+290

It's terrible when people try to make teenage mothers feel bad for being excited about having a baby. Just because it was unplanned and maybe not at the best time doesn't mean she can't be happy that she's got a new life growing inside her, amirite?

justfuckmeups avatar Politics
7 42
The voters have decided that justfuckmeup is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I may or may not get off topic here.
I feel like this is a situation that every person would handle differently. It's one of those things where you might not be sure what's going to happen until it's already happening. I think the hardest part is knowing that you need to make a choice-- keep the baby, abort it, or give it up for adoption. It's a huge thing to decide, especially at such a young age, and there are a bunch of people looking down on you for your age and trying to tell you what to do. Every choice you make and every emotion you feel is under scrutiny, and no matter what you do, somebody's going to be unhappy with what you did and what you choose to do. Personally, I think a teenager has every right to be happy about bringing a child into the world. Even if it was unplanned and even if you're too young, it's hard not to feel happy just knowing that you're having a baby. I know it sounds selfish, and it's definitely something that most people don't want to do at that age, but somebody shouldn't have to feel bad for being happy about having a baby. When it comes down to it, having a baby is a very scary and exciting thing, and you can't help but feel somewhat sentimental.

@I may or may not get off topic here. I feel like this is a situation that every person would handle differently...

Not only that, but it's such a personal decision. I don't think anyone has the right to look down at the mother and say what she should or shouldn't do. It's her and her baby's father's decision. No one else's.

I wish I could YYA this more than once.

@I wish I could YYA this more than once.

You could make like 50 accounts, but that would be cheating and cheating is wrong.

justfuckmeups avatar justfuckmeup Yeah You Are +19Reply

I upvoted your comment so it's kind of like YYAing more than once.

I think. hmm smilie

Statefarms avatar Statefarm Yeah You Are +14Reply
@1803495

If a teenager is upset about having a baby, you can bet there will be people there to tell them that it's their own fault and that they have no right to be upset because they brought it upon themselves-- which is total bull, because even if it was your own fault, you have every right to be overwhelmed and upset.

Adrianas avatar Adriana Yeah You Are +23Reply
@1803495

Haters gonna hate, bitches gonna bitch.

justfuckmeups avatar justfuckmeup Yeah You Are +21Reply
@1803495

Rapists gonna rape.

Too far?

justfuckmeups avatar justfuckmeup Yeah You Are +3Reply

I think people worry that she's not taking the baby seriously. You can't just be like "Yay, babies are cute, I don't have to worry about this." But if you've taken everything into account, there's nothing wrong with being happy about it.

@LittleRed I think people worry that she's not taking the baby seriously. You can't just be like "Yay, babies are cute, I...

I totally agree.
I was meaning when the mom says something like "Can't wait to meet my baby" and people attack her about how she shouldn't be excited to be a mom.

justfuckmeups avatar justfuckmeup Yeah You Are 0Reply

If all pregnancies were planned, there'd be only about a hundred people in the world.

A 14 year old girl from my school recently had a baby. Everyone was congratulating her, and I got in a huge flame war on Facebook with a bunch of her friends. One of them even messaged me saying that it was perfectly okay for a teen to have a baby.

Blucatts avatar Blucatt No Way -10Reply
@Blucatt A 14 year old girl from my school recently had a baby. Everyone was congratulating her, and I got in a huge flame...

I think he meant (or thought) they were encouraging it. A teen having a baby is "okay" but it shouldn't be encouraged.

Statefarms avatar Statefarm Yeah You Are +12Reply

Once you're pregnant, it's okay to be excited about it. But it's usually not a good thing to be a teen mom.

I agree with you. I think it's a huge mistake to have a child at that age.

Most 14 year olds (there are many exceptions) aren't mature enough to be having sex at all, let alone having a baby.

Not knowing enough to use birth control properly and prevent a pregnancy is also a clear sign that you aren't ready for sex or parenthood.

I'm not saying we should hate on young mothers; making them feel bad about themselves won't help anybody. It's just that we shouldn't pretend that giving birth your first year of high school won't hurt you.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +5Reply
sparesecondss avatar spareseconds Yeah You Are +3Reply

Exactly. There are exceptions, of course. You could be a married 19 year old who decided to be a stay at home mom and your husband could have a stable job. But 95% of the time it would be better for you and the baby to just wait.

@1804189

But wouldn't it be better if the mom was determined to take on the challenge rather than moping around about it? I can understand the issue if the mother is just blissfully unaware of the difficulties, but if she's set on keeping the child then let her use her excitement as momentum into facing the future.

fireflyes avatar fireflye Yeah You Are +20Reply
@1804189

Just because the mother is young doesn't mean she can't give the baby a good life. My cousin had a baby when she was in her teens and they're doing just fine.
And if it ends up getting adopted, isn't that giving it an even better life? I fail to see how admitting that you can't take care of the child and giving it to a couple/family that really wants it and can care for it is. Most of the time when teen moms give their babies up, they have a specific family lined up to take the baby as soon as it's born. They don't just take it to an adoption center.

justfuckmeups avatar justfuckmeup Yeah You Are +8Reply
@1804189

My mom had a kid when she was sixteen. The dad left her and didn't pay for anything. She kept the child, got a job, and worked her way through college to get a nursing degree. She got a job as a nurse and was able to give both her and her daughter a good life. If someone is determined enough, they can do it.

@1804189

I have looked it up.
I'll admit, much of the time the child's life isn't great, but I don't like how you make it seem that most of the time the parents are strung-out druggies who are completely incapable of taking care of the child.

@1804189

You should meet my boyfriend if you think that's true. And this girl in my IB classes at school.

GiggityGoo22s avatar GiggityGoo22 Yeah You Are +1Reply
@1804189

Actually the small percent would be the children who live a terrible life just because their parents are young.
Yeah, they might not live a lavish life, but they usually do alright.

justfuckmeups avatar justfuckmeup Yeah You Are +1Reply
@1804189

I was just throwing something out there.
And more families are living in poverty or borderline poverty than are not anyways.

justfuckmeups avatar justfuckmeup Yeah You Are -1Reply
@1804189

No, but unfortunately those young mothers are the ones making the decision, not any of us.

@1804189

Ex-fucking-actly!