-39

Obama has been a subpar president, amirite?

BigTRexs avatar Politics
0 22
The voters have decided that BigTRex is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

From an outside perspective, I think he's been doing a good job, but constantly undermined and hindered by factors not within his control, and then being blamed for them unjustly. There were always A LOT of people who wanted to see him fail, and have been doing EVERYTHING they could to stop him, and this is on all levels of society here, I'm not just talking big politics.

Maybe he's not as bad as I like to think he is, but compared to what? Pretty much every Presidential candidate I've seen in my life was pretty shitty.

Just. . . Shitty.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are +8Reply

I understand he can't magically solve everything but he's not the best president we've ever had.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +5Reply
@1825406

That's not saying much.

Obviously. He's added 6 trillion dollars to the US debt. I really don't care about his alleged accomplishments (other than getting Bin Laden), they don't make up for 6 trillion dollars.

AtheisticMystics avatar AtheisticMystic Yeah You Are +2Reply
@AtheisticMystic Obviously. He's added 6 trillion dollars to the US debt. I really don't care about his alleged accomplishments...

Most of his accomplishments are not "alleged." All you have to do is research from a reliable source and you'll find them proven. You dont have to agree with something for it to be considered an accomplishment. And not agreeing does nit mean you should discredit it, either. Also, how much money a president spends does not always determine his worth, rather why the money was spent and what unique situations led to it ( like the Great Recession, for example).

_Jojo_s avatar _Jojo_ No Way +3Reply

I agree. He didn't do anything drastically awful but he didn't do anything memorably good either.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +1Reply
@fEMMAnist I agree. He didn't do anything drastically awful but he didn't do anything memorably good either.

Ending the war in Iraq, bailing out our auto industry which is now back on top, creating over 4 million jobs, major health care plan passed, giving the go ahead for the mission that found Bin Laden. You might not find those all good, but are they not memorable? They'll definitely be in history textbooks.

_Jojo_s avatar _Jojo_ No Way +9Reply
@_Jojo_ Ending the war in Iraq, bailing out our auto industry which is now back on top, creating over 4 million jobs, major...

See, I just view most of those things as average accomplishments. The war in Iraq was scheduled to end during his presidency, he didn't really decide that. Bailing our auto industries out was a good move, I'll give him that. Creating 4 million jobs sounds great, but when you look at it more closely, he spend over a trillion dollars in stimulus to create them and still didn't lower unemployment to under 8%. I'm not saying he's the antichrist or anything, I'm just kinda disappointed that someone who campaigned in hope and change didn't actually change that much. That's why I won't vote to re elect him. He hasn't been good enough

BigTRexs avatar BigTRex Yeah You Are +4Reply
@BigTRex See, I just view most of those things as average accomplishments. The war in Iraq was scheduled to end during his...

That's fair. To me, average accomplishments make him an average president, not a subpar one. I agree with his fundamental principles, and i can see how you wouldn't find those things great, but to me, I still find them agreeable.

_Jojo_s avatar _Jojo_ No Way +3Reply

Also, if you say he hasn't changed "all that much," that is a truly broad and oversimplified assertion to make. Some more research can prove otherwise. We will not and cannot always feel an immediate change (I can name one, though. I can stay on my mother's healthcare until 26 while I pursue my college education). The economy is unfathomably hard to fix, and i in no way expected that to happen in 4 years. I'm just glad we are not at 10 unemployment anymore. Also, people jump to not reelecting a president when they don't feel change in four years, and i feel like that might hinder change in a way because the new guy starts all over, and when we don't feel change that could very well be there (like a new healthcare plan that is not in full throttle yet), we vote out, and it becomes a cycle. I'm not saying all of that about you, but still.

It really depends on who writes the textbook. Bailing outs and universal healthcare would not be written about favorably by people Libertarians or Republicans.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +3Reply
@fEMMAnist It really depends on who writes the textbook. Bailing outs and universal healthcare would not be written about...

Even if it's not favorable, that doesn't mean it is not memorable, though from your perspective, I guess not everything I listed would be memorably good. Still, there has to be something he did that you find good and memorable, like perhaps being the first president to openly endorse gay rights while in office. Also, the healthcare plan isn't really universal.

_Jojo_s avatar _Jojo_ No Way -1Reply
@_Jojo_ Even if it's not favorable, that doesn't mean it is not memorable, though from your perspective, I guess not...

Bail outs and Universal heathcare are both two different ways of throwing money at problems. Neither of those things are especially are really that new or interesting.
I'm not saying Obama never did anything good. He did a lot of good things. It's just that he won't be remembered like Reagan, Kennedy, or FDR.
However, maybe that will change if he gets re-elected.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are 0Reply
@fEMMAnist Bail outs and Universal heathcare are both two different ways of throwing money at problems. Neither of those...

I beg to differ. He will be remembered like those presidents, if only for the social chabges he brougt: being black and coming out in support of gay marriage. The healthcare plan is huge news, and he'll been known as The Great Recession president like RER is known as the Great Depression president.

I'm not saying that he's solved all of America's problems, but I do think he's put us on the right track (definitely socially, and I'm fairly certain fiscally as well).

If we really wanna get down to it, all presidents are subpar. Obama is just less subpar than others.