+276

If you could drop everything and travel the world (with only a backpack and the bare necessities) and learn new concepts, meet new people, and just go on an adventure... you would. Amirite?

douloureuxs avatar
12 21
The voters have decided that douloureux is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

If I could bring a couple people and not just go by myself.

Legit_Latins avatar Legit_Latin Yeah You Are +19Reply

Only if there were Pokémon involved.

As long as I have money for food, drinks, and a place to stay I would go in a heartbeat. Hell, I'd put a word out to a few online communities I'm in and see if we would meet up. Would be great fun.

names avatar name Yeah You Are +12Reply

That's my biggest dream, to just travel.

tags avatar tag Yeah You Are +11Reply
@tag That's my biggest dream, to just travel.

Hey now, getting high on an Asian beach sounds damn fun to me. I would leave that story as is haha

tags avatar tag Yeah You Are +2Reply

I hope you achieve it! But at the same time, please don't turn into a smarmy annoying smug little backpacking bitch while you're doing it! haha. They are the most irritating people you'll ever have the displeasure of meeting, and will bore you CONSTANTLY with their half-true tales of their travels. Example: "I had a mindblowing experience, island hopping and meditating on the beaches of Southeast Asia" - this means "I got high on beach in Thailand and fell asleep on it"

If you tell it as a fun thing, then at least you're being honest about it, but backpackers have this incessant need to find hidden depth and meaning in everything they do so they tell their stupid stories in such a way as to make themselves sound really brooding, deep and philosophical

Is there a shit ton of money in this backpack?

Boufakas avatar Boufaka Yeah You Are +9Reply

I would love to do that right now. Now I'm sad that I can't. :(

Maybe later in life, but I have other accomplishments and goals to work toward right now.

_Jojo_s avatar _Jojo_ No Way +4Reply
@_Jojo_ Maybe later in life, but I have other accomplishments and goals to work toward right now.

That's cool. I'm glad someone is saying this. I'm not much of a traveler myself. I prefer to settle somewhere and live more "locally" than be a constant tourist. But also, I like that you're reminding people here that "world travel" should not be considered a "higher" goal in our lives, as chronic travelers would all have us believe. Have you ever met a backpacker? Usually they're so damned smarmy and annoying. It's especially annoying when I bump into them in Beijing and they've been here 3 days and are saying "Yeah, I'm really getting the LOCAL experience, really immersing myself in the culture, it's great!" - I answer "Mate, you're sitting in the middle of an expat-filled bar district sipping a long island iced tea with your lonely planet guide out. Where's the local Beijinger in that?!"

This is my goal in life, to save up enough money and head out to see the world

eastcoasts avatar eastcoast Yeah You Are +3Reply

I feel like I'm the only person who has absolutely no desire to do that.

jens avatar jen No Way +3Reply
@jen I feel like I'm the only person who has absolutely no desire to do that.

Maybe not right now, maybe you never have... but one day in the future you MIGHT get the urge to do just this.

douloureuxs avatar douloureux Yeah You Are 0Reply

Personally, I'd love to have enough time to earn the triple crown of distance hiking.

I couldn't just leave my dogs.

@1814554

Uh, reality? Most of us can't just drop everything and leave. Not to mention the money it would take to be able to do that.

@1814554

I'm only 16, the cops would find me and take me back to my parents.

@1814554

Hey there's no need to be rude about it. If you really look into it, you'll probably find that these overseas backpacking trips are WAY cheaper than you think. For example, if you're traveling in Asia, it's EASY to save money on everyday expenses because the cost of living is so low. You can also stay in hostels, which cost way less than hotels, and are actually of a really high standard (provided yougo "Hostelling International" - everyone just imagines you have to spend TONS of money, but you really don't.

@1814554

Did you even read what I said? I can't afford a $10 ticket to work, round trip. I definitely can't afford a $1000 plane trip to even GET there. I take back the rudeness, it's not his fault I'm so poor this year.