+169

It's stupid that having panic attacks or social anxiety is a trend, amirite?

Kristaas avatar
4 21
The voters have decided that Kristaa is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

As someone who most likely does has social anxiety (It's never been confirmed by a professional, but I get really nervous around new people and will avoid meeting new people at any cost) it irritates the shit out of me. Literally. I just crapped my pants.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +12Reply
@Frank_n_Furter As someone who most likely does has social anxiety (It's never been confirmed by a professional, but I get really...

Right? It makes people like you who actually suffer from them less credible because people will think you are saying it for attention when you're not.
On a different note why would someone make it so commonly known that they have bad anxiety attacks? It's an attention thing I suppose. How fucking sad.

Kristaas avatar Kristaa Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Kristaa Right? It makes people like you who actually suffer from them less credible because people will think you are...

Wait, how is it a trend? And what's bad about someone wanting to talk openly about their disorder?

@Suzywao Wait, how is it a trend? And what's bad about someone wanting to talk openly about their disorder?

Using the statistics from my school, about half the people say they have paranoia/social anxiety/sleep paralysis and all that stuff basically every night. It's hard to beleive that it's not an attention thing, mostly because these are said on social networking sites.

Kristaas avatar Kristaa Yeah You Are 0Reply

I knew that for a while (and still now, actually) claiming to have depression or OCD was the "trend", but this is new to me.

But... It's not a trend.

@Emperorerror But... It's not a trend.

According to this post, it is.

Kristaas avatar Kristaa Yeah You Are -3Reply
@Kristaa According to this post, it is.

But you can't just call something a trend if it isn't, saying it in the post doesn't make it true.

@Kristaa Fine whatever you say

I mean if they were, to my knowledge, trends, I would agree.

@Emperorerror I mean if they were, to my knowledge, trends, I would agree.

It's mostly in the 14-16/17 age group, though. I don't know how old you are but if you're older that might explain why you disagree.

Kristaas avatar Kristaa Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Kristaa It's mostly in the 14-16/17 age group, though. I don't know how old you are but if you're older that might explain...

I'm 15, so right around there. It's probably just something that is the case where you live, but not where I live.

@Emperorerror I'm 15, so right around there. It's probably just something that is the case where you live, but not where I live.

Your schools seriously doesn't have kid running around about how they're so OCD and ADD and social anxiety just cuz they like to be organized, couldn't pay attention for half a second, or got nervous talking to their crush or some such stupid shit? Lucky bastards.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are 0Reply

Its just a trend because everyone wants attention or wants to be unique or different in some way. Which is sad because then people don't find the real things that set them apart.

As somebody that actually has a degree of actual anxiety, I too find it intolerably obnoxious and rude. I don't flaunt it because it's real and personal and freaking scary. Other people shouldn't be able to run around saying they know about it unless they do.

WhatTheSpoots avatar WhatTheSpoot Yeah You Are +3Reply

If there are people who actually pretend to have that because it's "trendy", I want to fucking hit them. I've suffered from panic attacks and anxiety for years and have spent nights sobbing and terrified, wondering why the hell it's happening to me and what I did to deserve it.
The LAST thing you ever want to do is talk about it, because it's so humiliating and awful to go through. If it's bad enough, it's a living hell because your body's nervous system has gone to shit and you can't do anything about it.

I never tell anyone about my problems, because they assume I'm trying to be unique. But I actually have depression, insomnia, and ADD. And my depression causes a LOT of panic attacks, (especially when I miss my pill). Once I fainted at school and a guy helped me up, and I saw a girl I know who has a crush on him roll her eyes and stare me down. Then I heard that she thinks "I did it just for attention, like my depression." That girl hates me.

It is so incredibly annoying. It's like they want someone to comfort them like a John Green novel, but they don't realize that it is nothing like that. If kids think it is that cool to be anxious all the time, they can take my problems.

cookiedoughs avatar cookiedough Yeah You Are 0Reply