+119

It's neat that the word for the fundamental building block of matter, atom, is so similar in pronunciation to the name of the man biblically represented to be the first man, Adam, who in Christianity would be considered a fundamental building block for humanity, amirite?

Soups avatar
4 7
The voters have decided that Soup is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Whenever we talked about atoms in Physics, this kid named Adam would be like, "what?" hehe smilie

eastcoasts avatar eastcoast Yeah You Are +8Reply
@eastcoast Whenever we talked about atoms in Physics, this kid named Adam would be like, "what?"

Slightly irrelevant, but my friend Ellen went through the same thing when we learned about ln logarithms in math. =)

What's even more interesting is that the idea of an atom, and the name "atom", came about around 400 years before Christianity by a man named Democritus. Kind of puts a new perspective on your post a bit, doesn't it.

@Scientist What's even more interesting is that the idea of an atom, and the name "atom", came about around 400 years before...

The post says 'interesting' and it labeled under 'coincidences'. I don't think she was meaning to imply anything either way.

Scientist, I am very aware of the timing of both events. My post wasn't meaning to imply anything about the derivation of each of the words, whether they came from each other or not.

Soups avatar Soup Yeah You Are +1Reply

My comment did sound a bit unintentionally hostile. I didn't mean it to sound that antagonistic. And I know you were just stating an interesting turn on the post, I was just clarifying.

Soups avatar Soup Yeah You Are 0Reply