'm not in anyone else's situation, therefore I don't believe that I have the right to say what is best for them. Life isn't that simple as to be able to say that abortion is wrong in pretty much every case. There's a lot more to it than that. So I don't think that a bunch of people who have never been in such a difficult situation themselves should be the ones making these decisions.

My entire point was you stereotyped all pro-life people into one category, and said that none of us care what happens to them afterwards. I'm saying it isn't true. You can't say we don't, and then try to rebut the worth of it when we do. I wish there was a way for abortion to never be necessary, I really do, which is why we need to allocate SOMETHING towards helping mothers who are struggling with the decision, with making the decision. Sadly, in our society, there isn't that much of an interest in it. We attack lawmakers about abortion, but don't help the mothers whose situation it is.

I think pro-life and pro-choice parties can at least agree on that; that we need to help the mothers who're in these situations.

I'd much rather be adopted or live in a crappy house than be forced out of my chance to live.

@WinniethePooh I'd much rather be adopted or live in a crappy house than be forced out of my chance to live.

That logic doesn't really follow a linear scale of time and causation. Yourself now might, but if you were a fetus you'd have no preference.

"it would have been easier on my family if I had not been born"
"okay well too late."

"I love you, so I'm gonna give you away and probably never see you again." And yeah, it is pretty convenient. It's like killing a cancer cell. It doesn't have an actual life in the context of like when people say "get a life."

I would still rather be shipped off to someone that would care about me and provide well for me than be killed and never have a chance at life.

And if someone is considered dead when the heart isn't beating, they should be considered alive as soon as it starts--which is in the womb

@WinniethePooh I would still rather be shipped off to someone that would care about me and provide well for me than be killed and...

No one is arguing that it isn't alive. It has cells, so of course it's technically living. But that doesn't mean that abortion should be made illegal.

foryoublues avatar foryoublue Yeah You Are +2Reply