+120

Hate is hate whether it's in cyberspace or not and it's annoying when people think cyber bullying isn't real bullying, amirite?

EpicGymnasts avatar Internet & Apps
0 11
The voters have decided that EpicGymnast is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

The internet is just a new place for bullying to manifest. There's nothing new about cyberbullying except that it takes place over a computer instead of face-to-face.

Cyber-bullying is to bullying what a mild cold is to diseases. It's not really a problem and all of the negative side-effects come from yourself. Cyber-bullying provides a lot of factors that regular bullying doesn't have. The victim can easily choose to leave the place they are being bullied. The victim can block their bully and effectively eliminate any trace of the bully's existence. The authority figures can actually prevent the bully from interacting with the victim. Biggest of all, in my opinion, the bully cannot physically touch the victim.

Compare that with traditional bullying: The victim is often bullied at school, a place they are required to be. The victim can't do anything to stop the bully from being a bully. The authority figures can't do anything short of scold the bully or move him out of the class; this doesn't prevent bullying outside of that school's jurisdiction. Like i said, the bully can get physical. Psychological abuse is one thing, physical abuse is another.

Those aside, the bullying someone inflicts over the internet shouldn't even matter. They don't know you, you don't know them. They aren't one of your peers. Nothing they say should hold any value.

@Mike_Hawk Cyber-bullying is to bullying what a mild cold is to diseases. It's not really a problem and all of the negative...

It's not necessarily that simple. For example what if my ex posted nude pictures of me on the Internet some where everyone I knew could see? What if I lost my job because of it? What if someone was making things up about me and it started affecting my daily life. Cyber bullying doesn't always stay online. Just because it's not physical doesn't mean it's not harmful or incredibly painful.

Beautiful_Rivals avatar Beautiful_Rival Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Beautiful_Rival It's not necessarily that simple. For example what if my ex posted nude pictures of me on the Internet some where...

Then I would try to find them wary smilie

But seriously, I think those branch out in to different situations. Posting pictures online of someone without their consent is actually illegal, and legality transcends the realm of bullying, in my opinion. Taking actions that result in the loss of a job also seem a little out of the league of bullying. Cyber-bullying has to stay online, otherwise it's just traditional bullying. If someone is bullying you not purely by online means, it's not cyber-bullying.

I'm not saying cyber-bullying can't hurt, but it really shouldn't. Personally, I've grown pretty thick skin due to traditional bullying, and no amount of cyber-bullying would affect me for a second.

@1824460

If they're bullying you over the internet and in real life, what's the point of even mentioning the cyber-bullying?

Yeah... its not like you can exit out of the browser, or even shut off your computer.

On one hand, Mike_Hawk, which I mostly support. On he other hand, if it's like screwing up your online reputation, or hacking a game account and stealing your high level or rare items, ten there's not much you can really do. Although it doesn't cause real harm, it negates the hours you spent building your online self up, and thus effectively stole hours from your life. Since Mike is neutral, and in slightly close to YYA, I YYA'd although I int fully agree.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are 0Reply

It's not real bullying. Go ahead, call me annoying, but its true. The person being bullied has full control to block, delete, or even retaliate in a stronger way on the internet.

Haters gon hate