-114

If you think about it, gravity really can't be proven true. Sure, it's a theory, but that's all it is, a theory. Now I'm not saying that gravity doesn't exist, I do believe in it, but it is very possible that another explanation could exist. For example, maybe the earth is constantly moving upwards at 9 m/s, so that's why we stay on Earth. We should be open to all possibilities and theories because science isn't always correct, amirite?

0 23
The voters have decided that this post is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

.....do you even understand what science is?

If Earth is moving upwards? Um, 1. wouldn't that be discovered already? 2. what direction "upwards"? Earth is a sphere, if the Earth was moving up towards the north pole, wouldn't it be moving down in the south pole's perspective? And objects would there be floating up? And on the sides of earth, things would be moving to the left/right? And 3. we'd also be going off our orbit, unless the entire universe shifts with us? Your theory doesn't make any sense.

@spareseconds If Earth is moving upwards? Um, 1. wouldn't that be discovered already? 2. what direction "upwards"? Earth is a...

Haven't you heard? The whole "earth is a sphere" thing is just a theory. Science might be wrong so I'm going to assume it's flat because that's all I've ever seen.

Marys avatar Mary No Way +1Reply

Gravity is proven with more things than just planets. Any two objects with math share gravitational pull. These things aren't just randomly thought of and accepted. They're accepted because they've been tested thousands of times

You're right! We should be skeptical about gravity. If you look at the orbit of Mercury, gravity is proven false! This is why in 1905 Einstein introduced his General Theory of relativity which said that gravity wasn't a force but actually a bend in 3 dimensional SpaceTime. And this has been proving right on almost all accounts. It even predicted black holes decades before their discovery. The irony is that black holes are the very thing that prove Einstein's theory false!

Isn't Physics fascinating.

@Scientist You're right! We should be skeptical about gravity. If you look at the orbit of Mercury, gravity is proven false!...

I was agreeing with OP until he said, "moving up at 9 m/s.." But then again, "We should be open to all possibilities and theories because science isn't always correct, amirite?" makes sense.

We should be skeptical, not necessarily of science but of where we get our information from. It's easy to lie or "bend the truth" with statistics. The news media does it on a daily basis.

His final point is correct, but he just has no understanding of gravity/scientific theories

Yea, my NW wasn't actually directed at the point of the post but that it's just rife with innacuracies. I kind of feel bad for it though.

I think that's one of the coolest things about physics. That mass actually kind of "bends" space.

It's a scientific law, not a theory.

goodtimes avatar goodtime No Way +14Reply
@goodtime It's a scientific law, not a theory.

Even if it /were/ a theory, it would be a /scientific/ theory, meaning that it's a fact.

Gravity law basically says if you drop an object, it will fall. It is explained through theory, because the theory of gravity explains the math behind how gravity works. Since OP put forth their own hypothesis and was referring to possibilities and theories and how it works, it can be safely assumed OP is talking about gravitational theory, not about the fact that two bodies with mass have attraction.

If we were only staying on Earth because it's moving upwards really fast, wouldn't the people on the bottom fall off?

I really hope this is troll and a commentary on people who don't believe in evolution because it's "just a theory."

Guys he's obviously not trying to disprove gravity, he's just saying that we shouldn't just immediately accept everything we're told. So many different theories that many people accepted as correct were proven wrong by people who saw things in a different light and were able to prove their own theory. The post isn't saying "gravity is wrong" it's saying we have the right to question the theory of gravity in order to perhaps make it even more logical no matter how slim the chances.

I think you're confused, i think you heard the term "gravitational theory" or "theory of gravity" our whatever, anyway, my point is, that there is a theory, however a theory says why something happens. Gravity does happen, we just don't know why, the theory tries to explain that.